The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 30, 2002, 02:16 PM   #1
Bob S

Stock for Mossberg "persuader"?? Ebay advice?

Just saw another thread about mossberg stocks so I thought I would jump in with my own question. I have a mossberg persuader in 12 guage. Will a stock for a Mossberg 500/600 fit it. I am looking at one on Ebay but not sure it will fit? Are stock bolts hard to come by? Here is the stock I am looking at on Ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1574289657

Let me know what you think. If it will fit, I will probably buy it
Old October 30, 2002, 02:35 PM   #2
Skullboy

If am not mistaken, the persuader is just a Model 500 with a pistol grip, so any stock that fits a 500 should fit your's.You could always check with you local gun shop and or gunsmith about the fit and the availibity of the stock and stock bolt. I had the Mossberg 500 combo, which had the regular stock and the pistol grip. I prefered the full stock.HTH. Skullboy.

If They Call It Tourist Season, Why Can't We Shoot Them?
Old October 30, 2002, 02:47 PM   #3
Bob S

Skullboy, Im not sure if its a 500 with a pistol grip, or a 590?? Never been really sure. It has the heat guard on the barrel and the mag tube that extends all the way to the end of the barrel. Its a cool shotgun, but the pistol grip has to go. Guess I have grown out of that and now realize that the pistol grip is not of much use. Sure is fun to shoot that way at the range though. Any one else know if the Ebay stock will fit my gun and where I can get a stock bolt?
Old October 30, 2002, 03:33 PM   #4
Kevlarman

Isn't the model stamped on the bottom of the receiver? That should tell you what it is right then and there.
Old October 30, 2002, 05:04 PM   #5
Skullboy

Bob S, I just checked the Mossberg website(www.mossberg.com).The combo that I had is called the Persuader model.It comes with a full stock and a pistol grip.Looking through their catologe, the only shotgun they show with a heatshield and extended mag is the 590 series.If your gun has a parkerized finish, I'm willing to bet that it is a 590, that someone has put a pistol grip on.If it is a blued finish, I would say someone added the heatshield and extended mag to a 500 series.I believe both models are based on the same reciever, so the stock should fit.Try e-mailing Mossberg.The shotgun stock I really like is the Choate full stock with the pistol grip.I use on on my 870.HTH. Skullboy.

If They Call It Tourist Season, Why Can't We Shoot Them?
Old October 30, 2002, 10:19 PM   #6
zxc

Cruiser model: 12gauge,20inch, PG,8+1.Heatshield. Im in th same boat, looking for a stock.
Old October 31, 2002, 06:46 AM   #7
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Check these folks out...

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/p...TVNKUQLFR34R49

Mossberg factory synthetic stock for 35$ plus shipping..
Old October 31, 2002, 11:52 AM   #8
CMichael

My Persuader didn't have a pistol grip.

Michael
Old October 31, 2002, 05:34 PM   #9
Andrew Wyatt

to my knowledge, all of the mossberg models with 7 round magazine tubes are called persuaders. My mossberg has the standard stock, 7+1 round capacity and the manual called it a persuader.
Old February 16, 2005, 11:52 PM   #10
toivo

A Persuader is...

...a 12 gauge or 20 gauge Mossberg 500 pump with a cylinder-bore barrel and a synthetic stock. It has a blued finish and the following barrel/magazine options:

12 gauge--18.5 inch/6-shot tube or 20 inch/8-shot tube
20 gauge--18.5 inch/6-shot tube

They come with a straight stock and an optional pistol grip that replaces the straight stock. You can get it with the pistol grip installed and no straight stock, and then it's called a Cruiser. 12 gauge Cruisers have a heat shield. The Cruiser is also available in .410, 18.5 inch barrel/6 shot tube.

A Mossberg 590 has a parkerized finish, speed feed stock, 20 inch barrel/9-shot tube (not sure how they get that extra round in there), optional ghost ring sights, optional heat shield. As far as I can tell, they're not called a Persuader, at least not in the online catalog.

This is according to the latest online catalog, at:

http://www.mossberg.com/pcatalog/Specpurp.htm