The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 1, 2013, 10:10 PM   #1
Tall Pine

Help me identify this 586 no-dash scope mount (see pics)

I am going tomorrow morning to look at this 586 to buy, and it has a scope. But its a no-dash, which means it was not factory drilled and tapped for a scope mount. I think the factory drilled and tapped started in the dash 3 or 4 models.

My question is, can anyone tell if the use of this specific mount means that the gun has been drilled and tapped by the owner or his gunsmith, or is it possible it uses the factory holes that the rear sight uses. I dont plan to take it off before I buy it, just isn't feesible. If it looks like it was installed correctly and is sitting soundly and aligned, I will probably assume that it was installed correctly, drill holes or no.

If someone can tell me what brand of scope mount it is, I can then track down the install instructions and tell that way. Thank you for any input you can give. The scope is a Tasco red dot.

Thanks,
Tall

Old January 2, 2013, 12:20 AM   #2
Sevens

That's a shame. It's got the great adjustable front sight...and the rear sight is missing and with that on there. Best of luck.
Old January 3, 2013, 10:31 AM   #3
kahrguy

The base looks like a short weaver rail. Not sure way knowing is needed but pull the scope and see if it looks like a weaver. Not a big deal to pull it . I see the barrels vented?? Not a bid deal to put the open sites back on it ether. If I was buying it I would want the base off just to see how well the frame is .

I have pulled a old mount off a dan wesson revolver a couple times over 20 years just to check, clean and lube and reinstall and found my practical zero did not change enough to matter for hunting.
Old January 3, 2013, 02:54 PM   #4
Sevens

Quote:
I see the barrels vented??
No, what you see there is the dial for the four-position adjustable front sight they offered for a short time.
Old January 3, 2013, 03:08 PM   #5
mrt949

SW had revolvers with special sights for silhouette shooters years ago .Call SW.
Old January 3, 2013, 05:39 PM   #6
kahrguy

I'll take your word on that as I shoot dan wessons and have no real inerest in s&w revolvers.