The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 4, 2000, 03:33 AM   #1
bk40

Need a little info before buying a keg of this stuff. What shape is this powder and how well does it measure?

I'm looking for a powder for high performance jacketed loads in 9mm and 45acp- any other suggestions? TIA.
Old June 4, 2000, 08:04 AM   #2
GeneS

Power Pistol is shaped much like Bullseye but the grains are slightly thicker. It seems to run through a powder measure about the same. It works great in 9mm, haven't tried 45. One drawback, if you shoot it in low light, it has a lot of muzzle flash.
Old June 4, 2000, 11:16 PM   #3
bk40

GeneS, thanks for the info.
Old June 5, 2000, 09:04 AM   #4
Strayhorn

I've tried it in 9mm and .45ACP with satisfactory results - every cartridge went "boom" and most shots were in the black. It's a lot less dirty than Unique, and in the 9mm it had a bit less flash than Bluedot - which ain't saying much as they both have a pronounced flash, but it sure is exciting to fire off a few rounds as the sun goes down.

I haven't got enough data to publish any load results, but I liked it enough to buy a second pound at the last gun show.

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC

Old June 5, 2000, 07:07 PM   #5
nwgunman

bk40: I just got to test this powder during a low light training exercise and GeneS isn't kidding! The muzzle flash is terrible. For this reason I am going to stop using it and continue my search for a medium velocity ball powder for my hand gun re-loading. I did have good results with PowerPistol in my Dillon 550B as far as how it ran thru the powder measure. But the flash is just way too much. Stay safe.
Old June 5, 2000, 08:53 PM   #6
bk40

Thanks for the info everyone. PP may not be a good choice, eh?

I'm looking for 1 good powder for jacketed 9mm (115-124) and .45 (185-230)... what about AA#5 or perhaps VV N340?
Old June 6, 2000, 03:05 PM   #7
Reg

I have just starting using Power Pistol. So far I have only tried it in .357 SIG, but 9mm is next. The main reasons I tried it were because I read that it has some of the highest velocities and also gave some of the most accurate results.
So far, I have found this to be true.

In regards to the muzzle flash.... Yep, it sure does! But to me, that is not a bad thing... I get a real kick outta shooting these loads!! These aren't rounds that would ever be used for carry purposes, so why not have some fun with spectacular muzzle flash in a fast and accurate load?

Oh yeah, to address the original question... it does meter as well as any other ball or flake powders I have used. (actually better than most flake I've tried)

[This message has been edited by Reg (edited June 06, 2000).]
Old June 6, 2000, 06:30 PM   #8
nwgunman

Reg: A "spectacular muzzle flash" is a tactical liability in a low light shooting situation. Not being able to afford to train with my factory carry ammo (for example, we went through about 400 rounds in 2 days this weekend-a relatively low round count) I need a powder that has a lower flash. If you don't worry about such things...then don't worry. Stay safe.
Old June 6, 2000, 11:23 PM   #9
bk40

Guys, thanks for all the info. I will pass on the Power Pistol- don't want the muzzle flash.

One of the few disadvantages of living in the country is not being able to hop down and buy a lb of this or that powder to try. I gotta drive almost 100mi to buy powder in a gunstore.
Old June 7, 2000, 08:10 PM   #10
nwgunman

bk40: Even if you live "in town" getting powder can be iffy. Often you will have to place an order with your local dealer. There is "mail order" available from folks like Wideners but you gotta buy bulk for the savings. What would really be nice is a "sampler pack" so you could test out different powders from different manufacturers without having to buy an entire 7000 grains (1 lb) at a time, of which you burn about 350 (50 rounds at 7 grains) then what? Do a "volcano" with the rest? Stay safe.
Old June 8, 2000, 12:04 AM   #11
plinkr

bk Yep,tried pp for while,no problems or complaints. except the evening FLASH. wow,what a trip in a short barreled .44sped.

wish I had your problem....I have to drive 100 miles round trip to shoot,bet a dollar u don't. (g)
Plinkr
Old June 8, 2000, 01:02 AM   #12
bk40

nwgunman-
I like the idea of sampler packs! Maybe we need to call on the powder manufacturers to provide such, as I believe it would generate more sales. 'course, what would I use to eradicate fire ant hills w/o leftover powder

plinkr-
you got me beat on that one buddy. I frequently chrono right outside my back door... and my personal clay pit shooting range is a mere 3 miles down the road