The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 9, 2012, 11:15 AM   #1
RedBowTies88

Would You Travel For Pleasure to an Anti-2A State?

Just curious how many people restrict their travel destinations to only places where they can carry? I personally try to travel mostly to places where I can carry since experiancing what it is like to be a real american is half the fun of the vacation.

Are there people out there who won't come to places like NY, DC, or HI for a vacation simply becuase you can't protect yourself?
Old October 9, 2012, 11:22 AM   #2
Technosavant

I don't restrict travel to RKBA friendly states. I will, however, think twice if such a place is having security issues- while the wife and I enjoy an occasional long weekend up in Chicago, right now I just don't feel like that's a great idea.

Even if we do go to RKBA friendly places (we go to Florida a couple times per year), I don't usually take a firearm with me- just don't want to deal with flying down and back with one when we spend our time in places with no real crime problem to speak of.
Old October 9, 2012, 11:30 AM   #3
BlueTrain

Why not? Last year we spent two weeks in the U.K. I never felt unsafe, even when driving, at least after the 1st half mile. And that was just after the riots in London. Next year we hope to travel to Germany, where they drive on the right-hand side of the road, only faster.

Are you looking for an absolutely risk-free vacation?
Buy War Bonds.
Old October 9, 2012, 11:31 AM   #4
Sparks1957

I really can't leave Vermont with a gun. We have no carry permits for other states to recognize in reciprocity agreements, and New York, Quebec, and Massachusetts are all unfriendly territory
Old October 9, 2012, 11:35 AM   #5
RedBowTies88

Bluetrain, No I'm just curious really about how much weight the average person gives the RKBA in their travels. I personally give it some weight just becuase I like being about to excersize "rights" I don't have at home.

To the gentleman from vermont, you could get a non-resident CHL. thats what we in the commie states have to do to be able to carry
Old October 9, 2012, 11:37 AM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

The issue is of no concern to me.
Old October 9, 2012, 11:43 AM   #7
9mm1033

This is still free America, I go anywhere I want. I could care less about unfriendly gun states. Right now I'm concerned about the NHL having a season to enjoy. Lighten up people, enjoy what each different state has to offer. After all, it's still free. Because for you young people, that may change in the near future.
Old October 9, 2012, 11:47 AM   #8
RedBowTies88

Very interesting. I have to admit I didn't expect the answers to be so one sided thus far.
Old October 9, 2012, 11:49 AM   #9
Sparks1957

Quote:
To the gentleman from vermont, you could get a non-resident CHL
Yes, I do know that. Not sure it's worth the bother for me, personally.
Old October 9, 2012, 11:53 AM   #10
RedBowTies88

It's up to you of course, but just to give you some info haveing gone through this about a year ago..

I took a 4 hour class and payed $75 bucks. Sent in all the paperwork with another $6x and in 60 days recieved my CHL (from UT) and it's valid for 5 years and costs $10 to renew.

For me only if I used it a couple times it's worth it. I just got back from a 4 day weekend in VA and carrying the entire time was very nice.

Last edited by RedBowTies88; October 9, 2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old October 9, 2012, 11:58 AM   #11
ChrisJ715

No, I will not travel anywhere where I am not free.
Old October 9, 2012, 11:59 AM   #12
mdd

Let's put it this way: I am glad I saw Chicago 10 years ago. With the way Illinois is run I'll probably never step foot in that state again. Vacations include spending money. I refuse to spend my money and help generate tax revenue to support a state that goes against our rights. There are plenty of destinations and enjoyable things to do and see in states that do support our rights as firearms Owners and enthusiasts.
Old October 9, 2012, 12:01 PM   #13
RedBowTies88

Could a moderater perhaps ad a pole or someone instruct me on how to do so?

