The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 30, 2006, 01:54 PM   #1
Clayfish

Every hunter needs to watch this

This video is kinda long but it's worth watching. I will never think of Jimmy Houston as a sportsman again. It's pretty disturbing.

http://real-hunters.com/full.swf
Old September 30, 2006, 02:38 PM   #2
springmom

Holy cow

That is horrible. I'm not sure I will ever watch one of those hunting shows on TV again without wondering if the animals are drugged or sick. That's about as low as you can get, IMO.

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old September 30, 2006, 02:52 PM   #3
banditt007

Pathetic
Old September 30, 2006, 03:35 PM   #4
oldbillthundercheif

Deer are fairly stupid to begin with (at least in areas where they have lost their fear of humans). Why would you give them drugs?

I can understand managing herds to maximize numbers and offer a cheap, easy way for city folks to fill their freezers... but calling these deer "trophies" is like calling a cow an asian water-buffalo. Are these domesticated bucks valid for record consideration?
Old September 30, 2006, 04:01 PM   #5
UniversalFrost

In my opinion the domestics are not valid for consideration for record status. One good thing about the deer in my area is that they come running at the sound of a combine or chainsaw. Last few years I just drag along my old 94 30/30 when out cutting wood and they just come right in and stare at me from about 50 yards out. Last year I shot one it ran and then fell over and the others (about10) just looked at it like "what the?" and then kept foraging around the area. Didn't get spooked till I started to field dress the sucker.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old September 30, 2006, 04:52 PM   #6
FirstFreedom

Holy crap, UF - you have Gump deer. Mine must be Einstein deer - any human activity makes them Run. Away. Fast. And Hide.

As far as the video goes, it's incredibly cheap, and it's not in any way sporting or even in the realm of "hunting". But I'm not so sure it should *illegal*, what they are doing. Discouraged and ridiculed, yes. Outlawed, no. They're essentially farmers, harvesting their animals. Why shouldn't they be allowed to harvest them in the manner they choose? Regulated by the Ag Dept. to protect against disease and such, yes.

Last edited by FirstFreedom; October 2, 2006 at 04:00 PM.
Old September 30, 2006, 05:05 PM   #7
huntatnight

Unbelievable, what a bunch of jerks........
Old September 30, 2006, 05:21 PM   #8
UniversalFrost

I guess my deer just are used to gun shots. When I was stationed in North Dakota the muleys wouldn't let you get within a couple hundred yards of them (easy to see long distances what with the lack of trees and all). Since I am a long range target shooter it was no problem hitting a standing still perfect broad side muley at 200-300 yards. Kinda got boring, just go out glass the fields and then pick out one from the herd that you like. Aim, breath, shoot. Nothing to it. I guess the hunting gods have smiled down on me the last decade. I am batting a thousand with rifle, bow and muzzle loader. Can't say the same about elk though.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old September 30, 2006, 05:46 PM   #9
dave0520

Quote:
Why should they be allowed to harvest them in the manner they choose?
How about lack of ethics, cruelty to animals, drugging, etc. It would be different if they were allowed to range the whole 1800 acres or whatever it was, but keeping them locked in a 2-3 acre area is horrible. That's only 40,000 square feet! I have seen houses bigger than that, and you want 20+ WILD animals living in an area that big?
Old September 30, 2006, 06:58 PM   #10
kingudaroad

How cruel and wasteful. It does not mean that all high fenced game management is corrupt, but it sure shows how callous people can become to make money. Just sickening.
Old September 30, 2006, 07:07 PM   #11
rem33

Personally I have NO use for the people in these video's or those involved in the making of such video's. I have watched a couple of the hunting shows, that was enough for me. This is not hunting in any since of the word.

I would like to know which manufactures or company's endorse or pay to have commercials on such shows so I can avoid their products.
Old October 2, 2006, 04:02 PM   #12
FirstFreedom

Quote:
Quote:
Why shouldn't they be allowed to harvest them in the manner they choose?
How about lack of ethics, cruelty to animals, drugging, etc. It would be different if they were allowed to range the whole 1800 acres or whatever it was, but keeping them locked in a 2-3 acre area is horrible. That's only 40,000 square feet! I have seen houses bigger than that, and you want 20+ WILD animals living in an area that big?

