The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old May 18, 2014, 05:13 PM   #326
steve4102

MG, logic has no place in the Law or in the legislative process.
Old July 3, 2014, 10:10 AM   #327
Dan F

If anyone knows... what is the status of Peruta now? Has the period for en banc challenge passed, does Harris (AG) have standing, is it being appealed to SCOTUS?

It just seemed to go away...

Dan
Old July 3, 2014, 12:21 PM   #328
HarrySchell

No discernible action so far.

Bets range from the panel taking a very careful approach to the 9th taking the same approach as the DC Circuit and burying the case, since the "progressives" couldn't win in court.

The longer we go the more I think someone up there is trying to delay things as long as possible. The issues before the panel, allowing Harris to intervene and whether/not then to grant her plea for en banc, just aren't that complex (to this non-lawyer and some others smarter than me).

Unless a way is found to bury it, however, I think the chances are even or better it will stand, or go to SCOTUS. The majority opinion is way too well researched and reasoned to trifle with.
Old July 4, 2014, 06:12 PM   #329
Metal god

Here you go , you check this from time to time . This is everything that has happened in the case to date

http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/content/..._id=0000000722

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; July 4, 2014 at 10:25 PM.
Old September 15, 2014, 03:44 PM   #330
motorhead0922

What's going on now? Nothing filed for 4 months, and we are now 7 months past the ruling? No en banc is scheduled that I know of...

Something must be happening right? Either that or Peruta has his CHL...
2020: It's pronounced twenty twenty.
Old September 15, 2014, 09:06 PM   #331
Librarian

Quote:
Something must be happening right? Either that or Peruta has his CHL...
Nope. No movement of any kind available to public knowledge.

The FAQ page is here.
Old September 25, 2014, 12:55 AM   #332
62coltnavy

I have a sneaking suspicion that perhaps the panel is holding its decision(s) until after the November elections, given the political impact of its rulings.
Old October 16, 2014, 05:59 PM   #333
HarrySchell

Peruta Cited Again. Morris v. Corps of Engineers

From Morris v. Army Corps Engineers (D. Idaho Oct. 10, 2014):

"Plaintiffs challenge regulations promulgated by the Army Corp of Engineers that govern the possession of firearms on property administered by the Corps. Plaintiffs argue that the regulations violate their Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms...

The Second Amendment protects the right to carry a firearm for self-defense purposes. That right extends outside the home. Peruta, 742 F.3d at 1166 (holding that “the right to bear arms includes the right to carry an operable firearm outside the home for the lawful purpose of self-defense”).

The Corps’ regulation bans carrying a loaded firearm for the purpose of selfdefense. It also bans carrying an unloaded firearm along with its ammunition. At most, it would allow a person to carry an unloaded firearm so long as he was not also carrying its ammunition. An unloaded firearm is useless for self-defense purposes without its ammunition..."

Next stop is the 9th Circuit.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/v...eers-property/
Old October 16, 2014, 10:47 PM   #334
TDL

working link

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/v...eers-property/
Old October 17, 2014, 01:00 PM   #335
HarrySchell

Sorry.
Old November 12, 2014, 12:29 PM   #336
Metal god

AG - DENIED

http://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastor...14%20Order.pdf

From what I read it appears this is going to come down to did the court rule on Gore's interpretation of the law only or did they rule on the the law it self . I'd also like to know what you guys think of the timeliness factor and how the court ruled the AG and others did not ask to intervene soon enough .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; November 12, 2014 at 12:57 PM.
Old November 12, 2014, 01:17 PM   #337
motorhead0922

Quote:
DENIED
So "may-issue" is now "shall issue" in all states served by the 9th circuit?

If there won't be en banc, then the original ruling stands, right?
Old November 12, 2014, 02:21 PM   #338
Librarian

Quote:
So "may-issue" is now "shall issue" in all states served by the 9th circuit?
Not quite; if there is a 'good cause' requirement, 'self defense' must be accepted.

Quote:
If there won't be en banc, then the original ruling stands, right?
Until those inventive folks come up with something else, yes.

The FAQ page is here.
Old November 12, 2014, 02:55 PM   #339
Jim March

We don't yet know for sure if the Peruta case itself can be now taken up en banc by one of the judges; we suspect so.

In the related Richards case in Yolo County the sheriff is saying he's going to ask for en banc. Hawaii probably will too in Baker. This ain't over...what has just happened today seems to mark the end of a long delay and things might now move faster.
Old November 12, 2014, 05:11 PM   #340
motorhead0922

Fox story:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014...carry-permits/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox
San Diego County Sheriff Bill Gore has said he will not fight the ruling, meaning there is no one with standing left to challenge the decision made in February.
Sounds like the fat lady is singing.
Old November 12, 2014, 06:41 PM   #341
Metal god

No fat ladies , this is far from over . There is something like 36+ judges on the 9th . Any one of them can ask to rehear . IMHO the ruling destroys the dissent but I can see more then a few judges on the 9th agreeing with the dissent . No way this is over .