Thinking along the lines of

-No concern
-Don't like it, but I'll do it
-Will not travel where RKBA is not reconized.
Old October 9, 2012, 12:05 PM   #14
wayneinFL

To me it's the principle of the thing more than a safety issue. Your state wants my money, but disregards my freedoms? Okay, if it makes your people feel safer, I'll stay out of your state and spend my money elsewhere. I can have just as much fun in someplace like FL as I can in a place like NJ, thank you very much.

I don't see it any differently than patronizing businesses that agree with me socially and politically.
Old October 9, 2012, 12:45 PM   #15
Sure Shot Mc Gee

With the price of gas these days I'm lucky I can make it to the other side of town.

In better times I did see allot of country side driving around, rather than thru a restricted town or State. Only did it once or twice though IIRC.
Old October 9, 2012, 12:54 PM   #16
gaseousclay

Quote:
Just curious how many people restrict their travel destinations to only places where they can carry? I personally try to travel mostly to places where I can carry since experiancing what it is like to be a real american is half the fun of the vacation.

Are there people out there who won't come to places like NY, DC, or HI for a vacation simply becuase you can't protect yourself?
I don't restrict travel based on carry-only states. one, I don't carry and will not live my life in fear of the unknown. two, we live in the US, not Afghanistan. Yes, there is higher crime in some of the states you've mentioned but that has absolutely no bearing on why i'll travel. If you're going to worry about crime you might as well get a helmet and stay home for the rest of your life.
Old October 9, 2012, 01:07 PM   #17
Gaerek

My family likes Disneyland and Hawaii...sooo...there's your answer.

I will admit, I really dislike travelling to the People's Republic of California, and last time I was there, I wasn't attacked, but I had a really strange situation occur that made me move into Condition Orange.

Of course, Disneyland is pretty safe (no shootings that I am aware of, and none I could find with a quick Google search) but not so sure about the areas around it.

Quote:
one, I don't carry and will not live my life in fear of the unknown.
That's exactly why I DO carry. I don't have to live in fear of the unknown while carrying. Without it, well, things can happen, and at least for me, it would always be in the back of my mind.
Old October 9, 2012, 01:52 PM   #18
gaseousclay

Quote:
That's exactly why I DO carry. I don't have to live in fear of the unknown while carrying. Without it, well, things can happen, and at least for me, it would always be in the back of my mind.
fair enough. i'm not passing judgement on anyone that chooses to carry, it's just not something i've ever felt I've needed to do. maybe i'm naive and maybe one day if my life is threatened i'll change my tune, but for now i'm just fine without a CCW.
Old October 9, 2012, 03:09 PM   #19
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Would You Travel For Pleasure to an Anti-2A State?
For pleasure?

Not a chance. I have on rare occasion had to go to NYC for business, and I did once attend a week-long seminar in California. That's enough.
Old October 9, 2012, 03:17 PM   #20
Pond, James Pond

Given that many countries around the globe have more restrictive gun laws than even the States being branded as gun-unfriendly, does that mean that those who won't travel to those states will therefore refuse to travel outside the country itself?

If that is the case that seems like a real shame: there's a lot of world out there to see and discover...
Old October 9, 2012, 03:30 PM   #21
CUBAN REDNECK

No.
Old October 9, 2012, 03:34 PM   #22
Tinner666

I've done it a few times, but could hardly wait to get back. Crime is in every country and every state. I like to think I'll be a wolf here and hate the thought of just being a sheep when elsewhere.
Old October 9, 2012, 03:38 PM   #23
Tom Servo
Staff

I've been to New York and DC in the recent past. I've been abroad. Does it bug me not being able to carry? A bit. Is it ERMAGERD THE END OF THE WORLD? No.

Quote:
If a gun is the only means I have of protecting myself, I haven't done a very good job at preparing at all.
Old October 9, 2012, 03:54 PM   #24
Kreyzhorse

I prefer to go armed but if I can't, it does not effect where I choose to go.
Old October 9, 2012, 04:00 PM   #25
RedBowTies88

Keep in mind as well, most anti states means more then just no ccw. It means no guns period. No just in case rifle/pistol even if its unloaded and cased in the trunk.