The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 24, 2014, 10:47 PM   #1
subhuman

my grandpaws .38

my grandpaw left me his old Rohm 63 .38spc and a old cowboy carry rig that has mostly rotted away over the years and is not usable.I decided to see what i could do with it, the holster it's self is in decent shape so I took the rig apart and mounted it on an extra Blackhawk serpa paddle and put a little forward cant on it. I still need to make a retention strap of some kind and I'm going to trim out the trigger slot some to seat the pistol about a half inch deeper into the holster. i will post some more shots of it as i play with it,and before y'all start about the exposed trigger and the crappy quality of the rohm this is just kind of a tribute and a way to remember my grandpaw and just shoot his gun every now and then, there is a lot of memories in this old pistol for me, I was about five the first time pappa took me out and let me shoot it and me and it have killed a few truck loads of cans and bottles and paper targets over the last 35 years

Old June 24, 2014, 10:49 PM   #2
subhuman

Old June 24, 2014, 11:09 PM   #3
HungryHunter

Thanks for the pics.Very cool story! Thank you for sharing.
Old June 24, 2014, 11:22 PM   #4
Clark

My grandpa had an Iver Johnson 38 s&w break top hammerless in the Alaskan Gold rush. He died half a century later in 1965 and my father inherited it. My father died in 2012, and my brother and I share now share the revolver. I have the black powder ammo.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old August 9, 2014, 03:39 PM   #5
subhuman

dug this out to play with it this weekend, with that set up the pistol carried good but has a high draw stroke

so i put the holster back on the backing strap and attached it to the Blackhawk paddle and dropped the gun about 3.5", if I like this i will pick up some hardware for a more secure attachment to the paddle and some black leather strings for lanyard duty

Old August 9, 2014, 06:14 PM   #6
gwpercle

Don't get all concerned about the exposed trigger. That's the way they were made back then. And that's the way this holster was made. Don't go cutting it up trying to get it farther in . Single actions and quick draw rigs, remember the opening scene in "Gunsmoke". Exposed triggers for a fast draw.
You did an excellent job of adapting it. Looks fine and I'm sure your grandpaw would be very proud.
I personally like a higher riding rig. Watch the movie "Shane" Alan Ladd will explain where a good location is. GOOD JOB!
Gary
Old August 9, 2014, 07:52 PM   #7
Hawg

I wouldn't go cutting on it either. It is what it is and should be left that way. It is not however period correct. Those are the type holsters that gave us all the lawsuits. Period holsters covered the trigger and most if not all of the hammer.
Old August 10, 2014, 03:41 PM   #8
subhuman

got the ride right for me, and fixed to the paddle, drew from it some, think this will work. May even buy myself an Ubirti .45 to drop into it now and then