The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 5, 2012, 10:00 AM   #51
sirgilligan

If you have Gun Log, the new release allows you to enter your own values for the pickers.

The pickers do not have to be used, the fields can be typed into directly. I was just trying to save you all some aggravation trying to type on an iPhone or iPod Touch. It is much easier to type on the iPad. I figured I would take a few hours and type it all in for you all instead of everyone having to do it. Did you notice how many powder types I put in there!
Old July 5, 2012, 11:20 AM   #52
Olympus

I use my phone so the pickers are a lot easier and faster. Just a suggestion.
Old July 6, 2012, 09:55 AM   #53
sirgilligan

I just got a message from a valued user that the update crashed and lost his data.
Of course I am freaking out over this. It seems that the Apple App store is having issues.

I posted immediately to the support site:
http://gunlogapp.blogspot.com/2012/0...1-release.html

From CNET:
Quote:
"We are aware of the issue related to apps crashing after update. We are currently working on resolving the issue. Stay tuned for updates."

In addition to this statement, Apple has contacted developers by e-mail to notify them that should customers have crashing problems, they can be instructed to contact Apple, which will then determine if the problem is its fault or from a bug in the program:

If a customer reports receiving an error when downloading your app from the App Store, he or she can receive direct help from the iTunes Store Customer Support team: http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/

If the iTunes Store Customer Support team determines that the issue lies with your app and not with the App Store or the customer's account, Apple will contact you to resolve this issue.

Please let us know if you need additional assistance regarding your app.

I got this message from Apple Support:

Quote:
Thank you for contacting App Store Developer Support regarding the App Store.

We appreciate your report of the issue you have experienced with your app and the App Store. Please know that the iTunes team is aware of the issue and is working to correct the problem as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience as we work to resolve this issue.

I am sorry. If you have any issue contact me.

p.s.

If you are not having issues, please contact me. I do not know how wide spread is the problem.

Last edited by sirgilligan; July 6, 2012 at 10:27 AM.
Old July 6, 2012, 10:21 AM   #54
ScottRiqui

I'm not sure if my iPhone has automatically updated me to 5.1 (I have GunLog +P, so possibly not), so this may have been fixed already, but when I'm in the "ammo" screen and try to change the "quantity" field, the touchtone-phone type keypad that pops up completely covers the field I'm trying to change, and the keypad doesn't have a "Done" or "Enter" button. I have to click somewhere off the keypad to make it disappear before saving my changes.

Also, if I'm understanding correctly, the "quantity" entry in the ammo page isn't how much I currently have on-hand, it's a grand total of how much I've bought or made since I started using the program. That figure, while interesting, could probably afford to be buried in a report, and it would make checking/updating my inventory much easier if I could just make the quantity entry in the ammo page match what I currently have on-hand.

Overall, I'm liking the app a lot, which is probably why I'm nitpicking about the small things that still bother me, rather than just discarding the app entirely like I've done with others.
Old July 6, 2012, 10:32 AM   #55
sirgilligan

ScottRiqui,

The "quantity" field... do you mean round count?
There should be a dismiss keypad button on the top right of the app.

The update issue is with Gun Log, not Gun Log +P.

The view scrolls, so if the field is covered, just drag it into view.

The round count is how much you have on hand when you start tracking usage with the app. You don't decrement the round count when you shoot some, unless you didn't track it with a firing set.
Old July 6, 2012, 11:10 AM   #56
ScottRiqui

Quote:
The round count is how much you have on hand when you start tracking usage with the app. You don't decrement the round count when you shoot some, unless you didn't track it with a firing set.
The "round count" in the ammo page doesn't decrement automatically when I enter a firing set, but I do need to manually increment it when I buy/make more ammo, right? That's why I was asking if it's a grand total of all of that particular round that I've ever bought/made, because that's how it appears to behave.

