The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 4, 2012, 09:56 PM   #1
YARDDOG(1)

T/C New Englander

Shot my 50 cal T/C today with RBs & 80 gr RS Pyrodex, Got great shooting, about 3" @ 50-70 Yards. Not too bad for my old eyes ; ) PS Took lots of animals with that rifle
Y/D
Old July 10, 2012, 08:55 PM   #2
jrp

Nice.

I just bought a used .54 New Englander on Gunbroker. Should be here tomorrow. Been looking for a TC peep sight for it, but they are impossible to find.
AzCDL Member
Old July 10, 2012, 11:40 PM   #3
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Quote:
YARDDOG(1): Got great shooting, about 3" @ 50-70 Yards. Not too bad for my old eyes
Grouping. Not bad at all for 50-70 yrds. Just curious. Have you ever actually shot a alligator with this rifle?
Old July 11, 2012, 01:45 PM   #4
flintforever

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...?sku=000307194
Old July 11, 2012, 02:37 PM   #5
Pahoo

Peeps are available

Quote:
Been looking for a TC peep sight for it, but they are impossible to find.
There are about three current choices out there and the one that flintforever has listed will work but not as quick to adjust, if it's required. You will have to verify that you have the third hole, in the tang. If it's not there, it's not a big deal to drill and tap one. .....

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; July 12, 2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old July 11, 2012, 02:44 PM   #6
Cheapshooter

T/C New Englander is the only M/L rifle I have. The only thing I wish I had done is to have bought the 12 GA barrel to go along with the 50 caliber. They seem almost impossible to find now!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old July 11, 2012, 10:27 PM   #7
jrp

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...?sku=000307194

So this will work on the New Englander?
I will have to drill the tang though.
AzCDL Member
Old July 12, 2012, 10:15 AM   #8
Pahoo

You should be good to go.

Quote:
So this will work on the New Englander?
I will have to drill the tang though.
Right now I have to say that it will. The Tang on the New Englander and Penn. Hunter, are simular and currently, I have one on my Penn. I still have the blister pack for this sight and I will check to confirm that it lists the New Englander. Might add that you will also have to tap the third hole but again, not a problems. Also, Lyman makes a better and more expensive peep and that might work for you but would present additional mounting issues. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old July 12, 2012, 12:36 PM   #9
Pahoo

Can do !!

jrp
I physically rechecked both the sight (this sight) and my New Englander. The sight will mount. However, it might take some additional work in drilling and tapping two additional holes as opposed to one.

Originally my sight came from Thompson Center and it came with detailed instructions as to how to mount on various SideLocks. Yours should also come with these instructions and if not, or if you need additonal info, get back to me. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old July 12, 2012, 07:37 PM   #10
jrp

Pahoo, thanks much for checking on that. I'll keep an eye out for one of the TC sights. I think 7197 was the model specifically for the NE and 7194 will also fit with a bit more work as you have confirmed.

The Lyman sight is nice, but much larger. I believe I read somewhere that the sight itself or the stock would need to be altered for it to fit.
AzCDL Member
Old July 12, 2012, 07:48 PM   #11
YARDDOG(1)

jrp, What load do you use in the .54 cal ? Does it kick much, My 50 cal shoots like a dream. My wifes shot it & hit What she aim at ; ) PS Mild recoil
Y/D
Old July 12, 2012, 08:06 PM   #12
Pahoo

My compliments as you've done your homework !!!

Quote:
The Lyman sight is nice, but much larger. I believe I read somewhere that the sight itself or the stock would need to be altered for it to fit.
You are so right and when I installed one on my Penn, Hunter, I chose to modify the sight. Really didn't take much and it worked out just fine. TC, is no longer lising their peeps in there catalogs. Might I suggest a vernier tang sight, instead. I personally prefer them and they are more, "in the Spirit" ..

Be Safe !!!
Old July 12, 2012, 10:27 PM   #13
jrp

Y/D, in the Lyman .54 Trade Rifle, I've shot round ball with from 50 to 100 grains Goex 3f and also tried 80 to 90 grains behind a 385gr. Great Plains bullet just for grins.

Standing, the recoil isn't bad with any of those loads, although the GP bullet loads are pretty stout. Off the bench, my cheek gets slapped by the stock if I go much above 70 grains. I typically shoot 60-70 grains and round ball at paper, cans and steel plates.

I've been shooting cap and ball revolvers since late last year, but just got the Lyman a few months ago. Between BP and .22LR, I'm barely shooting my centerfire guns any more these days.

I will take the New Englander out for the first time next Friday. I'm thinking the flatter stock and butt plate may be more comfortable off the bench than the Lyman.

Pahoo, I've been looking at the various Pedersoli tang sights. What do you think of those? They are kind of pricey. If I can't eventually find a TC sight, I'll have to decide between the Lyman 57 and a Pedersoli. I would modify the Lyman like you did rather than alter the stock.

ETA: I stripped the New Englander and found 2 dabs of silicon gasket type material under the lock. I guess this is a later built rifle when TC QC was getting spotty. I've read about other people finding the same "fix" under the lock. I'm guessing TC had a run of stocks with the mortise cut too deep?
AzCDL Member

Last edited by jrp; July 12, 2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old July 13, 2012, 10:04 AM   #14
samcolt1860

Joe,

Dixie Gunworks is where I recently got my TC peep sight. Everyone else is out of stock and at this moment TC is not making them.

