The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 21, 2008, 10:47 AM   #1
Ratltrap

44 components on-hand. Help with load?

I've come across some components that I thought might be useful in my M629. Can anyone suggest a good plinking/target load using either WST or HS7 under a 220 gr. cast bullets?
Old August 21, 2008, 08:01 PM   #2
Loader9

Using HS-7, a max load for that bullet weight in lead is 17.0 grs. i wouldn't load that high unless you know the hardness of the lead as the speed is around 1550'ps depending on the pistol. As you might know, HS-7 is no longer around. If you're just using it up, I'd suggest a 14.0 gr load. That's closer to 1300'ps and shouldn't cause any leading issues. I have no data for the Winchester powder but considering Hodgdon now owns the rights, it's probably history as well. Hodgdon will be doing lots of consolidation of powders and some of the favorites are going away.
Old August 21, 2008, 09:32 PM   #3
Ratltrap

Loader9 - Thanks. I understand that HS7 is history and that WST may soon follow. No worries, I just hate to pass up the chance to shoot the 44. basically for free. As I understand it, both powders are for mid-range use in magnum pistols and heavy use in field shotshells. Since I posted here I came across a published load for HS7 at 13.0 grains under the 250 grain Keith bullet giving 1189 fps. I'm guessing that Keith bullets are much harder than these bullets, but I have no way to measure that. Otherwise, that published load seems in line with your suggested 14 gr. load and may be just what I need for these bullets in my 629.
Old August 22, 2008, 09:38 AM   #4
1911_freak

hs7: max load is 15 to 17gr.
Old September 21, 2008, 04:06 AM   #5
REDTAIL

question

has anyone on the forum loaded & used Hornady's 240 gr swaged lead bullets in theit 44 mag or spcl loads and did you try it on game (deer) etc
Old September 21, 2008, 08:58 AM   #6
crowbeaner

Redtail; I use them in my front end loader over 100 grains of Pyrodex powder. Black high speed sabot; around 1800 fps. You can hear the WHOCK when they hit whatever. I haven't checked the penetration and expansion yet, but being a bit harder than Speer swaged lead, I would assume they will be more than adequate. I know that they shoot well; as good as my hardcast bullets.