The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 11, 2013, 09:18 AM   #51
Cheapshooter

I have posted my Hi-Point story before. To make it short, I bought a C9 just to see If they could possibly be as bad as those who have never owned one say. The happy ending is that they are not the junk that some claim. Rock solid, accurate, any reliable.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 12, 2013, 06:52 AM   #52
h518may

i have considered getting one in .45 and a carbine in .40. from what i've heard/read, wont win any beauty contests and are very heavy and clunky, but shoot when you pull the trigger, and that's what is most important, right? cant speak from any personal experience with one but would consider one for the price.

Last edited by h518may; March 12, 2013 at 07:04 AM.
Old March 13, 2013, 02:17 PM   #53
Garycw

Hi-point

Quote:
Originally Posted by h518may View Post
i have considered getting one in .45 and a carbine in .40. from what i've heard/read, wont win any beauty contests and are very heavy and clunky, but shoot when you pull the trigger, and that's what is most important, right? cant speak from any personal experience with one but would consider one for the price.
Constantine may think they're junk as well as many others, but they are NOT. They have a lifetime warranty for a reason and they are made in OHIO which I think is good. The 40&45's are too big I think, but the 380&9mm aren't bad. As far as looks,??? Sorry but I don't think they look any worse than Glocks! Good quality guns, but nice looking they're not. Ammo that won't shoot in others will work in hi-points fine and the carbines are a blast to shoot. Maybe more people would like them if they cost $500 & made in another country?

Sent from iPhone
Old March 13, 2013, 05:57 PM   #54
Tactical Jackalope

Hi-point

They have a lifetime warranty with reason. That doesn't help their argument.

Great. They can shoot. So can a slingshot. I doubt they'll stand the test of time. You can't compare a hi-point to a SIG, Glock, HK, S&W..etc.

They're in the same category as Jennings, Gimenez, Loecerin...etc.

You like it that's fine. I never will.

It's a little weird when people compare it to others like its the best thing since sliced bread.

That's like tomorrow I buy a Hyundai and brag about it to a Maserati owner.

In your budget, the next thing people say. Okay. So be it. But do you announce when you're broke and had to cut corners to the world?

Maybe it's just me...whatever. Lets not all dog-pile now.
Old March 13, 2013, 06:28 PM   #55
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Nothing could be farther from the truth! Those makes all have had repeated reliability, and quality problems. Hi-Point got the whole low cost handgun thing down right.
As many have said, an example of fine craftsmanship-no. A cosmetically pleasing design-no. A new, and inovative design-no. An heirloom handgun to pass down to future generations-no.
A reliable, accurate, low cost handgun-unquestionable! Except of course by those who don't want to admit that a $150 gun can be just as relible, and accurate as their elite brand that costs four or five times as much.
I could afford to spend much mord, and I have. In fact my Hi-Point was a $150 experiment with a pleasantly surprising outcome. A cheap, reliable, accurate, and fun to shoot 9MM handgun.
Of course those who have their Sig's, HK's, and FN's don't need a Hi-Point. But don't begrudge those who don't have the disposable income you do the oportunity to excercize their constitutional right to own a firearm. Nor look down your elitist, judgemental nose at those who just want a low cost range toy.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 13, 2013, 07:19 PM   #56
sigarms228

Quote:
They have a lifetime warranty with reason. That doesn't help their argument.

Great. They can shoot. So can a slingshot. I doubt they'll stand the test of time. You can't compare a hi-point to a SIG, Glock, HK, S&W..etc.

You like it that's fine. I never will.

It's a little weird when people compare it to others like its the best thing since sliced bread.

That's like tomorrow I buy a Hyundai and brag about it to a Maserati owner.

In your budget, the next thing people say. Okay. So be it. But do you announce when you're broke and had to cut corners to the world?

Maybe it's just me...whatever. Lets not all dog-pile now.
I am with you Constatine.

Here is a reference of the 2000 round review of a HiPoint pistol.

A malfunction every 28 rounds… HiPoint C9

http://www.gunssavelife.com/?p=2527

Interesting that local Cabelas a few weeks ago hardly had any centerfire pistols left at all but they still had the HiPoints in their case like they usually do.

