The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old October 25, 2008, 06:45 PM   #1
smee78

Tac 65 Suppressor?

Does anybody have any experience with a Tactical Innovations Tac-65 .22 I am looking at getting one and wanted to get some feed back.
Old October 25, 2008, 10:35 PM   #2

I have one.
Shot it yesterday.

I can't give you a lot of feeback on it. It works great. It is quiet.
The reason I can't give you a lot of feedback is that TO ME, most of these suppressors sound the same. I honestly can't tell the difference in sound between them.

One drawback to the TAC 65 is that it is aluminum. This somewhat limits the ways you can clean it. You can't go overboard with bead blasting. You can't use harsh chemicals that might damage aluminum. But, this is a non-issue to me.

I can absolutely recommend that you get one.
FWIW: After owning the TAC 65 for a year or so, I bought another Tactial Innovations suppressor, the Quest; so obviously I was satisfied with the performance of my first Tactical Innovations product.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old October 26, 2008, 12:44 PM   #3
smee78

Thanks 444 for the info. Would you recommend the quest over the tac 65 because of the materials?
Old October 26, 2008, 01:14 PM   #4
Crosshair

I own a TAC-62, an obsolete, but still very good, design. The TAC-65 will perform better than mine, and mine is already very good.

The TAC-65 weighs 4.2 ounces.
Is NOT full auto rated. You even need to be careful when doing a semi-auto mag dump as you can significantly increase wear on the baffles.
Inherently less durable than a steel design.

The Quest weighs 7.1 ounces.
Rated for limited full auto. Semi-auto mag dumps are not going to increase the rate of wear on the baffles.
Steel is heavier, but more durable.

The Quest is going to make a handgun more front heavy because of it's weight. On a 22 rifle, the difference will be less noticeable.

If you want something that is lightweight, get the TAC-65, if you want something that is as durable as possible, get the Quest.
Old October 26, 2008, 01:49 PM   #5
PTK

I have a Tac-63 with -65 baffles. Sounds just about the same on my Buckmark pistol and Romanian .22lr rifle as my friends' MUCH higher $$$ offerings from other companies. For the ~$200 or so of a Tac-65, you'll be very happy. Most hosts sound "Hollywood" quiet with it, especially Ruger MkIIs and P22s.
Old October 26, 2008, 09:55 PM   #6

I wouldn't worry about what it is made of.
Just get the TAC 65.
You will enjoy it. It will do everything you think it will do. Etc.

As was mentioned before. When I started buying suppressors I would scour the internet looking for information. I would look at these sites that rate the suppressors based on metered sound tests and all that stuff. I then paid the money to get the best stuff on these lists.
Then I would go out shooting with other people who had suppressors and I couldn't tell the difference between their stuff and my stuff. And they paid half the money for theirs.
This is sort of like the question "If a tree falls in the woods.............."
If a suppressor is vastly superior in real sopisticated tests using state of the art testing proceedures and industry standard protocols, but you can't tell the difference when you are shooting them: does it matter ?
And if you can get something that sounds just as good to you for half or a third the money, how can you go wrong ?
Believe me when I tell you that I don't let money stop me when I am buying toys. I am not rich, but I have been working at the same job for close to 17 years and have been single the whole time. If I thought for a second that a $1000 suppressor was better than a $300 suppressor, I would buy it. But I don't.
I own two .22 muzzle cans and two integrally suppressed .22s. I have a TAC65, a Quest, a AAC Phoenix Rifle (integrally suppressed 10/22), and an AAC Phoenix Pistol (Integrally suppressed Ruger Mk.II). I can't tell the difference in the report from any of them.

If at any time you don't think the suppressor is quiet enough, shoot it wet.
That TAC65 wet is as close to silent as you are going to get with the current state of the art IMO. I shoot mine wet most of the time. I don't know if it really matters, but it seems logical to assume that shooting it wet will keep all the foreign material soft and easier to clean out. The fact that it makes it all the more quiet is icing on the cake.
Old October 27, 2008, 10:13 PM   #7
smee78

Wet VS Dry

Thanks to all for your insite, I think I'm going with the quest, I like the idea of putting a $200 tax on a piece of steel VS aluminum, plus the quest although a little heaver is a bit shorter. Can some one explain wet vs dry, I know one is dry and one is wet, but what is used to make the can wet? I have heard white grease, what else can be used and how do you use it?

