The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 7, 2012, 10:04 PM   #1
myshoulderissore

Ballistol is amazing!

So, a while back, I switched to ATF for all my needs... I cleans well enough for me, lubes fine, and most importantly, prevents the snot out of rust.

Then my buddy and I go to the armory to clean a bunch of M16s that had seen a few thousand rounds, and he brought his Ballistol along. Method used was take them apart 1 to a table, spray them down in order, same order quick clean, final swabbing and wipedown, then reassemble. Honestly, I was amazed... Our supply guy is one of the most anal about clean, dry rifles going in his vault, but none were turned away. That's a first for me.

So I got some, and cleaned my 10/22, my Savage 111, and my .357 revolver. The not-so-smooth bolt on my Savage has smoothed up very noticeably, the 10/22 might be cleaner than the day it was made, and the revolver feels slick no matter how many times I wipe it down. I think I am going to keep the ATF because I KNOW it prevents rust as well as I want/need, but I think that I am sold, fully sold. Smells like soy sauce and black licorice, and feels like snake oil, but for reals!!
Old June 8, 2012, 08:00 AM   #2
Rifleman1776

I can't find any in stores. On line with shipping added is more than I am willing to pay.
What is the difference between the regular Ballistol and the Sportsman's Oil?
Old June 8, 2012, 08:40 AM   #3
jmortimer

No difference. It is great stuff and non-toxic. I like the fact that it works on metal, plastic, wood, and leather. Original CLP. Another product that looks promising is Frog Lube, non -toxic as well. Hickock 45 really helped Ballistol when he recommended it in his video while cleaning his Glock.
Old June 8, 2012, 08:56 AM   #4
myshoulderissore

I would recommend just checking in any gun related stores you happen to be in, it's not real common. They have 2 labels, both are the same product.
Old June 9, 2012, 01:38 PM   #5
johnbt

I just wish it smelled like something other than black licorice. It works, but I won't use it.
Old June 9, 2012, 02:33 PM   #6
myshoulderissore

It's just plain absurd to me how many people don't like black licorice... Either way, though, there are so many ways to keep guns in good condition, I am certain that even choosing lube based on smell, it turns out fine.
Old June 9, 2012, 04:34 PM   #7
MagnumWill

A friend of mine likes it so much he has cleaned everything in his house with it. He has a VERY patient wife.

I haven't tried it yet, but I've been on a Slide Glide kick which might be pretty hard to beat.
Old June 9, 2012, 11:14 PM   #8
stantheman1976

I got some at a gun show a while back and use it on my pistols. It seems to work well. I'd buy it again.
Old June 10, 2012, 02:29 AM   #9
Pond, James Pond

I, too, really like it and the fact it is not jam-packed with carcinogens/poisons is a definite bonus.

I have been using it now for about 2 or 3 months and, so far, I have no reasons to complain. I even like the smell!!
Old June 10, 2012, 09:00 AM   #10
Rifleman1776

Quote:
They have 2 labels, both are the same product.
I just e-mailed them for clarification on that. Confusing they would sell same product under different labels.
Old June 10, 2012, 09:28 AM   #11
myshoulderissore

It's kind of like vinegar, multiple uses, and you can buy vinegar in the laundry area or the pickle area. I really do like it, though!