The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 20, 2007, 07:16 AM   #1
Crazy4nitro

Bullseye in .40S&W

Last Night during an informal IDPA type shooting match several of us were discussing reloading our own bullets. Of course it went the down the usual road of what each person liked and used. I mentioned my combo (3.7gr of Bullseye under a 180gr LSWC) and a few said "You use Bullseye in a .40cal ?!? " Like it was the most stupid thing they ever heard of? The others mentioned Tite-group,Red-Dot,WSF,and Clays..(in various diff. calibers)
Am I missing some Memo going around or something? These rounds I'm making seem to shot very well with Minimal recoil and group better then the 165gr FMJ WWB that I shot during a re-shoot. I see very little if any "Glock Bulge" and no pressure signs and the slide cycles without a problem.

Signed,
Uses Bullesye in .40S&W in Louisville
Old April 20, 2007, 07:24 AM   #2
FM12

I also use Bullseye for .40 S&W, but dont remember right now what the recipe is. Heck, I use BE in almost everything! I loves the Bullseye powder.
Old April 20, 2007, 08:36 AM   #3
JoeHatley

I use Bullseye for all my handgun calibers. .38 spec --> .45 Colt

Joe
Old April 20, 2007, 10:09 AM   #4
cheygriz

Bullseye is fine. I don't use it, since I prefer full power loads, and I can get considerably higher velocities from HS-6 and Power Pistol.

But for target loads, Bullseye and Titegroup are fine.
Old April 20, 2007, 01:23 PM   #5
Shoney

Although Bullseye is a good powder for the 40S&W, it is rarely used by IPSC shooters. In a review of:

.40 S&W IPSC Loads List
Compiled By: Jeff Maass, USPSA L-1192
Updated: 24 October 2003

In over 500 loads listed for the top shooters, there are none for BE. Although there is no reason given not to use BE, I would suspect that these top shooters have determined that there are more accurate powders.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old April 20, 2007, 02:48 PM   #6
Crazy4nitro

wow,interesting info...where can I find that load list?...
Old April 20, 2007, 07:27 PM   #7
Vinnie's Dad

The only thing I can say about bullseye is it's pretty dirty. I'm not sure if that can effect the gun with rapid shoots. I also like using it in my 45, but much slower shooting pace
Old April 20, 2007, 09:52 PM   #8
DWARREN123

If it works for you and you are happy then don't worry. Ask them why they question your use of BE.
Old April 20, 2007, 11:27 PM   #9
T. O'Heir

"...with rapid shots..." I've been using Bullseye in my .45 for pins and everything else for eons. Works just fine. Even with all the misses.
"...seem to shoot very well..." Rule Number One. If it works, don't fix it.