And thanks for the tip about the scrolling fields and the "collapse keypad" button - can't believe I missed that.
Old July 6, 2012, 12:21 PM   #57
sirgilligan

Quote:
The "round count" in the ammo page doesn't decrement automatically when I enter a firing set, but I do need to manually increment it when I buy/make more ammo, right?
Right. Go to the reports section to see current available rounds, rounds fired, stuff like that.
Old July 6, 2012, 06:23 PM   #58
sirgilligan

Apple has fixed the problem and all apps that were affected by the issue will show up in the App store with an "update" available. I know for certain Gun Log was affected because all of my devices show an update pending for Gun Log.

Please backup your data. This time the issue may have been Apple's mistake, the next time it could be mine.

Apple Says It Has Fixed Server Bug That Led to Crashing Apps

Quote:
“We had a temporary issue that began yesterday with a server that generated DRM code for some apps being downloaded,” Apple said in a statement to AllThingsD.

If Gun Log 5.1 crashes on launch after the update, do not delete the app. Check and see if there is another update available. Also, if you have backed up the database, secure that backup. If you don't have a backup, and have not deleted the app to reinstall it, the data is still there, so do a backup as described below.

Here are some more links concerning the issue:

AllThingsD

WebProNews

LA Times

Marco.org

I apologize to the users that are effected by this situation. If you do not have backups of your data then the data is lost.
Old July 17, 2012, 08:56 PM   #59
timd

I bought +P, and generally like it. I would like the ability to add multiple pictures.
Old August 1, 2012, 09:56 PM   #60
sirgilligan

v5.3 is available.

I updated both apps today.

Gun Log +P (GL+P) got a major overhaul. It is now using the updated database that Gun Log (GL) uses.

The focus was on pickers, so you can now enter custom values and do not have to wait for me to update the app with a new powder or weapon manufacturer.

The next focus was on ballistics. This is a shooting app. Yes it does inventory better than most (I think better than any), but it is a shooting app first and foremost. You can now save drop tables with a weapon config and ammo specified and don't have to enter it every time.

Also you can save a drop table without associating it with a weapon and ammo. Just enter sight height, muzzle velocity, ballistic coefficient (G1), and zero distance. This is very handy, especially when a friend asks me to do a calculation for them.

Thank you to the moderators of "The Firing Line" for allowing this thread. The app is completely developed by just me, no others helping. The proceeds have paid for my lifetime NRA membership, ammo, and various other shooting related products and activities. Thank you for supporting me while I provide an app that is useful for those that are "into" iOS apps and tracking their shooting. For the rest of you, a note pad still works just fine.
Old February 3, 2013, 10:35 PM   #61
sirgilligan

Just wanted everyone to know that there is about to be a new release of Gun Log SPC. It is in review and hopefully be approved soon. 6.0 will have expense reports, which can tell you what you have spent on firearms, accessories, and ammo. It also tallies up the cost of ammo during a range session.

http://gunlogspc.blogspot.com/
Old February 4, 2013, 12:52 AM   #62
nikihristov

Android version would be very nice!

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
Old February 4, 2013, 09:23 AM   #63
sirgilligan

I know, I know. There is only one of me.
Old February 4, 2013, 10:01 AM   #64
Mike Irwin
Staff

There's only one Droid, too, so it should be a fair fight.

I will never, ever, purchase an I phone, so unless this app comes out for Android, I'll be using something else.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 4, 2013, 12:27 PM   #65
nikihristov

There is no such application for Android /reloading/guns/targets log/, so you can be the first.
I have tried Gun Tracker, Reloading Ballistics, RangeLog, but they are years behind you.
Good luck!
Old February 5, 2013, 09:42 AM   #66
sirgilligan

Quote:
There's only one Droid, too, so it should be a fair fight.

I can whip that Droid with my best coding arm tied behind my back.

Honestly, it is the shear size of the app. It is all I can do to take care of the code for iOS. The app is seriously large.