Last edited by sigarms228; March 13, 2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old March 13, 2013, 07:20 PM   #57
Garycw

Hi-point

I've got a few HiPoints accumulated over time. I also have a Sigs, S&W & Rugers. I've never worried about any of them misfiring. The last HiPoint I purchased (at gun show) was a 9mm carbine, red dot, two extra mags in butt holder +1 and a sling all in original box ....$90 total. And it was in excellent shape 5 months ago. Wasn't looking or planing on getting another , but I can spend more than that for dinner and only have s__t to show for it later.

Sent from iPhone
Old March 13, 2013, 07:26 PM   #58
Garycw

Hi-point

Here's one of the first ones I picked up.

Sent from iPhone
Old March 13, 2013, 07:34 PM   #59
SPEMack618

Gary, not gonna lie, the comp/laser combo does give that gun a bit of a sophisticated air. I like it.

I would say Hi-Point is far better than Jennings, Raven, Bryco, and the like.

To echo Cheapshooter, I will never begrudge a man who buys a Hi-Point to defend his home. Atleast he or she is accepting personal responsibility and doing it within the confines of his or her budget. No price floor on defending one's home or engaging in one's civil rights.

Not to say I won't make boat anchors jokes to said man occassionally, but one must keep the peasents in thier place. I kid. I kid.
Old March 13, 2013, 07:58 PM   #60
ttarp

Man this thread just won't die will it? Let me help continue the madness. Constantine is right about how people for some reason tend to compare Hi Points to high end firearms. I'd even go so far as to say Hi Point IS in the the Jennings, Lorcin, Bryco, category mainly because of their price point, but unlike the rest of those makes, Hi Point's ARE reliable, trustworthy firearms.
Old March 13, 2013, 08:01 PM   #61
thedudeabides

Goes bang when you pull the trigger.

Bullets go where you point the sights.

Costs less than a nice set of 1911 grips.

Uglier than a donkey's butthole.
Old March 13, 2013, 08:07 PM   #62
fallingrock71

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention earlier another major plus with the c9. Outperforming the guy next to you at range who thinks your HiPoint is junk. It is always interesting to see how they react. Usually they either get frustrated and leave OR they have to try it for themselves. It is much fun witnessing a convert happen in front of you. My c9 will shoot nice tight little groups all day long much like my more expensive pistols. Of course it didn't cost at least 300 bucks so it's junk
Old March 13, 2013, 08:34 PM   #63
BOBA FETT

has anyone seen that video on youtube of gun shop owners taking a hi point out and shooting the hell out of it and trying to destroy it.....but the thing just kept on working even with a bulged barrel.....lol
Old March 13, 2013, 09:31 PM   #64
Tactical Jackalope

Hi-point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingrock71 View Post
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention earlier another major plus with the c9. Outperforming the guy next to you at range who thinks your HiPoint is junk. It is always interesting to see how they react. Usually they either get frustrated and leave OR they have to try it for themselves. It is much fun witnessing a convert happen in front of you. My c9 will shoot nice tight little groups all day long much like my more expensive pistols. Of course it didn't cost at least 300 bucks so it's junk
Some people just can't shoot.

Once saw a kid with a Les Baer, shooting with his pops.

And I outshot him with my Glock 19. Those little stories can go any way. Depends on the shooter.
Old March 13, 2013, 09:35 PM   #65
JustABulletAway

I have two .45 ACP pistols. One is a Hi-Point, the other is a Sig Nightmare 1911.
Talk about opposite ends of the spectrum...one Zamak and plastic, the other a Stainless Steel work of art.

But, that being said, the Hi-Point IS reliable and accurate. Has never once had a FTF, FTE or FTL. I have never even taken the stupid thing apart to clean it. Just wipe it off, run a patch or two down the pipe, give it a squirt or two of Break Free and keep on going.

Is it ugly? Yes
Is it top heavy? Oh yeah.
Are the grips slick as snot? Yep.
Does it win any beauty contests? Maybe against a Glock.
Does it go bang every time I pull the trigger? Yep

I also have the 995TS carbine. I have had similar results with it. Good, cheap, reliable.

Now do either compare to my higher end guns in looks, feel or quality? Hell no.
Are they fun to shoot? Yep.

So I guess I am in the middle here.

To the gun snobs - don't look down your nose at a HiPoint, it is a capable firearm and is all some folks can afford or all they care to spend. Do not compare these guns to Lorcins or Jennings however as they might not be elegant but they will function and will not fall apart in your hand.

