The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old June 7, 2010, 08:04 AM   #26
Double Naught Spy

If you are going to hunt, quick or "clean" kills are the most humane thing to do. No doubt about it.

However, the ethics of the kill itself doesn't answer the query

Quote:
Am I a hypocrite? Do I have a conflict of interests going here?
Let's look at how you describe your behavior.

Quote:
Come fall, I grab guns and go hunting. If I get lucky and draw a big game tag, then I'll do everything that is legal and moral to fill it. In other words, I plan on killing something.
Sounds a bit like blood lust and if killing for the sake of killing is why you are killing, then it is cruel.

So you said,

Quote:
If I am walking through the desert scrub and a quail takes off, my shotgun will launch pellets towards it in hopes of hitting it. I am going to try to kill the little bird. Jackrabbits? I don't even have to wait to shoot them.
You are shooting jackrabbits because you hate jackrabbits, because your land is being damaged by them, because the landowner has asked you remove them, because you plan to eat them? If you are killing them for some sort of emotional gratification, then it is cruelty, just like when people kill snakes simply because they are snakes, not because they have a rational reason to remove the animal such as the snake being poisonous and in close proximity to and hence a threat to people and domestic animals.

Quote:
When I explain these views to some folks, they call me a hypocrite. They see a conflict. How could I be opposed to animal cruelty and yet kill animals?
Depriving life because you enjoy killing is a form of cruelty. That would not be ethical as a hunter.

Are you a hypocrit? From your description, it sounds like you are fascinated with the act of killing that may be without a necessary point beyond emotional satisfaction.. After all, if you go hunting, you are going to kill something, right?

The hunters I respect hunt with goals in mind and if those goals can't be met, they don't kill anything and in fact, don't take any shots. Some hunt particular animals. All of them eat the non-pest game they kill, though some choose to fill their freezers with specific targeted animals, such as a specific trophy, either by rack, size, or both. Some eat the pest animals they kill. The pest animals are those killed because they pose a particular problem. They aren't randomly killing jackrabbits on state land because they think jackrabbits are bad. They kill them to consume them. They kill them because the game commission has mandated that they be eradicated for some reason.

Now, if you just enjoy killing but can justify your killing by filling your freezer or working for some state or ranch that needs a pest eradicated, then maybe you can get the best of both worlds. The concept may be a bit weird, but not unethical.

FYI, I am assuming you described your original position poorly - that your choice of words was not actually reflective of who you are.
Old June 7, 2010, 04:58 PM   #27
markj

Quote:
Even when you show them the conditions cattle are kept in on Feed Lots, and the crap corn they're fed -
Crap corn? I invite you to come to my lot and see first hand what they are fed. Corn is but a part of it all. We do not mis treat any of our cattle, to do so is a loss of money. Besides we do them a favor by eating them...
Old June 7, 2010, 10:02 PM   #28
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Let's stay with addressing Roy's question in the opening post. No more drifting.
Old June 8, 2010, 04:41 AM   #29
shaunpain

I think the OP's question was sufficiently answered. Hunting is for food and sport. Cruelty to animals is for "fun" or an issue of neglect.

We don't kill other humans for fun. There is usually an intended purpose. Because they are heinous criminals or enemies of the state.

Basically, torture to any biological creature is recognized practically worldwide as a crime. I think anyone can understand that, no?
Old June 9, 2010, 04:40 PM   #30
doofus47

Whom have you been talking to?

1. you take care of animals that are dependent upon you.
2. you don't go out of your way to cause pain in less powerful creatures for some twisted enjoyment
3. When you hunt, you hunt in season and by regulation. You eat what you kill.

Quick summary: life isn't a commodity to be abused or wasted. Where's the problem?
Wish more people thought that way.
Old June 29, 2010, 12:52 AM   #31
ncpatriot

I don't hunt all that much, have yet to get my 1st kills. Don't have much time or a handy place. I go with inlaws deer hunting, have hunted for rabbits. Have no problem with it. I wouldn't hunt bear. I have no desire to hunt doves. They soothe my soul too much to listen to them coo. I move turtles off the road when I see them. I don't kill any nonvenemous snakes, even let copperheads go if they are not aggressive. I love dogs and cats, won't hurt them unless I am attacked. I guess we all have our sentiments about different things. I would hunt geese or ducks, would not hunt hawks or other birds of prey, even if legal.
Old June 29, 2010, 01:28 AM   #32
RGR3/75

we were meant to take care of God's creatures not abuse them. that being said, animals don't have souls, they don't have rights, they don't have feelings. they are driven by instinct. this however, gives no reason to treat them with cruelty. we need to eat so we hunt. bottom line. i'll go ahead and just say however, there seems to be this huge push for animal "rights" but some could care less for another human. i was reading some comments on yahoo news about the oil spill and there were people glad that those 11 oil workers died and were horrified that the marine life was dying... they would rather see their neighbor die than some animal if the choice was theirs.
Old June 29, 2010, 01:29 AM   #33
RGR3/75

i feel like i'm going to get hate stomped now... haha
Old June 29, 2010, 10:30 AM   #34
langenc

"" I have also gotten into an altercation with a father who was smacking his little boy around in the grocery store.""

I wasnt there but for a parent to try and correct a child to day is bad. The kid wants the cookies and mom says NO. How do you correct. Many just hollar. In the cood ole days opne could 'correct'. But now do that and the sheriff will be waiting in the drive when you get the kid and the cookies home.

Schools have the same problem!!
Old June 29, 2010, 11:32 AM   #35
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Looks like we've pretty well covered the OP's concern, and are heading off in Wanderland.
Closed Thread