The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 16, 2009, 01:13 PM   #1
Jack O Spades

swapping vent ribs. is it possible?

I have a mossberg 500 that I dont use much anymore so I thought about decking it out for home defense, you know, adjustable stock, pistol grip, heat shield, and flashlight. I dont think the heat shield will fit the barrel with the vent rib on it and I have an H&R .410 that needs a vent rib. Bingo. Take the rib off the Mossberg and put it on the H&R, kill 2 birds with 1 stone, but is it possible?
Old August 16, 2009, 01:50 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

A gunsmith job I bet...
Quote:
you know, adjustable stock, pistol grip, heat shield, and flashlight.
Flashlight... CHECK....
Heat shield.... You plan on shooting 60-70 rounds in a short time for HD? Or are you planning on scaring the perp out? Heat shield is for sustained suppressive cover fire from a WWII trench where you might bump that white hot barrel against the neck of a guy with a 1903 and he woulda shot you for that...
adjustable stock, pistol grip,... you mean a collapsible/adjustable stock with postol grip? Look into the shootability of a stock with no cheek rest...

Second from left is my go to set up.
Brent
Old August 16, 2009, 02:53 PM   #3
Jack O Spades

thanks for the reply but what does any of that have to do with how to swap a vent rib?

The heat shield is just for looks as is the collapsable stock.

If it is possible to remove the vent rib I will be taking with it the front bead sight. The heat shield, along with looking cool, also has integrated ghost ring sights.
Old August 16, 2009, 03:00 PM   #4
fisherman66

I believe Brent just called you a mall ninja.

I second the motion.
Old August 16, 2009, 03:03 PM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

the rib has to be installed by a smith... alignment issue for one thing as well as if it is metal it should be soldered on I am guessing.

Items "for looks" do not have a place on anything but a wall hanger. Defensive firearms are not the place for looky loo toys, Nothing not needed to win should be there. Like race cars and race bikes... extra weight and reduced mobility will get you killed or hurt. A heat shield can hang up on something and a collapsible stock can prevent many folks from hitting the ground if they threw the gun from a roof.
Sorry to sound harsh but I don't coddle those who wish to build a true defensive firearm. This isn't a dress rehearsal. This is real life.

Think of it this way... Go buy a $2,500 custom rifle and slap any old scope on it and do not sight in the scope. when you go hunting dangerous game, tell the guide when he asks why you missed.... "I dunno but I just added the scope fer looks..."
Brent

Last edited by hogdogs; August 16, 2009 at 03:13 PM.
Old August 16, 2009, 03:11 PM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Fish, Actually that wasn't my intent. I am willing to help as much as allowed. But in my post after yours... I guess I did!
I am quickly losing my diplomatic nature... Tuff luv and all! You want a HD gun? Great I and several others will help. Just don't think that the features we mention are up for debate/discussion. Just like G.I. gear... you have no say in what you tote/use. same deal. "Here soldier of home defense, here is your AMERICAN made shotgun with standard style stock, short barrel, brass bead, no sling but if you wish... here is a streamlight...
Brent
Old August 16, 2009, 07:31 PM   #7
jmr40

Given enough time and money most anything is possible. I suspect it would just be cheaper to buy another gun in this case.
Old August 16, 2009, 07:51 PM   #8
rantingredneck

I'd be willing to bet you will not like shooting that shotgun with the collapsible stock/pistol grip deal.

I'd also be willing to bet that the last thing your H&R .410 needs is a vent rib.

I know for a fact that for you to pay a gunsmith to remove a vent rib from one barrel and solder it onto another is going to cost you significantly more than just buying a new barrel for that 500 on the used market.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old August 16, 2009, 08:07 PM   #9
Jack O Spades

All right, finally someone with a little respect that gets to the point. For a minute there I thought I was in the "bash the new guy" forum.