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product...oducts_id=7517
Old July 13, 2012, 10:57 AM   #15
thallub

This year Ft. Sill will require conventional muzzleloaders for the first week of ML deer season. Bought a very nice New Englander .50 caliber a few months ago for $150. Went to sight the gun in with 370 grain Maxi-Balls and found out it was on target at 50 yards. My powder is 100 grains of Pyrodex RS. The primer is Winchester magnum #11.

Problem is my eyes are old and i have trouble finding the bead on the target: Put some orange traffic paint on the bead and it helped some. Best i could do was 2" groups at 50 yards.
Old July 13, 2012, 02:16 PM   #16
Pahoo

Quote:
I've been looking at the various Pedersoli tang sights. What do you think of those? They are kind of pricey. If I can't eventually find a TC sight, I'll have to decide between the Lyman 57 and a Pedersoli. I would modify the Lyman like you did rather than alter the stock.
I like the vernier tang sights as they are "in the spirit". While shopping, don't forget to give Dixie a look. They are also showint the TC sight, you are looking for. Yes, Pedersoli is not only good, but pricey. One concern, is to make sure that the sight does not get in the way of the hammer and your thumb. The further back you are, on the tang the more clearance you have.
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/advance...+sight&x=5&y=5
Quote:
I stripped the New Englander and found 2 dabs of silicon gasket type material under the lock. I guess this is a later built rifle when TC QC was getting spotty. I've read about other people finding the same "fix" under the lock. I'm guessing TC had a run of stocks with the mortise cut too deep?

It was dark brown; wasn't it ?? I guess one might say that this is common and not exclusive for TC. I have a pretty good idea as to why they did this. You will also find this stuff under the tang and sometimes trigger guard. Stock shinkage adds to the problem. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old July 22, 2012, 01:00 AM   #17
jrp

I took the (new to me) .54 New Englander to the range for the first time last Friday. Shot nice, no problems at all. Shot about 20 rounds of .530 ball, .015 patches lubed with Crisco at short distances (we were on a plinking/tac range, not the 100yd. rifle range) .

The stock fit well and didn't slap me in the face like the Lyman tends to do. The factory open sights were fine, although I'd still like to eventually put a peep on it for 50 and 100 yard shooting (my eyesight isn't too good).

However, I must say that I don't like the QLA muzzle. I found it harder to load than a standard barrel. With my Lyman Trade Rifle, I can exert maximum force with the stubby end of the short starter to initially get the ball seated. With QLA, I can't use the stubby end to seat the ball. Because of that I found I had to pound on the starter with the palm of my hand to get the ball seated. I'm sure the seating effort will get somewhat easier as the gun breaks in (I don't think this gun has been shot much), but my first impression of QLA is not favorable.

But overall I really like my NE. My shooting buddy, who hasn't shown much interest in my Trade Rifle, offered to buy my NE (nope!) and last I heard was looking at NE's on Gunbroker!
AzCDL Member
Old July 22, 2012, 09:48 AM   #18
Pahoo

Trading off one nuisance for another !!!

Quote:
However, I must say that I don't like the QLA muzzle. I found it harder to load than a standard barrel.
That is to say that you find it to be a problem loading RB's. I can unerstand that. The QLA feature was instoduce to make it easier to load Saboted projectiles as well as conicals. It assist in the initial alignment, into the muzzle. Kind of hard to address or accomodate all projectiles. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old July 22, 2012, 12:21 PM   #19
arcticap

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp
However, I must say that I don't like the QLA muzzle. I found it harder to load than a standard barrel. With my Lyman Trade Rifle, I can exert maximum force with the stubby end of the short starter to initially get the ball seated. With QLA, I can't use the stubby end to seat the ball. Because of that I found I had to pound on the starter with the palm of my hand to get the ball seated. I'm sure the seating effort will get somewhat easier as the gun breaks in (I don't think this gun has been shot much), but my first impression of QLA is not favorable.
I don't like th QLA either and probably wouldn't buy one because of it.
A guy on another forum posted photos showing how he cut off the QLA section of an older TC inline rifle and then re-crowned the barrel all by himself.
That's an idea to consider.
Why keep the QLA if all it does is cause loading problems?
It's simple enough to get rid of and almost any gunsmith will do it.
Old July 22, 2012, 05:18 PM   #20
jrp

Quote:
The QLA feature was instoduce to make it easier to load Saboted projectiles as well as conicals.
Yep, I realized this some time after making my post last night. I can definitely see how QLA would help with loading conicals. In fact, I struggled a bit with the Lyman when loading the few of conicals I've shot in it. It was hard to keep them straight while starting them.

I haven't tried a conical in the NE yet, but I'll bet its much easier. Unfortunately I mainly shoot RB. One member PM'ed me to suggest using a .010 patch for ease of loading, especially when I'm on the short-distance plinking where a small accuracy/velocity loss wouldn't matter. That sounds like a good idea to try.
AzCDL Member
Old July 22, 2012, 07:11 PM   #21
Pahoo

Maintain the fun factor !!

Quote:
Unfortunately I mainly shoot RB.
No need to oppologize or compromise as I too shoot more RB's than anythig else. Jsut more fun. Unless I'm mistaken, you should have a 1:48" twist. How is that working out for you and perhaps you could share you "Shot-String" with us. ...

Be Safe !!!