Old November 13, 2014, 10:56 AM   #342
Armed_Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal god
No fat ladies , this is far from over . There is something like 36+ judges on the 9th . Any one of them can ask to rehear . IMHO the ruling destroys the dissent but I can see more then a few judges on the 9th agreeing with the dissent . No way this is over .
Does anybody know how long the window is open for an en banc review?
Old November 13, 2014, 12:06 PM   #343
HarrySchell

The Betting at Calguns

Ran through the threads this morning and it appears the weight of those opinions is:
+ Harris has been denied standing for her active disinterest in the case until Gore gave up. The case law cited in the denial and the facts make it very unlikely she could gain standing at the 9th or with SCOTUS.
+ En banc at the 9th, even on sua sponte, has a big glitch...there is no one to argue for the defense without Harris or Gore.
+Peruta is likely to stand. It doesn't hurt that it is part of decisions in other circuits, notably the DC circuit. That case may get interesting on 11.22.14 if the judge finds the "may issue" law passed by the Council inadequate and tosses it. That is going to weigh against CA agencies that want to ignore Peruta
+Richards and/or Baker can be granted en banc, but must show Peruta was flawed as the substance of the current decisions is "you lose, see Peruta".
+If Peruta stands, San Diego must comply. Other agencies currently playing the same game are going to be on thin ice by denying "self-defense". They may decide the cost of a lawsuit is not worth it, and just slow-roll applications, but there is a statutory limit to that, which invites a civil suit.

The proggies in CA are running out of other people's money. Political buffoonery on CCW may be enough of a loser that they stop fighting "self-defense" and look for other means to issue as few permits as possible.
Old November 13, 2014, 12:47 PM   #344
HarrySchell

Usually, the timing for a sua sponte en banc is 21 days, which would have started yesterday.

The court has latitude to play with that number to extend it, or will take it if they want.

Given the glitch in the pursuing en banc on Peruta, which would require overruling the panel on the denial of intervention to Harris et al, it seems unlikely. Legal Buffoonery of that level seems too hard, even for the 9th.

More likely is granting en banc on Richards and/or Baker and attack Peruta through them. Both agencies have said they would ask for en banc but have not filed, pending Peruta and the motions. They are running out of time to file, but I dunno how much time they have, or that the stay on San Diego would remain in place.

Gore is said to have started processing "self defense" applications in SD.
Old November 15, 2014, 09:28 AM   #345
Luger_carbine

I read this at CalGunLaws.com. I think it is a pretty good summary of the CA RTKBA in light of Peruta:

http://www.calgunlaws.com/ca-nra-ila...o-shall-issue/

I had no idea that Kamala Harris could ask for an en banc review of the order denying her motion to intervene.

I don't understand though why the article didn't mention the possibility of a sua sponte en banc call.
Old November 15, 2014, 04:35 PM   #346
HarrySchell

I don't think they can do sua sponte without someone to defend Gore's position, and there is no one with standing to do that. Gore passed and (I understand) can't change his mind or be compelled, Harris et al are denied.

That said, I have no remote idea why Michel said sua sponte is still on the table.

Richards or Baker can go en banc, but neither agency has filed yet and a review takes a while. The panel can issue its mandate to Gore within 7-14 days (heard both) and if the other cases don't go en banc and renew the stay, the cat will really be amongst the pigeons.

Not only will the 9th be issuing another stay, jerking everyone around, but it also will muck up rulings in other CA's that cite Peruta.

Strange things happen, but I think we are cruising with the tide in our favor.
Old November 15, 2014, 05:20 PM   #347
Luger_carbine

I thought the whole idea of a "sua sponte" en banc call was that the court was doing it itself - not a party. So why would there need to be a party for a sua sponte en banc call?
Old November 15, 2014, 07:55 PM   #348
Metal god

That's my understanding as well . The court/judge can ask to hear and or review the case . They have the option to ask all party"s to respond or they can just review the case with out asking for anything else from either party .

The thing that gets me is the AG was denied the ability to intervene and yet she can still intervene by asking for even more appeals . Seems odd to me why ask to intervene . If granted she was going to ask for en banc anyway , It seems like a waisted step . I assume it's just something she had to do first .

Old November 15, 2014, 08:52 PM   #349
Librarian

Quote:
I thought the whole idea of a "sua sponte" en banc call was that the court was doing it itself - not a party. So why would there need to be a party for a sua sponte en banc call?
Someone would have to provide briefs for each side; someone would have to appear for oral arguments.

The appellants would be happy, more or less, to do that.

But if Sheriff Gore refuses to participate (he has directed his legal team not to, http://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastor...-%20Letter.pdf) and the court has already ruled the applicants to intervene are not eligible, there seems to be no one willing and able to take on the appellee's role.

The FAQ page is here.
Old November 18, 2014, 05:20 PM   #350
press1280

But the Richards case does have defendants who called for en banc. The 9th could basically hear Richards en banc and dissolve Peruta.
Closed Thread