The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 7, 2004, 04:56 PM   #1
Ruger # 1

Good deer bullets for the .243 Win.

Anybody have any pet .243 loads they've used on deer ? I'm considering trying some new bullets, specifically the 85 gr. or 90 gr. Barnes X bullet, or the 90 gr. Swift Scirocco. My pet load uses the 85 gr. Partition right now, but I like to experiment too much to use one load exclusively.If anyone has used any of these bullets , or any others for that matter, I'd really appreciate hearing about it. I'm sure much has already been written about the .243 , but I'm relatively new to this site. Thanks !
Old December 7, 2004, 08:39 PM   #2
Smokey Joe

Deer loads

IMHO you are on the right track w/the Partition but I'd go heavier. My #1 son is recoil-shy so a .243Win became his deer gun. The heavier bullet would have more energy for penetration when it gets there than the lighter bullet, all else being equal. I like a heavier caliber for deer myself, think the .243 is marginal for deer, but if you are a good enough shot to place your shots, and a good enough sport to pass up a shot that is iffy, and a good enough anatomist to know the difference, then it works.

--Smokey Joe
Old December 7, 2004, 09:40 PM   #3
Lycanthrope

Anywhere near the near the front shoulder with the Hornady 87gr Spire point (42gr of 4350, caution: max load) and they fold.

With the .243 I'm leary of using the Barnes. It will penetrate, but at longer ranges they don't expand well and that's a small hole to start with. I was sorely dissapointed by the 180 Scirroco out of a .300 win mag as it had ZERO expansion at 380 yards. The Partition you are using is a decent compromise in that caliber. My opinion is stay there or try the Hornady.
Old December 11, 2004, 05:19 PM   #4
Danindetroit

With a 1 in 10" twist the Hornady 100gr rn is accurate out of some guns, it has range limitations, because of BC, but really seems to anchor the deer. A DNR officer uses them out of an NEF ultra varmint. It seems that the new bullets with BT's, and polymer tips are so long that 85gr is about the best load now.
Old December 13, 2004, 08:02 PM   #5
Ruger # 1

Thanks for the input. I love experimenting with different loads, but there are far too many bullets on the market to try them all. If anyone else has any recommendations, I'd still appreciate the advice. Thanks again to the advice I've already received.
Old December 16, 2004, 08:46 PM   #6
Bob C

In my .243 #1, the most consistently accurate load is the 100 grain Sierra flat base spitzer with a warm load of RL-22 and a standard powder.
Old December 17, 2004, 07:03 AM   #7
Nnobby45

I think BobC is on to something. 100gr Sierras shoot well in my 6mm ICL. Remember that a Barnes X bullet is very long due to the copper construction. The Swift Scirocco is likewise very long and my 1 in 12 twist won't handle them. You may be ok with 1 in 10 twist, but try those Sierras. I think 100 grains make better deer bullets in the 6mm class rifles. Barnes X and Nosler Partions may be alright in lighter weights, but don't forget that 85 gr bullets, in general, are Varmint bullets.
Old December 17, 2004, 11:52 AM   #8
Mr. Chitlin

A friend that I hunt with has used an old Savage .243 and Remington Factory load 100 grain Cor-Lokt ammo for probably 25+ years, and I don't remember him ever losing a deer, and he takes 2 to 3 every year. He says that since he has had such good luck with them, he isn't interested in trying anything different.
Old December 17, 2004, 10:34 PM   #9
wingman

In my younger hunting years I reloaded 243 for friends and family, 85gr
sierra hp, I seen more one shot kills with this round then with other calibers such as the 3030, 30.06. This may be due to the fact folks using the 243
were placing shots better,?, I dont know, but it sure had a quick kill effect
on good size deer.Most shots were made at 150 yards or less. I like the
243 and in the hands of a fair shooter its a great hunting tool.
Old December 18, 2004, 12:33 PM   #10
Ruger # 1

Thanks for the advice. I've shot several deer with my .243, but I was just looking for something different.