Umm, excuse me - how many acres is a cow in when it's in a pen at the slaughterhouse, and executed/butchered for commercial purposes? It's called FARMING/RANCHING.

Are you gonna make the farmers shoot their cattle on a 2000 acre spread before taking them to market?

It's not hunting, it's farming. Again, I have to ask, why shouldn't these farmers be allowed (legally) to execute their livestock in the manner they see fit, provided that it's not cruel. It can't be cruel because if it is, then hunting is cruel, and I don't think hunting is cruel. Maybe the drugging is cruel; maybe not. As I say, they should be ridiculed, to the exent that the claim to be "hunters" or "sportsmen", but not outlawed, it seems to me.
Old October 2, 2006, 04:53 PM   #13
FrontSight

I've got no problem with the harvesting; like any other animal raised as a farm animal. But the condittions & the disease issues were pretty sad/scary.
Old October 2, 2006, 05:52 PM   #14
taylorce1

Quote:
They're essentially farmers, harvesting their animals. Why shouldn't they be allowed to harvest them in the manner they choose? Regulated by the Ag Dept. to protect against disease and such, yes.
Quote:
Umm, excuse me - how many acres is a cow in when it's in a pen at the slaughterhouse, and executed/butchered for commercial purposes? It's called FARMING/RANCHING.

Are you gonna make the farmers shoot their cattle on a 2000 acre spread before taking them to market?

It's not hunting, it's farming. Again, I have to ask, why shouldn't these farmers be allowed (legally) to execute their livestock in the manner they see fit, provided that it's not cruel. It can't be cruel because if it is, then hunting is cruel, and I don't think hunting is cruel. Maybe the drugging is cruel; maybe not. As I say, they should be ridiculed, to the exent that the claim to be "hunters" or "sportsmen", but not outlawed, it seems to me.
I'll argue this point a little, the commercial beef industry is highly regulated by the Federal and State governments in the manner an animal can be humanely slaughtered and processed. The larger plants have full time USDA inspectors on hand to make sure that they are following the regulations. Small locker plants have periodic inspections to make sure they are in compliance. Never is the kill floor duties sold as a way to make money for the packing house. When you purposely drug animals to measure antlers and then put them in a small pen and charge someone thousands of dollars to kill the animal for trophy this is not the same thing as a slaughter house. If this kind of hunting is to be allowed it should fall under the State and Federal Game and Fish departments to regulate not the Department of Ag.

Charging large amounts of money to kill a record class animal in a small pen is only satisfying the blood lust of the person killing that animal. Hunting should never be about the trophy but about the experience of the hunt. How can one be satisfied that they participated in this type of activity and call it or portray it as a fair chase hunt and still call themselves a Hunter and Sportsman.

I understand that a lot of people who like to hunt do not have the time to spend hunting animals properly. If they were going to spend that kind of money wouldn't they have felt better about hiring a professional guide to find their trophy class animal on private land? Planting food plots and doing things to improve the quality of the game animals on your property and not using high fence to keep them contained is not the same as game ranching(I use the term ranching loosely).

As Hunters and Sportsmen we should be appalled by this practice and not trying to justify it as a business practice. This kind of attention doesn't do anything to promote the sport of hunting. I think high fenced ranches do have a purpose to saving animals that would otherwise become extinct in their native lands but come on guys, where’s the thrill in killing an animal in a 3 acre pen. If there were at least 500 acres I would have at least said that the animal didn't have to go by that stand on that day for Jimmy Huston to attempt to kill.