Anyway I dont really need another defense gun, I just had this old Mossberg laying around and thought it would be fun to dress it up a little. At the same time the H&R could really go for a vent rib. Buying a new gun doesnt solve any of these issues.

Just because Im going to make it look like a defense gun doesnt mean thats what Im going to use it for.
Old August 16, 2009, 08:30 PM   #10
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Welcome aboard, Jack.

Ribs are not very swappable. Some outfits like Simmons Guns can add one to a gun, but t'isn't cheap.

As for the bellsnwhistles, they really do not add much to the effectiveness of a given weapon.

Run a few cases of ammo through that fine Mossberg and Voila!!

It's a great HD shotgun.....
Old August 16, 2009, 10:04 PM   #11
Crosshair

I would just get another barrel, they aren't that expensive. Certainly cheaper than gunsmith work on a rib.
Old August 16, 2009, 11:07 PM   #12
theghostrider

I just sold a 500 that had the barrel cut down, and the vent rib was left on. I replaced it with a 1200 Defender, and noticed the difference. IMHO, the vent rib aids in aligning the gun on the target. I liked having the rib on my HD gun, and wouldn't mind the new one having one (although I'm sure it'll shoot fine without).
Old August 16, 2009, 11:39 PM   #13
Mossy500

cost wise, i would buy a new barrel, it will be more swapping the rib. and personally, this is just me, i like the look of the rib over the heat shield anyways. it says to me "im gonna kill you and its only gonna take one shot,"
Old August 17, 2009, 09:06 AM   #14
Jack O Spades

"IMHO, the vent rib aids in aligning the gun on the target."

Exactly my thoughts. My H&R needs a rib way more than the mossberg does. It would make it alot easier for a youngster to hit what theyre aiming at and not get discouraged because they miss all the time. Thats why I started this thread. Rather than buying a new rib and having it installed on the H&R I could just take the one off the mossberg. That was my original thinking anyway.
Old August 17, 2009, 10:14 AM   #15
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Jack O', I looked at your join date as I do before replying to any one so i wasn't jumping on the new guy.

Quote:
so I thought about decking it out for home defense
The above is what I based my reply upon.
Quote:
you know, adjustable stock, pistol grip, heat shield, and flashlight
Having read a jillion threads about broken stocks, bruised cheek bones and poor performance, I just share that. I also have a bit 'twixt my ears and know that the heat shield is cool looking but utterly useless on an HD gun (you said you were building a dedicated HD gun) so I spoke my piece.
Quote:
thought it would be fun to dress it up a little.
Had you initially said you wanted to build a tacticool toy... I woulda hooked you up with the links for that gizmo stuff.
As for the rib on the .410... I bet it will be a hindrance... possibly too high as well. The reason a "youngster" is missing and getting discouraged is the .410 is a tuff gun for most unless raised shooting them. With the price of .410 ammo, a kid can't save a weeks lunch money ($1.10 day) and buy a 150 rounds as I could in 1984.
The kids would be much better served using the mossberg with light loads and hitting far more targets. Me? I could adjust my poly choke and make my shots on bunnies out to 35 yards like clock work by 10-11 yo but I was taught well with that old .410 bolt action and fired it a TONNNNNN!!!!!
Brent
Old August 17, 2009, 10:37 AM   #16
rantingredneck

There is also a school of thought that says the .410 isn't much of a kids' gun in that the smaller pattern makes it hard to learn with. In other words, the rewards of solid hits are harder to come by and kids lose interest or get discouraged.

I see the merits of that argument, but having learned to shoot with an H&R .410 myself (probably identical to the one you are thinking of butchering), I can't subcribe fully to it.

But, as Brent said, ammo don't cost what it used to and kids seem to get less time with their mentors in the outdoors these days, sadly.

I must also admit, Jack, that asking us to help you build a tackycool gun that will not be for actual use, cuts across the grain of many of the folks that browse the shotgun forum here. If you ask about heatsheilds, pistol grips, breacher barrels and whatnot, we typically will say, "don't".......

