The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 30, 2000, 12:14 PM   #26
Mike Irwin
Staff

I keep my shotgun loaded with Remington 2 3/4" No. 4 buckshot.

In the sidesaddle I keep 5 rounds of S&B 2 3/4" 00 buck, 12 pellets. This round gets 12 pellets, instead of the standard 9, because it doesn't have a folded crimp, it has a full-length hull with a roll crimp and cover wad. Kicks like a bloody SOB.

------------------
Beware the man with the S&W .357 Mag.
Chances are he knows how to use it.
Old August 30, 2000, 07:37 PM   #27
johnbt

I'm glad this topic came up. It reminded me that I'm nearly out of 3" OO for my Express Mag. Right now it's loaded with the last two, plus three Remington 3" turkey loads - 2 oz. of copper-plated number 5's. I thought about using the 3", 1 3/8 oz. steel BB duck loads. I also figure that with 14" thick brick walls covered with an inch or so of plaster there is a good chance some of this stuff is going bounce back at me if I'm not careful. Thanks again for reminding me and for the info. too. John
Old August 31, 2000, 01:34 AM   #28
Arnistador

Regarding slugs for home defense, I load my magazines last two rounds with slugs, with the following reasoning. If three, four, or five (depending on mag capacity) rounds of #7 shot, #4 buck, or 00 buck (pick your favorite load) doesn't fix your problem, either a shotgun won't solve it, or you need something with better penetration (e.g. BG is hiding behind cover, etc.,) YMMV.

Tim

Old August 31, 2000, 04:29 AM   #29
Glamdring

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gary H:
I still don't understand the need for slugs in HD. Have you read of situations where buckshot was inadequate? Take my house for example. In the house we are at buckshot distance. I can't imagine a battle scene where someone is out on the street shooting at me, but should that be the case, my Carbon 15 is a better weapon. Inside of the house, when are you loading the slug? Is Mr. BG behind the refrigerator, or your wood desk and will a slug do the job?[/quote]

Slugs have failed, see Jim Cirillo's book.
Rifles have failed Hatchcock and his spotter shot one VC multiple times with 30 cal rifles before he "stopped".

IMHO no one needs slugs for HD. But it is nice to have them at hand just in case.
I keep my SG loaded with 5 rounds of Fed's Tactical OO buck with 5 slugs on the butt cuff. The gun is stored chamber empty and has a 7 round mag tube so I can load it with slugs if I go outside.

I also keep one speedloader filled with Federal's 180 grain castcores for my 357, the gun is loaded with 125 JHP and so are most of the speedloaders. My 629 is loaded with Speer's 44 special 200 GDHP's and so are most of the speedloaders, but I keep one speed loader filled with Federal's 300 grain castcores.

I live in a small town, but I am only few blocks from fields. I know people who have been attacked by bulls on farms in the area, and my parents have had cattle in their yard before. Gee I am starting to sound like FUD Just last night the State Patrol was dealing with a whole heard of cattle on HWY 14 just a little ways from here.

I will admit going outside your home isn't true home defense most likely, more often aiding someone else. I have dealt with goblins attacking women outside my apartment on 2 seperate occasions though I didn't take my SG with me [came close the 2nd time though].

A 5.56 probably makes more sense when you go outside the home with a long gun. I don't like the 5.56 cartridge though, I know it would do the job, but I have no faith in a 22.

YMMV
BTW I live only about 15 minutes from the Mayo clinic, so this isn't even the west the cows are SUPPOSED to be behind fences here

[This message has been edited by Glamdring (edited August 31, 2000).]