The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 9, 2010, 10:59 PM   #1
benny7mmWSM

glock 17 issues

i have a nice glock 17 well used last weekend at the range something horrible happend, my freind droped the weapon on the concrete from about five feet and it did several bounces and when i recovered i found the frame was cracked right behind the trigger gaurd, my question is can a man find a new frame or am i SOL, it is a well used and well broke in pistol, and i would find myself jb welding it back to gether if i can not fix it what do you guys think.
Old February 10, 2010, 01:33 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

You can buy new lowers:

http://www.ccfraceframes.com/options.php

Although I don't know if you can get an actual "Glock" OEM lower unless someone happens to be selling their used one.

Keep in mind though that the "lower" is THE GUN. It would have to be transferred through an FFL.

You COULD send it back to Glock. I don't know what they'd do or say or charge for the repair/replacement.

JB Weld seems like it COULD work, but I'd hesitate to recommend it.

I'd say that your friend owes you the repair/replacement cost.
Old February 10, 2010, 01:47 PM   #3
Catfish25p2000

Man, that sucks! I wouldn't think a glock (which is supposed to be the "battle rifle" of the handgun world) should crack like that. Gosh, I though you were going to say it fired when it was dropped. Good thing! I would do like peetza said, call Glock and try to send it back. Although, I don't know how that works sending a gun out of the country. Are there any Glock factories in the states? Good luck with that. Keep us posted.
Old February 10, 2010, 01:48 PM   #4
Catfish25p2000

Here you go...
GLOCK, Inc.
6000 Highlands Parkway
Smyrna, GA 30082
U.S.A.
Tel.: +1 770 - 432 1202
Fax: +1 770 - 433 8719
Old February 10, 2010, 10:30 PM   #5
benny7mmWSM

thanks peetzakilla, i checked them out 319 for a alloy or stainless frame that isnt that bad but i did call glock and they said that they would have to look at it and if they replaced the frame it would be 275 plus frieght, plus any internals, plus ffl cost, plus a freakin head ache, i could charge my friend but i woulld feel bad cause S%&* does happen. i was just joking bout the jb weld, i have been wanting to build a custom glock for target shooting for a while so this might be my chance, and guys i am grateful that the weapon did not discharge when it was dropped and had 8 rounds in mag 1 in the tube thus is a safe weapon in my standards.
Old February 10, 2010, 11:42 PM   #6
JohnKSa
Staff

I would caution you to do some research on the CCF frames before buying. Apparently some folks have had problems with them.