The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 10, 2013, 04:50 PM   #1
Fingers McGee

SS Uberti Colts

Just scored a Uberti stainless steel fluted cylinder 1860 Army that was made in 1983 for $216.09. I am one extremely happy camper. The grips are a little bunged up; but, they're fixable or if not, can be replaced. Here's a photo.:

I'm still looking for more of these Uberti SS Colts:

I am seeking the location of, and any information available on a line of stainless steel percussion Colt revolvers made by Uberti and imported by Allen Firearms, Santa Fe, NM; Southwest Muzzleloaders Supply, Inc. Angleton, TX, Uberti USA, and possibly others in the early to mid '80s. Phil Spangenberger did an article about these stainless revolvers in the October 1983 issue of Guns and Ammo Magazine. According to the article, the models that were being imported were the 1851 Navy, 1860 Army, 1861 Navy, 1862 Pocket Navy, and 1862 Pocket police. Thanks to Dr. J.L. Davis of RPRCA, Claremore, OK, I have a 1984 price list for Uberti products that lists fourteen different models of Stainless Steel Colts produced by Uberti at that time. Subsequent price lists expanded the line to 16 models by adding 4 ½ inch barreled Pocket Navy and Pocket Police. The complete model list, known so far, is:

1851 Navy, Oval Triggerguard Revolver, Cal. .36
1851 Navy Squareback Triggerguard Revolver, Cal. .36 *
1851 Navy “Sheriff’s Model” Oval Triggerguard Revolver, Cal. .36 *
1851 Navy “Sheriff’s Model” Squareback Triggerguard Revolver, Cal. .36
1860 Army Military, Cut For Stock, Cal. .44 *
1860 Army Military, With Fluted Cylinder, Revolver, Cal. .44
1861 Navy Military, Cut For Stock, Revolver, Cal. .36 *
1861 Navy Civilian, Revolver, Cal. .36
1861 Navy Military, With Fluted Cylinder, Revolver, Cal. .36
1861 Navy Civilian, With Fluted Cylinder, Revolver, Cal. .36
1862 Police, Semi-Fluted Cylinder, Revolver, Cal. .36, Barrel 4 ½”
1862 Police, Semi-Fluted Cylinder, Revolver, Cal. .36, Barrel 5 ½”*
1862 Police, Semi-Fluted Cylinder, Revolver, Cal. .36, Barrel 6 ½”
1862 Pocket Navy, Engraved Cylinder, Revolver, Cal. .36, Barrel 4 ½”*
1862 Pocket Navy, Engraved Cylinder, Revolver, Cal. .36, Barrel 5 ½”*
1862 Pocket Navy, Engraved Cylinder, Revolver, Cal. .36, Barrel 6 ½”
(* - have identified location of examples of these models)
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old May 10, 2013, 06:11 PM   #2
Sure Shot Mc Gee

First 1860 Uberti Colt I've ever seen in stainless. For 216.09? Aren't you ashamed?_
Old May 10, 2013, 06:12 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Good buy! Try steaming out those dents.
Old May 10, 2013, 07:07 PM   #4
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sure Shot McGee
First 1860 Uberti Colt I've ever seen in stainless. For 216.09? Aren't you ashamed?_
I've got a rebated cylinder one already. Ashamed?? Not in the least cuz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4V50 Gary
Good buy! Try steaming out those dents.
That will be the first thing I try. It's supposed to be here Monday so I plan on having the iron plugged in and warming up early.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old May 10, 2013, 07:32 PM   #5
Roshi

Nice!

Do you shoot them or just collect them?
Old May 10, 2013, 07:46 PM   #6
Beagle333

Nice! Great find!
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old May 10, 2013, 10:01 PM   #7
Bishop Creek

Fingers, I have some mint condition grips from an early 90s nickel plated 1860 Colt Signature Series gun that you can have if I can find them. Think that they would fit your Uberti?
Old May 10, 2013, 10:50 PM   #8
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Do you shoot them or just collect them?
I shoot them Roshi. I've got a rebated cylinder 18960 and an 1851 Navy that have been shot. The 1851 hit 4 out of five shots on a buffalo target at 75 yards at a match a few years ago. The 1860 shoots almost POA at 25 yards. Hopefully this one will be as good. Plans are to have a Thuer type conversion done to it.
Old May 10, 2013, 11:35 PM   #9
swathdiver

Nice find! I missed one on GB recently.
Old May 11, 2013, 05:31 AM   #10
Doc Hoy

No way!

Fingers says he shoots them!