Thanks from a noob,
Smee78
Old October 27, 2008, 11:34 PM   #8

A buddy of mine bought the TacInnov. can that is aluminum, but shorter than mine: the same length as the Quest. It sounds just as good as mine.
Someone feel free to correct me on this, but I think that they came out with a new baffle for those shorter suppressors that is just as effective as the older but longer suppressor ? I think I remember that.

Everybody gets caught up on this $200 stamp thing, but it is an artificial barrier created in the mind of people who haven't bought this stuff before. But, suit yourself, the Quest is a real nice can. I have one. I got the glossy black finish. I am seriously thinking about buying another one in the stainless finish. In fact, I might stop by a local store tomorrow and see if he has one in.

Wet means just what you think it means.
Spit in it. Put water in it. Put ultrasound jelly in it, put wirepulling lubricant in it, a commerical product sold for this purpose .................................... And the suppressor will be significantly quieter. Water is probably the most common medium. The difference is how long will whatever you put in it last. 10 shots, 20 shots................. I believe that in tests, Ultrasound stuff lasts the longest. It is usually put in the back end of the suppressor where you screw it on the gun. The amount is sort of experimental. If you put too much, it blows back all over you. But, you want enough that it works and lasts for awhile.
One warning: I have read on-line that you shouldn't use any kind of "wetting" medium in a centerfire rifle suppressor because of the pressure involved. With .22s, it is no problem. But it is messy. In my experience, even if it doesn't blow back on you, it makes the gun dirtier. But it makes a BIG and obvious difference in the sound. As I said before, if you are using any decent .22 suppressor wet, it is as close to silent as you are going to get.
I think this is where I originally read the tests on the various "wetting" agents: http://www.silencerresearch.com/
Old October 28, 2008, 11:34 AM   #9
smee78

444 (and everybody else), thank you so much for sharing your knowledge with a noob, I have really leared alot from this site and the the search menu and cant say thanks enough.

Thanks,
Old October 29, 2008, 04:59 PM   #10
SKM&P9

A noob question for those familiar. I bought the GSG-5 , which has a fake suppressor on it. If I wanted to put a real suppressor on it, what all is involved ? I believe the barrel would have to be threaded, what about the paperwork for the Class III license ?
Old October 30, 2008, 09:36 AM   #11
Joat

SKM&P9 - to suppress a gsg-5 you would have to have the barrel shortened and threaded (SBR tax stamp) and then you could add the suppressor of your choice (suppressor tax stamp) turning your gsg into a 2 stamp gun. The benefit of doing this is that the suppressor can be used on other firearms as the can is not "married" to that gun.

an alternate is to send the gun to gemtech and have them put an integral silencer on it. (1 tax stamp). benefit here is that you do not have to register it as a SBR. Negative is that the suppressor is forever a part of that gun (permanently attached).

Joat
Old October 31, 2008, 02:53 AM   #12
hknut

The Tac-65 is a good choice, just don't get the flamed one!

Walk softly and carry a big SIG.
Old November 7, 2008, 01:46 AM   #13
2ndchance

I've had my TAC-65 for 4 years and it's still going strong. It's a real bitch to take apart and clean (even with the tool). I just gave up on that.. I shoot it like crazy and soak it in Hoppe's for one day to clean it.
Old November 8, 2008, 11:22 PM   #14
smee78

Well its done, I ordered the Quest and my paper work is @ the sherrifs office now, well see how long this takes. Wish me luck
Old January 19, 2009, 08:43 PM   #15
smee78

Wow!

Well this sucks! After waiting for over 3 months! for Tac Inovations to ship my suppressor to my Dealer, they finally sent the dang thing but ended up sending the wrong suppressor to my dealer! So far I am not impressed!
Old January 19, 2009, 10:55 PM   #16

I hear you brother. Been there, done that.

I should post a thread someday on the various problems I have had buying NFA items. If I am not mistaken, there has been some kind of an issue with each and every one of them.

