The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 17, 2008, 09:17 AM   #1
djonathang

Time in the case cleaner?

Hello All,

I have a RCBS vibratory case cleaner. I was wondering how long folks tumble their casings? I figure I have about 100 in at a time.

Thanks.

DG
Marlin 39A - Something to shoot while the .270 cools off.
Old July 17, 2008, 09:58 AM   #2
wncchester

Well, I tumble long enough to get the finish I want. Unless I forget and run them longer. That means from maybe a couple of hours up to a day or so.
Old July 17, 2008, 10:16 AM   #3
mkl

Two hours in my Lyman Turbo Tumbler gives me the finish I want. Longer times don't seem to improve the finish.

Hint: If your tumber tries to "walk" as mine does, placing it on top of a sheet of that rubber "no slip" shelf lining material will keep it in the same place. Most RV supply places and marine supply stores carry the stuff.
Old July 17, 2008, 11:27 AM   #4
djonathang

Thanks all.

I seem to be doing it right. I've been leaving them in for 12 hours. Perhaps a bit excessive, as they do appear pretty nice after fewer hours.

As far as creep goes, I find sweeping garage floor before setting the unit down keeps things in place. Without a good sweep, I find that the fine layer of dust makes the unit look like a curling stone as it travels to the end of the cord.

I like the rubber mat idea. Now, to explain to my spouse what happened to the cupboard liner!

DG
Old July 17, 2008, 12:05 PM   #5
The Lovemaster

Here's my method: I use walnut media and a capful of NuFinish car polish every other load. I run it overnight for seven hours and get a beautiful shine.
Old July 17, 2008, 12:09 PM   #6
djonathang

Interesting.

I'm still using the powder that comes with the unit for polishing. I wonder what that material is, and how it relates to car polish.

By the way, for how long is the media good? In other words, when does it need to be replaced?

DG
Old July 17, 2008, 01:33 PM   #7
Slamfire

I have a Thumler’s Tumbler, a rotary tumber. Been using my for about 20 years.

I put in cases at night when I get back from a rifle match, let them tumble till morning, all the gunk is off. This is with plain corn cob media.

I purchased walnut media with impregnated jeweler’s rouge. I decided I was really going to polish some brass. So I left the brass in the tumbler, rotating away for at least a week. The jeweler’s rouge had pounded itself to a sort of coating. The inside of the cases had a thick coating of red jeweler’s rouge, and I had to use brushes and solvents to get most of the stuff off.

I think a day is long enough.
Old July 17, 2008, 02:28 PM   #8
Darren007

Quote:
By the way, for how long is the media good? In other words, when does it need to be replaced?
I have had the same corn cob media in my tumbler for the last three years. It still makes the cases as shiny and clean as the day I put that media in there.

Im not sure how long its supposed to be good for. But I havent really found a reason to switch it out.
Old July 17, 2008, 02:32 PM   #9
Lavid2002

Heres a tip, toss a peice of dryer sheet in with the media before you sift, it will collect dust and debris whilst tumbling, leaving less gunk in the air when sifting time comes. Also, wiping off the cases is easier.
Old July 17, 2008, 09:34 PM   #10
Hawg

I usually run mine from 4-6 hours, sometimes longer if I forget about it but never longer than overnite. Right now I'm using Meguiar's car polish and it does a really good job. Replace media when it gets dirty. How long that takes depends on usage. Mine lasts about six months or so doing 50-100 +/-cases every two weeks +/-
Old July 17, 2008, 10:08 PM   #11
CPTMurdoc30

I am anal about my brass so I tumble them for about 2 hours once I get home from the range. That is unless i get side tracked and and leave them in there for a day or two shoot I left them in for 3 days once. Boy where them shiny cases.
Old July 17, 2008, 10:50 PM   #12
Don2

Media

I've read people actually wash their media in soap and water, then set out in the sun to dry??
That doesn't sound like a bad idea and I doubt it would hurt it....!!

I have some old corn cob media that I will try it on before I buy new stuff...It just may work and save me $20....

Heck...This Texas sun will dry it in no time and may even bleach it out too :-)

Don2
Old July 18, 2008, 05:13 AM   #13
3gunfreak

[QUOTE][/Here's my method: I use walnut media and a capful of NuFinish car polish every other load. I run it overnight for seven hours and get a beautiful shine. QUOTE]

NuFinish...this I gotta try!!........they both smell the same.....not that I make a habit of sniffing case polish..
Old July 18, 2008, 07:11 AM   #14
Martyn4802

Just a quick comment about tumbling. There is a lot of lead dust generated by tumbling. Please use some kind of mask to keep from inhaling the lead dust, so it doesn't get into your body.
Old July 18, 2008, 05:00 PM   #15
Alleykat

I'm using an appliance timer, 50/50 corn cob/walnut mix with NuFinish, and I never have any reason to go beyond two hours.
Old July 18, 2008, 06:30 PM   #16
HDDeluxe

When your media starts to smear the brass it is time to change it out. It doesn't sound like you are doing enough pcs to worry about changing the media for a long time. Since I do thousands of pcs of brass it doesn't take long. Therefore I buy the crushed walnut from the pet stores since it is cheaper.
Old July 22, 2008, 05:27 PM   #17
gunney 67

Here's something I learned the hard way. It may be of value. Avoid using any case cleaners with ammonia. It reacts with the brass and can cause them to become brittle over time. Potential for a case failure from chamber pressures! (No, but I did have to throw out a bunch of brass rather than risk it)
Old July 22, 2008, 07:13 PM   #18
Hawg

Quote:
Avoid using any case cleaners with ammonia. It reacts with the brass and can cause them to become brittle over time
True it does but I used Brasso for years. All you have to do is run the tumbler with Brasso and no brass till it's mixed in and then let the ammonia evaporate. Once it evaporates it's good to go and won't harm brass. I use something else now but in a pinch I'll go back to it in a heartbeat.
Old July 22, 2008, 10:26 PM   #19
aerod1

I have a cheap "Chicago" tumbler from Harbor Freight and it does a great job in 2 - 3 hours. I usually clean 100 cases at a time but I have done more.
U.S. Navy Veteran (USS Midway V-1 Division)
Old July 22, 2008, 11:05 PM   #20
BntBrl

That Thumblers, I have the 12lb and I put some brass with only walnut hulls in it. I filled the wheel about 3/4 up with walnut and then the rest of the wway with brass. The level sank back down to total 3/4 or so full. The brass was fairly dirty but it took 5 days of tumbling to get it to shine.

Is the thumblers tumbler able to hold liquid? I saw a post that had a liquid soap and steel shot.
Old July 23, 2008, 11:50 AM   #21
CrustyFN

I use the Cabela's tumbler. I run around 400 to 500 cases at a time depending on the caliber. I use walnut from the pet store, add 3/4 cap full of Nu Finish car polish, add a paper towel cut into around ten pieces and run for two hours. All of the brass comes out like new.
Rusty
Old July 23, 2008, 12:02 PM   #22
ZeSpectre

2-3 hours (I built a shut off timer)
Old July 23, 2008, 03:51 PM   #23
djonathang

Rusty,

The only thing missing from your special mix is some voodoo!
Old July 23, 2008, 05:29 PM   #24
djonathang

Rusty,

The only thing missing from your special mix is some voodoo!