To the HiPoint owners who don't have high end guns - quit trying to make your cheap pistol something it is not. Reliable or not it will never have the feel, fit or finish of a high end gun. There is a reason some guns cost $1000 or more. It is called craftsmanship.
Old March 13, 2013, 09:37 PM   #66
Tactical Jackalope

That was touching...

So how much do you want for that SIG Nightmare?
Old March 13, 2013, 09:45 PM   #67
4runnerman

Ditto to Justabulletaway. you can buy prettier,you can buy more exspensive. WHat you can't do is buy more reliable.
Old March 13, 2013, 09:47 PM   #68
larry starling

You guys are leaving off the best feature of a Hi-point. If you run out of ammo or it does jam you can just use it as a hammer and beat the heck out of some one with it. on a serious note my friends first gun was a Hi-point. he has kept it, But has moved on to better quality firearms. His words not mine.
Old March 13, 2013, 09:56 PM   #69
JustABulletAway

Quote:
So how much do you want for that SIG Nightmare?
My Nightmare ain't goin' anywhere. I do highly recommend it though.
I have held a lot of 1911s but that one just makes me weak in the knees every time I pick it up. Its like it was made just for my hand.

But, let's keep this on topic...every heard anybody say something like that about a Hi-Point? LOL
Old March 13, 2013, 10:05 PM   #70
Tactical Jackalope

I have a SIG XO, 220, 226, and Scorpion I know they rock. Better than my Colt's (in terms of feeding JHP's)

If you ever wanna sell that Nightmare and wield your hipoint phaser thing, let me know via PM.
Old March 13, 2013, 10:15 PM   #71
JustABulletAway

I only have a SP2022 and a Nightmare so far but they won't be the last for sure.
After my wife shot the Nightmare, she wants her own Sig 1911.
I'll keep an eye out and let you know if I find one locally. I am in the gun shops around here pretty regularly. I live near Buds, Kentucky Gun Co, Gilbert's Guns.

Lots of Gun Shops in Central KY.
Old March 13, 2013, 10:34 PM   #72
David White

Hi-point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skans View Post
If you need a gun for protection and can't afford anything better, Hi-Point is not a bad choice. If you are looking for a range toy, there are much better choices. Also, if you can afford a "range toy", you can probably afford something better than a Hi-Point.

If you want to conduct torture tests and publish them on Youtube, then Hi-Point is perfect!
The torture tests are already on YouTube! I will tell you this too, those darn guns take a considerable amount of torture and you just can't kill them!
I was astounded to see how much abuse they put it through, only to have it just keep chugging along!
Old March 14, 2013, 08:46 AM   #73
Wreck-n-Crew

What i want to know is where and how much was that laser sight?

I have seen people come to the range with them and they have a learning curve.
The laser plays with the mind...this guy was putting the laser on target and confused when it moved so much when he pulled the trigger...And when he adjusted it and shot again (several times) i heard him cuss a different word everytime....lmao.

I know it was the shooter error but i had to tell the story, still want a laser for fun, not ccw or hd.
Old March 14, 2013, 09:38 AM   #74
themalicious0ne

My father bought a used one in .380. I have fired it many times. Very very jam prone, at least for ours. None of my local dealers sell them and they will not take ours for a trade. I have heard people like theirs. I also shoot with someone who has one. I havent asked him about it as to not offend, but I have seen him shoot at least 50 rounds out of it one time and he had only one jam. I cant speak as for the reason why. Ours is much worse. I would say a gun is better than no gun, it at least always gets off the first round. It may only need a new spring. Who knows, decide for yourself. Best of luck whatever you choose to do.
Old April 10, 2013, 04:24 PM   #75
Railcar

I have a Hipoint JHP45 that I have carried in my truck for 5 years now. It doesnt care for hollow points, they sometimes jam, but they will take whatever i throw in the mag, and spit it back out where I tell it to. That little brick has saved my life 5 times from dogs, and taken out a badger, and a handfull of rattlers. I love the gun cause it is a cheap reliable brick, and if it gets banged up rolling around the truck, oh well, at least it isnt my Wilson Combat. If I do ever break it, i send it back to Ohio, they make it right again, and usually throw in a new mag for your troubles. No other handgun company has a warrnate like that.