No way! He has so many it would take him two weeks of eight hour days to make a dent.

;o)

What a great find, FM.

Does it look like the cylinder is original
Old May 11, 2013, 07:42 PM   #11
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Hoy
Fingers says he shoots them!

No way! He has so many it would take him two weeks of eight hour days to make a dent.

;o)
Now Doc, Roshi asked if I shoot the SS Ubertis. Answer is, yes I have shot the two SS Ubertis I have and will shoot this one. As to other revolvers in my collection - that is a whole other story. If I were to guess, half of my collection is NIB and would take a considerable length of time to shoot.

Bishop Creek - Thanks for the offer. I'll let you know how these come out. The Sig series grip panels should be a good fit.
Old May 13, 2013, 06:49 PM   #12
Fingers McGee

Pistol was delivered today by the brown truck. It wasn't in as good a shape as I expected. It had been shot - and not cleaned - but, since it is stainless, it came clean real easy. It had obviously been dry fired and played with - a lot. Most of the safety pins on the cylinder are hammered flat and a couple of the nipples show definite mushrooming. Even so, timing and lock-up are right on the money. If this had been a blued gun, the barrel would have been a disaster. Numerous scratches on the barrel, a couple of them kinda deep. Guess I'll have to break out the buffing wheel.

Had to knock the wedge out with a brass wedge remover & hammer. Stone all four sides of it to get it to fit better. It's still tight; but shooting it this weekend should loosen it up some. I did not do a complete disassembly. Even though it had been shot and not cleaned, the action did not appear to be fouled, and it cycled just fine.

Even with all this, it is in very good shape and will be used in CAS match this coming weekend along with its brother the rebated SS Uberti 1860.

Besides, when is the last time anyone saw - much less handled - a Stainless Steel, Uberti 1860 Army???
Old May 13, 2013, 07:38 PM   #13
mykeal

Quote:
Besides, when is the last time anyone saw - much less handled - a Stainless Steel, Uberti 1860 Army???
I'm just going to go over in a corner, suck my thumb and cry for a while. But don't worry about me, I'll get better someday.
Old May 31, 2013, 04:45 PM   #14
bprevolver

Stainless 1860 Army

This is belated, but congratulations on your find. I have not been to the forums for many months so I missed this posting earlier. Ken, this is the ONLY Uberti full fluted cylinder Stainless 1860 Army that I have even seen a picture of. Wolf sent me pictures of the Centaure Full Fluted Stainless 1860 Army but even these are extremely rare. Yours is a 'One of a kind' find. If I had seen this on an auction I would have gone $500+ bidding.

A real find. I would bet money that the messed up grips are from a shoulder stock that evidently was used often with this revolver.
Old May 31, 2013, 06:46 PM   #15
Fingers McGee

Good to hear from you Jim. Like you, It's the first full fluted SS 1860 I've ever seen. Not too sure about the shoulder stock use causing the divots in the grips; but, I have no idea what might have. While the gun was dirty, it didn't have any fouling buildup that would indicate much use. Looked as if it only had some QC rounds through it. Of course, that changed last weekend when I used it and my rebated 1860 at the SASS Mississippi State Championship match. Put about 50 rounds through them.

We would been in a bidding war then, cause I was ready to go much higher
Old June 1, 2013, 05:00 PM   #16
Gatofeo

I am so envious, that I may have to include this moment in my pre-written obituary:
"For reasons never clearly understood, he became extremely agitated at the words '1860 Colt' and became impossible to speak with for days."
Old June 7, 2013, 09:41 PM   #17
North East Redneck

1860 SS Colt 2nd Gen

There is a 2nd Gen SS Colt on GB. #346426496.
I wish I had the funds. An 1860 in SS is a hell of a find.
This one has current bid of $600. Reserve not met as of now. 6 days left on the auction.
Damn!!! What a beautiful gun!!
Looks like it has some type of Colt letter from '08 also.
Old June 9, 2013, 02:36 PM   #18
Fingers McGee

Redneck. Yeah, I've seen it. It's a 2nd Gen Colt; not one of the Uberti's I'm looking for.

This particular SS 1860 was part of the Colt Archive Collection that was sold on March of 2009. At the time, it sold for $920. If you could get it for that now, it would be reasonable considering it has a Colt Letter with it. Anything under that would be a bargain.
Old June 9, 2013, 06:08 PM   #19
North East Redneck

Fingers, I know you are after the Uberti in SS. Just thought it worth a mention as it is a SS 1860. I would love to own any SS 1860. They seem to be out of my price range at this time. Best luck with your pursuit.