The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 24, 2008, 08:16 PM   #1
popeyespappy

Will a double rifle case really hold two weapons?

I've got a S&W M&P 15 and Remington 1187 Police. I'd like to put them both in a single hard side case. I'm thinking about a Storm iM3200. According to the Storm website the interior dimensions of the 3200 are 44 x 14 x 6. Anybody out there ever done done anything like this before? Will a pistol griped optics mounted AR and a standard configuration shotgun fit in a 14" wide gun case?
Old October 24, 2008, 08:38 PM   #2
tranks

i've got a cheapo double case that is 52"x11"x4" and it easily holds my 870 w/ shurshot stock and my scoped marlin .22lr. i have about 1" of clearance all the way around each one. theres not much room left. could probably squeeze a handgun in there too if i really wanted to.

i'd say depending on the length of your shotgun, it would fit easily.

"Stan, what did I tell you about watching the Osbournes? It's going to make you retarded!" Stan's Mom (south park)
Old October 24, 2008, 08:38 PM   #3
johnwilliamson062

I would certainly go with pelican if I was going to get a real case. I would worry about the two weapons clanking together within the case. Have to careful how you pick the foam out to make sure they don't.
Old October 24, 2008, 08:56 PM   #4
tranks

mine just has the eggcrate foam on both sides. its difficult to close with two firearms in it.

does the pelican have foam that you're suppose to cut to the shape of your firearm?

"Stan, what did I tell you about watching the Osbournes? It's going to make you retarded!" Stan's Mom (south park)
Old October 24, 2008, 09:49 PM   #5
popeyespappy

Storm vs. Pelican

Both the Storm and the Pelican rifle size cases come with at least 3 layers of foam. Top, Bottom, and Middle. The middle layer of foam for the rifle size Storm case has to be cut. The Pelican can be purchased with Pick-and-Pluck foam. The pick and pluck would probably be easier to use but the interior dimensions of the Pelican is 11" vs. 14" in the Storm case. An AR style rifle with optics mounted is pretty darn tall so I think the Storm would be a better bet to try to get an AR and a shotgun in it but I'm just not sure if I'll be able to get them both in even the 14" case with padding on top, bottom and in between the 2 weapons......
Old October 24, 2008, 10:22 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

Forget 3 layers. The firearms not moving is more important. Take one out unless you're flying commercial air.
Old October 25, 2008, 11:20 PM   #7
bear300us

Did you ever try to put one of them in a little car??
Old October 26, 2008, 08:14 AM   #8
Kreyzhorse

My experience with doubles is that they'll hold two rifles but generally work better with guns that do not have scopes on them.

My scoped rifles each ride in their own double case.
Old October 29, 2008, 10:33 PM   #9
onthejon55

assault rifles only fit in one kind of case, an assault rifle case
Old October 29, 2008, 11:45 PM   #10
bclark1

Yes.

I have a super-cheap Ironite Black Diamond case that's 15" wide. Eggcrate foam on either side. Fits two scoped rifles, or an AR with an optic over the carry handle and an unscoped rifle, just fine. Remarkably, I never had a problem flying commercial air with this. I decided to stop gambling, though.

I now also have a Pelican 1750 that's 13" wide. Three layers of flat foam. It fits two scoped rifles. It is a bit harder to close with all 3 foam layers, but it does close.

For the specifics, my AR is a carbine-length A2 with a fairly large red dot on top of it, and it has fit fine (meaning neither weapon is at the very edge of the foam) in the cheap case with an M1A. Seems comparable to your AR/shotgun configuration.