Just a couple:
I bought a suppressor from a dealer on-line. I waited a long time but finally they say they shipped it. Nothing comes. I tell my dealer about it. He says, let me try something just on a hunch: he calls a gun store in UTAH, that has the same name as his store in Nevada. Sure enough they sent it to that dealer. That dealer didn't know what it was and figured that eventually someone would call him and tell him what to do with it. So my dealer tells him to transfer it to him: that guy doesn't know what he is talking about. My dealer ends up filling out all the paperwork, sending it to the dealer in Utah for him to sign and send into ATF to transfer it to him. In summary, I waited for months on the original dealer to get the item from the manufacturer. Then I waited on the transfer from that dealer to my dealer. He sent it to the wrong dealer and several weeks passed before we figured out where it went. Then I waited for several more weeks before the Utah dealer figured out how to do the paperwork to send in so I could wait for ANOTHER dealer to dealer transfer after which I could then START my own transfer from dealer to me.

Another one. I was on vacation in Utah (maybe it has something to do with Utah). I stopped at a dealer whom I met on an online forum. He had a Tactical Innovations TAC 65 IN STOCK. I bought it, had all the paperwork straightened out to transfer it to my dealer in Neavda before I left the store. I went on with my vacation. Months go by. I am not one to call people and bug them about stuff like this. I realize the process is very slow, I have been through it numerous times but finally I call the dealer in Utah to find out what is going on. It seems that they sent in a bunch of forms to ATF, and THEY waited several months without hearing anything, so they called ATF to find out what the problem was. ATF informs them that their FFL is expired. Sure enough, it is, they didn't realize it but ATF just left their paperwork sitting there and made no effort to call them and tell them there was a problem. So now I had to wait on their license renewal, then for the transfer from them to my dealer so I could start my paperwork.

I have two suppressors waiting on paperwork at another dealer. I made an impulse buy after the election. They had them in stock so I figured this would be a snap. Well, it seems the FFL holder is out of the country and won't be back for a couple weeks.

The transfer before that, I bought an AOW shotgun from an individual online. He says he sent the paperwork to my dealer. My dealer says he didn't get it. They spend several weeks blaming each other for not getting the paperwork until I finally had to get nasty with the guy and tell him I don't give a damn who's fault it is, I demand that he send me a new set of paperwork to my house, overnight and I will ensure that my dealer gets it.

I could keep going. This is an unbelievable hassle and it is not the ATF's fault. It is the clowns that we have to deal with: the dealers and the manufacturers. Every problem I have had in my 20 some tranfers was caused by either a dealer or a manufacturer and NOT the ATF.

In closing let me just say that my first two suppressors took over TWO YEARS to actually take home.
Old January 20, 2009, 06:49 AM   #17
smee78

Wow,

And I thought I was just having bad luck,,,,,,,,,,I'll just sit here quietly and wait before more bad juju happens. Thanks for the story's, I dont feel quite so bad now. But i'm still not happy
Old January 20, 2009, 07:13 AM   #18

For those of you who have never purchased a suppressor before.....

This is the reason it is a GREAT idea to find a dealer that actually has the suppressor you want in stock at his/her store and buy it from them. Waiting on a manufacturer to ship the suppressor you want from the factory to your dealer is often a several month or possibly a year or more process. If a dealer has one in stock, this wait time is eliminated right from the get go.

Second, if you can find a dealer in your state that actually has the suppressor you want in stock, you may have just saved yourself six months or more of the process. Don't worry about the fact that that dealer might be a couple hours away by car, believe me, you will be happy you made the drive. However, if you can't find someone in your state that has the can you want, finding a dealer anywhere in the US that has the can you want in stock is the next best thing. Worst case is having your dealer order from the manufacturer.

This is an area of the whole NFA buying process that is often overlooked. People worry about the time required for their Form 4 to be processed, but that is often just the last step that you have to endure after spending months and months just getting to the point in the transaction where you can send in your form 4. I am not trying to discourage anyone from making this journey. In my opinion it is well worth it. The wait is painful but after you get the item you ordered in your hot little hands, the pain is forgotten and you will have it for the rest of your life (hopefully). It is just a good thing to be aware of how you can save time, and frustration in the process.
Old January 20, 2009, 08:03 AM   #19
PTK

Quote:
Waiting on a manufacturer to ship the suppressor you want from the factory to your dealer is often a several month or possibly a year or more process.

This is an area of the whole NFA buying process that is often overlooked.
True and true. I waited almost a full year from time of purchase (that is, money out of my hands and in the dealer's hand) to the time my Form 4 was submitted for one of my silencer. Still worth every minute of the wait, I love that Evo45.