Old August 17, 2009, 10:47 AM   #17
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

RR,...
Quote:
we typically will say, "don't".......
Or we say [slapsforehead]WHY?[/slapsforehead]...
Heck I could buy a box of .410 in '84 for a tick over a dollar and the same ammo today is running 50% more than 12 gauge at $9+ per 25 That pesky supply and demand ratio crap.
Brent
Old August 17, 2009, 11:05 AM   #18
rantingredneck

Quote:
Or we say [slapsforehead]WHY?[/slapsforehead]...
or we utter the dreaded phrase that tracks it's heritage back to Gecko45.........

Old August 17, 2009, 11:22 AM   #19
oneounceload

Quote:
Exactly my thoughts. My H&R needs a rib way more than the mossberg does. It would make it alot easier for a youngster to hit what theyre aiming at and not get discouraged because they miss all the time. Thats why I started this thread. Rather than buying a new rib and having it installed on the H&R I could just take the one off the mossberg. That was my original thinking anyway.
Ribs are generally soldered on - to remove and install will also entail rebluing both guns - by the time you do all that, it would be cheaper to go buy another gun.

As to the 410 - not the best to train a kid with unless you're talking shooting static close targets. Anything moving will be tough. A 28 gauge has 50% more payload and will give the kid a better chance of being successful; downside, is the ammunition isn't cheap (unless you reload). Therefore using LIGHT target loads in a proper-fitting 20 or 12 would be the best alternative. The key is having the gun FIT. It is easier to shoot a stock that is too short than one that is too long
Old August 17, 2009, 12:04 PM   #20
BigJimP

+1 on what OneOunce just said ....

I have a nice .410 O/U ( gross weight at 7 1/2 lbs ) - but for training the grandkids, I've been either using a 28ga O/U that's about a 7 1/2 lb gun .... and if that's too much for them to swing it smoothly ...

I go to a Benelli Super Sport semi-auto 20ga ( its a hair over 6 lbs ) so its really light / the kids like the carbon fibre look to the gun - and with light loads in it / even 3/4 oz at 1200 fps it will still cycle the action. If I drop down to a load at 1150 fps / it won't cycle the action - but we can still shoot singles. I find this gun with either 3/4 oz or 7/8 oz loads at 1200 fps is pretty soft shooting / and the kids like it.
Old August 18, 2009, 05:16 PM   #21
Lee Lapin

Jack,

Call a couple of gunsmiths and price the two jobs (removing the rib from one barrel and refinishing that barrel, installing the rib on another barrel). I think you'll find it a bit more expensive than you want to go in for.

My 'smith has a saying- "Any project is feasible if properly funded." I'd bet you could buy at least one gun for what the projects you describe would cost if done with any degree of professionalism at all. Of course, if you want Bubba Barnyard to do it, you could maybe get it done for a couple cases of beer... 8^)

And IMO, FWIW, getting a 28 gauge to replace that .410 would do the kids a LOT more good than putting a rib on the .410.

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old August 18, 2009, 06:11 PM   #22
colostomyclown

Not worth swapping. Use the money you'll save on not buying an M4 stock and laserflashlight mallninja gizmo and just get another barrel. Lights and shell holders can be very useful, but only if you truly understand the principles behind their use. You need complete control over the light, which either means using a pressure cord (the curly things taped to a shotgun's forend) or spending the buckoo bucks for an ugly-as-hell Surefire forend. Walking around with a light switched on without momentary control is just asking to be killed.

Last edited by colostomyclown; August 18, 2009 at 06:16 PM.
Old August 18, 2009, 06:23 PM   #23
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

While cannot vouch for his stuff, we have a member making CNC machined light holders. From simple light holder to light on one side swivel on the other all the way to piccatinny section and light or p-tinny and swivel...
His nick is "candewman"... his prices start at like 35 or 40 bucks.
Brent