The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old December 30, 2011, 12:25 PM   #1
kraigwy

Training (female) family members to shoot (SD)

I've been a firearms trainer for a long time, LE, Military, civilian and I feel I'm fairly good at it.

Having said that, like driving, I don't believe one can teach or provide training to his family members effectively. Like teaching daughters to drive. Dads/granddads just can't do it properly, be cause we have too many hang ups. We are too protective. I'm the type that if my granddaughter ran a stop sign I'd want to tear down the stupid sign for being there.

I have three, (wife, step daughter, granddaughter) I would like professionally trained, but I want them trained by a "stranger" but background in dealing with ladies. So I'd have to import the trainer.

Because of work, setters, 'n such, it wouldn't be practical to ship them off. Maybe the class could be opened to other ladies (though it has to be a small class).

I would insist no males and male egos be involved ( except for logistic, lining up the range, targets, lodging, etc etc. As to the class itself, I would only want the instructor and limited number of students). Other then logistics required by the instructor, I wouldn't be involve.

Wonder how much this would cost? Can it be done with the Grandma, Daughter, Granddaughter in the same class or would it be better to separate them? (I know this is hard to answer without knowing the people involved)

What would be the "number" of students the instructor would be willing to take on, Min and Max. I think 1 on 3 would be good, BUT???? How much time would the instuctor want?

Anyone have any ideals?

HINT HINT HINT
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 30, 2011, 12:31 PM   #2
jimbob86

Quote:
Like teaching daughters to drive. Dads/granddads just can't do it properly, be cause we have too many hang ups. We are too protective. I'm the type that if my granddaughter ran a stop sign I'd want to tear down the stupid sign for being there.
Different Strokes for Different Folks, I guess ..... I have no problem being objective with my kids, 4 daughters and son ...... If anything, I am too hard on The Boy.

Reality can kill them..... me, I'll just ask them very pointed questions, or holler, at the very most.......
Old December 30, 2011, 01:10 PM   #3
MTT TL

I'd be more inclined to include oafish untrained males with a strict well educated instructor. They can learn a lot through their mistakes.
Old December 30, 2011, 01:33 PM   #4
kraigwy

Ha Ha:

Guess what, the biggest problem you're gonna run into when you suggest training for your loved ones is WHY DO I NEED IT, GREAT FOR GRANDDAUGHTER AND DAUGHTER, BUT I'M OLD, WHY DO I NEED IT.

Ask me how I know that and who asked me that, someone near and dear to me who "knows better". Or I don't need it grandpa cause I have you.

Or Why can't you do it?? They act as if they would listen to me, we know that ain't happening.

Dern wemmons. Now for the sales plan.
Old December 30, 2011, 05:51 PM   #5
mete

Do some research - John Farnam's wife and another woman wrote a book about teaching women to shoot [that might be the title]. For those who don't know , women are different and respond better to women type training .
The best thing is to send them to the class. One of the old problems [with men] is the myth that a woman should never attempt to shoot anything bigger than a 22 !! I could introduce these idiots to some women who shoot 44 mags very well .
Old December 31, 2011, 01:06 AM   #6
Discern

The NRA has a what is called Women On Target which is designed to introduce females to firearms. Sometimes there may be a NRA Basic Pistol Course class which is for women only. How old is your granddaughter?
Old December 31, 2011, 01:18 AM   #7
Discern

I don't know of any NRA Instructor who feels that women should not shoot anything bigger than a .22. What NRA Instructors do preach is not moving to a firearm that encourages bad shooting habits - regardless of gender. Too much gun for a shooter is only going to produce bad habits and poor shooting form/techniques. It does not mean they will not eventually be able to shoot that firearm, but rather if it is too much gun for them at that time they need to wait to step up to that power level. I have witnessed numerous male shooters new to handguns develop a flinch by starting out with a centerfire handgun like a 9x19.
Old December 31, 2011, 01:27 AM   #8
jimbob86

kraigwy, the "Why should I learn this stuff/carry an icky gun?" question could be answered with a stack of news clippings of stories just like the one in the "Murder in SC" thread, and the one in the Lawdog post I linked in that thread ...... this is the Age of Information, my friend: It would not take very many hours to track down a dozen more stories very similar to those two and print them out. Those women were real people, and died horrible deaths because they lacked the skills, mindset and hardware to protect themselves when they were the only ones who could.
Old December 31, 2011, 01:30 AM   #9
kraigwy

This post was a fishing expedition and it worked.

I know how to coach, I know how to train people, including women. Been doing it for over 35 years, that isn't what I want.

I believe a stranger would be less subjective in dealing with my girls. I want the best I can find who specializes in instructing ladies.

I wanted a lady instructor who actually understand how to "get to" women.

In short, I can teach them to shoot, I want someone to teach them how to live. There is much more to it then "double tap, scan, and double tap".

I'm too old for "love me long time", but I'm not too old to want my girls to "live long time".
Old December 31, 2011, 01:40 AM   #10
kraigwy

I found who and what I want,

Can we close this thread before it gets out of hand.

Last edited by Mal H; December 31, 2011 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Deleted quoted material from a deleted post
Old December 31, 2011, 06:09 AM   #11
PADefenseTrainer

I personally have trained female friends. But so far no family (my family is not "gun people")

Looking back, I think it was a matter of trust. They trust me, so I can teach them. They don't trust "some guy" so they wouldn't approach a stranger for instruction.

But I have to admit, I typically do not get that emotional.

Quote:
I'd want to tear down the stupid sign for being there.
"Just the facts" I suppose.

".. a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen..." - Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. App.181)
Old December 31, 2011, 12:40 PM   #12
Mal H
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigwy, the OP
Can we close this thread before it gets out of hand.
Yes ...
Closed Thread