Quote:
There is no such application for Android /reloading/guns/targets log/, so you can be the first.
I have tried Gun Tracker, Reloading Ballistics, RangeLog, but they are years behind you.
Good luck!
My brother wants me to go the next level and make a serious reloading/hand loading app.

Gun Log and Gun Log SPC combined do not make a lot of money. It is a hobby, a service, and an income that pays for some computer hardware every three years, and has paid three rifles and a pistol, and ammo. After taxes the money is all gone. Point is, I only get to work on this a few hours a week, when I am not at my day job, or changing the oil in my truck, or fighting a drippy faucet, or whatever else everyday life brings.

p.s. I have been spending the vast majority of my free time studying anything and everything to do with possible weapons bans, magazine bans, and such. I have emailed my representatives many many times, attended the state capitol march last month, and continuously keep the conversation alive on facebook, with friends, and neighbors. Last night I even emailed the President. Just wanted him that I didn't believe that most gun owners agree with him, because I haven't met one yet that does.
Old February 8, 2013, 02:03 PM   #67
sirgilligan

Okay, the app has been approved and released to the App Store. Enjoy. As usual the new features are available to previous users, none of this In-App-Update stuff where you have to pay extra.

Please like Gun Log SPC on Facebook and write a review on the App Store.

https://www.facebook.com/GunLogSpc

As long as the App sells I will keep working on it.
Old February 8, 2013, 03:51 PM   #68
SC4006

I just downloaded this app today for my iPad, and it is very nice! Hope you get enough money for that SCAR you want, very fine rifles indeed.

They say 5 out of 4 people are bad at math.
Old February 8, 2013, 04:00 PM   #69
4runnerman

will have to check it out
Old February 8, 2013, 04:40 PM   #70
sirgilligan

Thanks all.
Old February 26, 2013, 09:48 AM   #71
sirgilligan

Gun Log and Gun Log SPC are on sale for a few days. This is primarily for those using Gun Log +P that want to switch over. I know that many of my page views come from users of The Firing Line, and wanted to make a special note to all of you.

Here is the deal:

I offered a period of time for GL+P users to switch for free and a few took me up on that. I know there are several thousand GL+P users that might want to switch, so I am offering Gun Log and Gun Log SPC at a reduced price for a few days.

Anyone can purchase the apps, but this is primarily for GL+P users. GL+P is not currently being developed and I want everyone to have the chance to switch over if they wish, especially while the databases are still compatible.

http://gunappreviews.blogspot.com/20...n-log-spc.html
Old May 24, 2013, 09:46 PM   #72
sirgilligan

Apps updated and on sale for Memorial Day

Gun Log and Gun Log SPC were recently updated.
Also, they are on sale for the Memorial Day weekend.

For those that don't know, these apps are iOS apps for iPad and iPhone. They are meant to be range logs first and you can record almost every detail of a firing set.

Also it stores ammunition and tracks usage. You can enter information about off the shelf ammo or details about your hand loads such as bullet info, powder info, primer info, etc.

You can store when you cleaned your weapon last or log failures and malfunctions so you can note which ammo or accessories are associated to failures.

Check it out while it is on sale!

http://gunlogspc.blogspot.com/

http://gunlogapp.blogspot.com/
Old January 3, 2014, 11:00 AM   #73
sirgilligan

7.0.8 is released and you can now generate PDF files like this:

Old January 3, 2014, 03:45 PM   #74
KeeperOath

Gun Log from Skunkworks:

I just purchased/downloaded my copy of IOS version 7.0.8 and I'll reply once I have use it.

It looks great. I do most all of this now with pad and pencil. I'll be one of the cool guys at my LGS Range.
Old January 3, 2014, 04:21 PM   #75
sirgilligan

Quote:
I just purchased/downloaded my copy of IOS version 7.0.8 and I'll reply once I have use it.

It looks great. I do most all of this now with pad and pencil. I'll be one of the cool guys at my LGS Range.
On the main firearms list, at the top near the title "Firearms" there is an info button "i", tap that to find the url for the support site. There are details how to use the app.