Wingman, you said that you have seen the 85 gr. Sierra used a lot. I have used this bullet on deer with very good results, but I've never hit the shoulders of the deer I have shot with it. Could you give me some more specifics about your experience with it? Shot placement, were there many exit wounds etc.? I contacted Sierra about this bullet, and they recommended using it on deer, but it's always been my choice for a varmint load.Thanks again for all the advice!
Old December 18, 2004, 08:27 PM   #11
wingman

Quote:
Shot placement, were there many exit wounds etc.?
Most I shot were hit just back of the shoulder, no exit wound, bullet
would enter perhaps -4to5inches and basic "seemed" to explode, no blood
trail to follow they dropped where they stood. My father, 70+ at the time
who had used a 30-40krag for years purchased a 243 model 70 winchester
after seeing this and he also made a number of one shot kills with this bullet.
I'm sure many would disagree however it was very effective for me, of
course as I said most shots were 150yards or less.

I would rather depend on accuracy then a large caliber.
Old December 19, 2004, 02:51 PM   #12
AZ Gun Collector

i found a sierra 105gr spitzer SP 38.5gr H414 was hard enough hitting and grouped 4-7" @ 800 meters in my savage 112 24"
not saying it will work wonders in your gun ballistics is a funny field and different rifles even in the same make/model will show a preferance for different bullets and powders.
sean
Old December 20, 2004, 02:48 PM   #13
Wolfen

To be honest Ruger.... I've had bad luck with the PArtitions on deer size animals. I've had inconsistent expansion, due to the thin size of deer. The Partion ust doesn't seem to expand fast enough. I've switched my .243 to the 95 gr Ballistic Tip, and shot six deer it. Each one dropped where they were. Im using IMR 4320 with Federal primers and getting excellent groups. I'd give the Ballistic tip a try. BTWE, Winchester loads this bullet in their Supreme ammo, although I prefer to "roll my own".
Old December 24, 2004, 11:12 PM   #14
Ruger # 1

Thanks for all the info! It's great to see that there are more .243 fans out there!

Wolfen, you said you had shot six deer with the 95 gr. Ballistic Tip. I am really considering trying that bullet. What ranges did you shoot your deer at? What was your shot placement? Did the bullets exit?

Thanks again for all the help!
Old January 6, 2005, 02:00 PM   #15
Wolfen

Sorry it took so long to respond, holidays and all.....\

The longest shot of those six was about 190 yards, and it dropped where it was standing. I've also taken one at about 70 yards with the same load. Both expanded well. The 190 yd shot - the bullet went through both lungs and was found lodged under the skin on the opposite side.

Hope that answers your questions!
Old January 6, 2005, 02:36 PM   #16
Rmouleart

I use a 100gr Hornady interlock sp/ fb or bt both shoot great, powder's used RL19 or IMR7828, CCImag primers/Federal GoldMatch GM210M, Lee factory crimp, Win brass, they shoot one hole at 100 yards. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.
Old January 7, 2005, 02:52 AM   #17
xmastree

Sorry, can't resist this revamp of an old joke:

Customer: "Are these bullets good for deer?"

Salesman: "No, they can kill them!"

:barf:
Old January 9, 2005, 01:40 AM   #18
Jeff Loveless

I wouldn't blame all negative 243 comments on poor shot selection.

My experience with the 243 was terrible and I'm glad to see others that have had better results. I finally ditched mine about a year b4 Nolser brought out their Ballistic Tip for it. I think that is as good a deer bullet as there is. I was using Sierra 100 gr bullets and was losing more deer than I found. The ones that I did find after running off hundreds of yards were shot in the shoulder/chest, but still took off leaving no blood trail. He might die within 10-15 seconds, but a deer can run along ways in 10 seconds.

I used that Mod 70 for over 10 pitiful years, always swearing to get rid of it b4 next deer season. But I lived out in the country back then and carried that rifle with me every day and shot it well too. I shot crows, skunks, armidillos, turtles, pine cones, you name it I could hit it, including deer. That's not brag, I just shot it alot and new I could hit what I was aiming at. That is what finally did it in for me. I ran out of excuses one day, finally realizing that it just had too small a hole at the end of the barrel.

I lost a very nice buck one morning that was standing still, broad side, about 50 yds and I had a good rest, no hurry, and a rifle that I shot often and had confidence in, at least accuracy wise. He staggered a bit and took off. Long story short, no blood, no trail, no deer. I went that afternoon and traded it. It was a good rifle, perhaps better with newer bullets, but it was strictly a farm yard varmint gun for me and I couldn't afford to buy another without trading. Probably the most accurate rifle I've had.

I would never argue that power is better than shot placement, but I think having both is even better.