The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 7, 2009, 11:09 AM   #1
oldrookie

1100 breech bolt stuck

I have an inherited 1100 from my grandfather that had been collecting dust for a few years. It was his turkey gun, I think, because it had a 30" camo barrel with a full choke. I started skeet shooting recently (first time in 16 years) and the guys there mentioned I should get a shorter barrel. So, I bought a 28" rem choke from Remington thinking I'd been the smart guy, saving $ (instead of buying another gun).

So, I get the barrel finally. I was able to get the old barrel off, but when I put on the new one I had a heck of a time. I got in on, but the breech bolt was stuck open. So, I took off the barrel and the bolt slammed shut. Now I can't release the breech bolt nor put on either barrel. I've tried every dumb idea, such as forcing, prying, poking, etc. If you look behind the bolt I can see the hammer loose. I've looked around on the internet and I have not found anything so far. I know I screwed up, just wondering if I can fix it or is this another trip to the gunsmith. Thanks. Also, my wife would appreciate any help as the constant mumbling and swearing is getting on her nerves.

Thanks.
Old September 7, 2009, 12:42 PM   #2
zippy13

Greetings, oldrookie, and welcome aboard.

First questions first… do you have a copy of Remington's instruction book for your gun? If not, get one from http://www.remington.com/pdfs/om/om_11001187.pdf and see if the disassemble instructions help with your problem.
Old September 7, 2009, 02:42 PM   #3
oregon-john

You should be able to remove the trigger group. Punch out the trigger group pins with a small punch. This will let you look up into the recieiver and see what is locking up the bolt. John
Old September 9, 2009, 08:27 AM   #4
oldrookie

Thank you!

Thanks to you both. Reading the instructions sometimes does provide the answer! I was able to break it down, clean it, reset the hammer, put it back together, and the barrell fit fine. Thanks again or your help!

oldrookie
Old September 9, 2009, 12:10 PM   #5
Lee Lapin

oldrookie,

Many semiauto shotgun designs have a bolt return spring in a tube that extends back into the stock a ways. The 1100 is one of these. There is an action link assembly that assembles against the action bar assembly which actuates the bolt, and bears against the follower in the bolt return spring tube in the stock. When the bolt overtravels forward, as it can when there is no barrel installed, the link assembly (either one leg, or both) can get out of place against the follower. It'll have to be put back in place before the bolt will go back as it should- pulling the trigger plate assembly will give you easy access to all these parts.

Hope you don't need to do that any more,

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old September 9, 2009, 12:32 PM   #6
zippy13

Glad to hear all is well.