The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 29, 2000, 08:34 PM   #1
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Hi folks,

Went to my local cop shop today and they have some ( minus one ) 870 12 ga/20 in. trade ins. One followed me home for $179.00. I did note that my pick of the litter had a smooth shell lifter as opposed to the FlexTab lifter than later editions have. Any thoughts about replacing the lifter?

Giz

Old August 30, 2000, 02:09 AM   #2
NJW

I think the flex tab is a good idea and when you need it, you need it. Replacing it is not that hard of a job and takes me anout 15 min.

NJW in AZ
Old August 30, 2000, 05:45 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

When I kitchentabled the 870 I use for birds and clays,I used the leftover carrier/lifter from when I had one of the serious 870s converted. This 870's not intended for HD under even abnormal circumstances.

Old style- due to wear or stupidity, the last shell in the mag comes back behind the lifter and jams the weapon big time. To clear this requires major disassembly or a clearing drill that's rather rough on the shotgun.

Flextab- shell comes back, is chambered and fired as usual.

If t'were me, I'd get the Flextab.

Also, congrats on the purchase.Cop trade ins are some of the best bargains in the gun world.
Old August 30, 2000, 07:50 AM   #4
JNewell

Somewhere recently I saw a conversion kit for sale -- either Brownells or the Remington websites, I think. I think it was in the $20-30 range, but could be failing the memory test.

A nearby dealer has a nice, old 870 with a 2 3/4" 26" Polychoke barrel on it for $150. Someday it's going to follow me home, although it's been there forever so I'm in no rush -- my guess is that everybody sees the Polychoke and says "next." Happily, I've got a spare 18" barrel lying around. <g>
Old August 30, 2000, 08:23 AM   #5
Icopy

Brownells and Remington sell the flexi-tab conversion kit. It's worth it.
Old August 30, 2000, 09:38 AM   #6
KilgorII

Excuse my ignorance, but please explain what a "Flex-Tab" is for an 870? I have access to several 870 from 50 years old to 4 years old. I don't see a difference in them. Is this newer than the 4 year old 870? Can someone describe it or point me to a website with a picture? What is it's purpose?

Thanks,

Kilgor

Old August 30, 2000, 10:07 AM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Kilgor, if the shell carrier has a slot in it, THAT's the Flextab. There's some internal differences too.
Old August 31, 2000, 03:35 PM   #8
SKN

The factory flexi-tab conversion switches out three assemblies: the shell carrier and carrier dog, the slide (floorplate for the bolt) which is modified with a pair of relief ramps, and the bolt which has a relief cut on the bottom side at the front. Cost is $75.

Simply cutting a tab into the carrier may not improve the weapon's reliability and, in fact, may impair it. Misfeeds and double feeds which occur routinely are usually caused by a defective or broken shell latch.

The clearance procedure for a misfeed in an 870 without the felxi tab modification is not difficult and can be done relatively quickly. With safety engaged and the muzzle up, drive the butt of the weapon against an unyielding surface while depressing the action bar release and pulling the slide to the rear. Double feeds, on the other hand, are time consuming and may even require disassembly of the weapon.

[This message has been edited by SKN (edited September 01, 2000).]
Old August 31, 2000, 05:57 PM   #9
KilgorII

What is its purpose?

Old September 1, 2000, 03:47 AM   #10
SKN

Its' purpose is to easily correct a misfeed, a circumstance where a shell is unintentionally fed onto the carrier and becomes trapped between it and the bottom of the slide (floorplate of the bolt). This will cause the bolt to be completely jammed closed. Instead of initiating the stoppage clearance procedure outlined above, the flexi tab modification allows the shooter to cycle the weapon normally even if a misfeed occurs.
Old September 1, 2000, 05:11 AM   #11
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

SKN is correct about the clearance drill, but...

Folks should know that stocks have been cracked and broken doing this. Dunnit myself.
Old September 1, 2000, 08:47 AM   #12
KilgorII

Ok, I'm pretty sure the 4 year old one is so equiped then because I had one of these last weekend and just cycled the bolt to clear it. I didn't have to put an in ordinate amount of pressure on it either. Thank you fellas.