Last edited by taylorce1; October 2, 2006 at 08:47 PM.
Old October 2, 2006, 08:32 PM   #15
FirstFreedom

okay, I'll concede you make a good point there, taylorce, but ok, it should be regulated in much the same manner as a slaughterhouse, perhaps.
Old October 2, 2006, 08:48 PM   #16
taylorce1

FF I just figured you were playing Devils Advocate. I've read some of your other post and have a pretty good idea that you feel the same way about hunting as most of us.
Old October 2, 2006, 08:50 PM   #17
samsmix

I want to vomit!:barf:

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?
Old October 3, 2006, 12:10 AM   #18
leetrev1

Aaaaand that is hunting how.....................?
Old October 3, 2006, 12:57 AM   #19
Rangefinder

Wow, that gives me a heck of an idea... I wonder how much these idiots would pay to "catch" a record 8 lb. bass out of my son's wading pool? If the money is good enough, maybe I'd even let 'em sit in my bass boat while they do it! From the right angle, I'm sure the trailer wouldn't even show up on the camera when they held up their "once in a lifetime prize"...

Sportsmen, hunters, outdoorsmen... Hmmm These terms don't seem to be present in this little rich-man's scene. So much for getting up at 3am two weeks before opening day to get familiar with the herd, figuring out which draws they come down to water, what saddle they cross when pushed from what direction, tracking, waiting, stalking, coming home empty-handed and trying to re-think your plan to out-think your game, and finally bringing home the meat AND knowing just how hard you had to work for it... Anyone can shoot a fish in a barrel with enough ammo. This is the kind of behavior that destroys everything a sportsman represents.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old October 3, 2006, 06:56 AM   #20
skipjack

As a general rule, I have little or no use for hunting videos. They have raised the expectations of new hunters to unrealistic levels. The result is peer pressure to get the trophy...never mind the experience of the hunt.

This video exposes some of the tactics used by unscrupulous people; I won't call them hunters. It is not even remotely comparable to farming beef because the end result is not a dead animal to be consumed.
Rather, it is a video or head on the wall misrepresenting the actual conditions of the kill as the result of a legitimate hunt. In other words, it is a fraud.

One of the byproducts of these fraudulent productions is the suspicion of cheating by legitimate hunters. A few years ago, when the new world record whitetail was killed, the conspiracy theories were flying around the net.
I can't help but think those were fueled by the fraudulent videos.
Old October 3, 2006, 10:45 AM   #21
prater

reminds me a little bit of that whole "hunt on the internet thing" a little while back. I agree, there is no skill required to kill a drugged, caged animal. It's killing, not hunting. If thats the way you want to "hunt" then the hunter should be drugged as well, made to wear a pink bunny suit, and be given a pocket knife and released into the pen to kill the deer. Now that would be a good sport.

Seriously though, this is F$%$ed up.
Old October 3, 2006, 10:48 AM   #22
FirstFreedom

Quote:
So much for getting up at 3am two weeks before opening day to get familiar with the herd, figuring out which draws they come down to water, what saddle they cross when pushed from what direction, tracking, waiting, stalking, coming home empty-handed and trying to re-think your plan to out-think your game, and finally bringing home the meat AND knowing just how hard you had to work for it...
Amen.
Old October 3, 2006, 11:38 AM   #23
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

While the video didn't load for me, the opening voiceover was aplenty. Federal trial, 38 charges against the Indiana deer farmer. So far, so good.

Aside from the legal aspects, totally unethical. It cannot even remotely be called "hunting". "Slaughter" is close, although far too mild a word.

Recommend: Contact the Outdoor Channel and/or the Outdoor Life Network (whichever one Houston is on) and complain mightily.

Art
Old October 3, 2006, 12:48 PM   #24
thirdeagle

What ever happened to being good stewards? Anyone with a lick o'sense should see the barbarity of caging wild animals in a two-acre confine to be shot for sport. Hunting preserves and privately owned, fenced game lands are one thing, but that video shows hunting akin to "shooting fish in a barrel." Killing for the sake of killing has never been on my list of admirable human qualities; killing to feed a family or even for the enjoyment of the hunt is very different (philosophically speaking, sometimes the journey is the destination). Read the the short story "The Most Dangerous Game" by Richard Connell - that'll make you think.
Old October 3, 2006, 05:56 PM   #25
longboard

That is the worst "hunt" I have ever seen.:barf:
I will never have anything to do with any jimmy houston stuff again.
It makes me wonder how many of the tv hunts are just like this one?
This needs to stop!
BTW I am new here , and I get a good feeling about this forum.
Longboard