The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 15, 2013, 04:08 PM   #1
t45

Olympic Arms...any love?

I got my hands on a Olympic Arms PPFT flat top. It is still in transit to my lgs. Ive read the good and bad about Olympic Arms but it seams like most if not all that I have read are older posts. Any current reviews out there of the newer guns? The AWB treat has made slim pickins of finding a decent AR at a fair price.
Old January 15, 2013, 04:14 PM   #2
globemaster3

I have K68 amd K16 examples in both 5.56 and 6.8. I like all of them, have had no problems, and they do what I need them to do.
Old January 15, 2013, 07:13 PM   #3
lockedcj7

I had an older lower that worked great with a DPMS upper. Wish I still had it the way things are going.
Old January 15, 2013, 08:29 PM   #4
Mobuck

The most accurate AR's I've had are Olympics. I've owned at least 4 uppers and 1 complete rifle and every one is/was perfect.
Old January 16, 2013, 12:37 AM   #5
10-96

Another one here who's never had the least bit of trouble with my OA rifle.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old January 16, 2013, 01:17 AM   #6
Aberration

I have a plinker I bought at the gun show years ago. Never really put it on the bench to see what it hits. I know my front post is way high, and the rear is way to one side. Medium weight barrel. I have never had any jambs though.
Old January 16, 2013, 02:38 AM   #7
nfafan

Have a then-$700.00 Oly GI-16 (an A1 CAR-15 but with M4 handguards) KISS carbine. Think of it as their A1-uppered "Plinker Plus" - but with an M4 telestock.

Yes; fully forged and machined lower - the days of castings were long over at Oly. And it has M4 feedramps and "properly staked semi-auto bolt carrier", and there is ZERO rattle or play between upper/lower.

I mostly use mine with an M261 .22 kit so as to save money. I use the Oly exclusively, saving my SP1 and restricted-marked LE6920 as investments.

It has worked flawlessly with any mag and ammo I tried and is everything you want in a KISS - except for the heavy barrel mine was built with... Turns out that mine came with their blackend stainless steel 556 heavy barrel as a no extra charge assembly-line substitute - which Oly has been known to do to get them out the door.

Which was a nice surprise - but makes this CAR easily as heavy as a 20" rifle.

Not to complain over a free upgrade, just saying that mine is not the typical pencil-barreled lightweight CAR we first think of.
Be great if I had an RDIAS or LLink or the new "bumpfire" stocks because this barrel is as thick as an M60 barrel and so can take the abuse.

Yes, I'd buy another Oly if I ever felt the need for yet another AR. Their 20" SUM-barreled rifle is supposed to be factory garunteed at an MOA.

ETA: Can't speak to GI-16 accuracy as I am strictly an iron-sighted minute-of-paperplate plinker.
Old January 16, 2013, 05:03 PM   #8
CUBAN REDNECK

Never owned one, but I have shot a friend's Olympic Arms on several ocassions. Never a glitch, and fired well with hand loads.
Old January 16, 2013, 09:56 PM   #9
ThomasT

I came here and asked the same question about DPMS rilfes and got pretty much the same answer. What it amounted to was that there are no bad ARs. Just ARs that are better made than others.

I haven't shot my new DPMS rifle yet. I hope to friday. I sure do like looking at it and showing it off to my friends.