The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old March 27, 2012, 08:15 AM   #1
leonwb

22 cal information

i have a 22 that my father gave me years ago i dug it out .it has on top of barrel in front of rear sight anciens establishments pieper herstal-belgium then small flower -22 cal an flower stamped on side of barrel made in belgium. on bottom of barrel is stamped 1503.in another place it has a animal footprint then an r then a mark then a c and then a straight mark with half circle an end then a dot .then 22L then a crown with a circle on bottom of crown with E L Gin circle, any information would be greatly appreciated
Old March 27, 2012, 08:17 AM   #2
Spats McGee
Staff

Welcome to The Firing Line. If you can post pictures of it, that will help with identification.
Old March 27, 2012, 08:30 AM   #3
leonwb

got no way to post pic sorry

wisshed could i know the gun is older but dont know much about it its single shot bolt action
Old March 28, 2012, 05:03 AM   #4
leonwb

22 cal information

on the top of barrel rate behind back sight there is a horse or deer stamped
on there,an just below that EAYARD is there which i dont know what it is or what it means any help would be greatly appreciated , ty leon
Old March 28, 2012, 05:57 AM   #5
SDC

"Bayard" was a trade-name used by the Belgian manufacturer Pieper for many of their guns; this is one of their "boy's rifles", but that's about all we can tell you without close-up pictures of those marks, and that may be all we could tell you, period. If this rifle splits cases when you shoot it, it may actually be chambered for 6mm Flobert, and shouldn't be fired with modern 22 ammo.
Old March 28, 2012, 02:31 PM   #6
PetahW

Yes, It a Pieper Bayard Depose rifle - one of the top pictured below - most likely.

AFAIK - Pieper started building rifles around 1908.

Last edited by PetahW; March 28, 2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old March 28, 2012, 08:07 PM   #7
touchstone48

I am a new member and I think this is wonderful. I have a model 12 and have learned a lot of information on my gun. I also was reading the posts on these guns. I have one of these and have had it since I was 9 years old and knew nothing about it for years. The wording on my gun barrel is FARRIOUT NATIONALE DARMES deGUERRE HERSTAL BELGIQUE. There are symbols on the left side of the barrel and BREVETE-S.G.D.G. on the receiver in front of the bolt. My gun looks similar to the top two pictures. I will try and post pics later. I don't know if this helps or not.
Old March 28, 2012, 09:11 PM   #8
Bill DeShivs

The first word is "Fabrique."
Old March 29, 2012, 07:56 PM   #9
touchstone48

Yes I think is fabrique . Thanks
Old March 29, 2012, 09:41 PM   #10
gyvel

Quote:
am a new member and I think this is wonderful. I have a model 12 and have learned a lot of information on my gun. I also was reading the posts on these guns. I have one of these and have had it since I was 9 years old and knew nothing about it for years. The wording on my gun barrel is FARRIOUT NATIONALE DARMES deGUERRE HERSTAL BELGIQUE.
What you have is a single shot produced by Fabrique Natilonale d'Armes de Guerre, aka "FN," the same venerable firm that produced the Browning Hi Power, A-5 shotgun, myriads of .25s, .32s and .380s, etc.

Not sure if yours is one of the ones designed by John M. Browning or not. He sold patent rights to Winchester for a cheap, simple .22 single shot, but I don't remember what his arrangements with the FN firm were regarding .22s.