The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old October 13, 2012, 06:03 PM   #1
Colonel Custer

Looking at a spanish 7mm mauser, any sugestions?

The price is $99 + tx. I've read some articles similar to this but would prefer some actual owner insight.

Well I guess I will sleep with a chainsaw next to my bed. Not the same as a gun but I figure the sound of it revving up will be as effective as a pump shot gun being cycled.
Old October 13, 2012, 06:56 PM   #2
LarryNTX

Yes.
Buy it.
Old October 13, 2012, 06:57 PM   #3
emcon5

My suggestion is to elaborate.

You essentially asked:
Quote:
I am looking at a 6 cylinder Chevy, I've read some articles similar to this but would prefer some actual owner insight.
What model, what condition, what markings, rifle or carbine, original or bubbacized, etc.
Old October 13, 2012, 07:14 PM   #4
LarryNTX

I don't care if the rifle has four flat tires and a busted radiator, for $99, buy it.
Old October 13, 2012, 07:29 PM   #5
VA Gent

Yes sir. emcon5 is giving some sound advice. I have a $125.00 1910 Mexican Revolution specimen. Listen and digest everything before purchasing. Might be for a few dollars more you'll find one that can make you much happier. That goes for me also.
Old October 13, 2012, 07:45 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

Not easy to make suggestions on so little info. Those Spanish Mausers range from good condition with decent barrels to absolute junk and "sewer pipe" barrels. If the gun is in decent condtion, it is well worth $99.

But if the intent is just to buy something cheap and "fix it up", best forget about it. "Fixing up" a junker is never a good idea and tends to be a "black hole" for money.

Jim
Old October 13, 2012, 08:07 PM   #7
Hawg

I'd say it depends on how it shoots. I had a pristine one in full military dress that looked as if it had never been issued. It shot a good four feet to the left at 50 yards. I have one now that has been bubbarized and is ugly as homemade sin but it makes a small tight group at 100 yards.
Old October 14, 2012, 09:24 AM   #8
TX Hunter

Id get it, $100 If you decide to keep it good, if you decide to sell down the road you will get your money back plus some. Look at it as an investment.
Old October 16, 2012, 06:45 PM   #9
Colonel Custer

A little more Info because I bought it

Its a 1927 Fabrique de Armas made in Oviedo the fore stock has been cut back and it has no cleaning rod. The barrel is in fair shape (shootable, but not pristine) Going to have the headspace checked thursday. I don't have a guage for this yet, but for a $100 I'll risk it and slap it on a wall if nothing else. I checked the ammo and around here it runs $35 a box. So I will look for a cheaper source of ammo.

Well I guess I will sleep with a chainsaw next to my bed. Not the same as a gun but I figure the sound of it revving up will be as effective as a pump shot gun being cycled.
Old October 16, 2012, 06:50 PM   #10
Colonel Custer

So any first hand experience with 7mm Mausers!

I have a 7.65x53 Argentine Mauser
8mm 24/47 Yugo.
What if antthing can I expect accuracy, kick ?

Old October 16, 2012, 07:43 PM   #11
roberto mervicini

hello Colonel Custer,
100 $ is a bargain, 7x57 is a nice cartridge, smooth to shoot and generally accurate, with 162 or 175 grain bullets deadly for all north american species.
Have a sporter made on 98 mauser action.
Few years a go, I also bought a spanish mauser for $100 from a game warden, it is a .308 nato conversion of Oviedo with logo of Guardia Civil, the previous owner
removed the rear sights and drill and tap for scope base, I close the opening on the upper foreharm and set it up with a peep sights and it turn out very nice groups.
Buy it no regrets!!!
Old October 16, 2012, 11:20 PM   #12
emcon5

Is it a rifle, or a carbine?

Rifle: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=311861046

Carbine: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=311783409

Well, technically the Carbine is a "short rifle", there was a carbine model that was even shorter.

Accuracy could be good, really depending on the bore. It should probably kick a little less than your 24/47, (same pressure, lighter bullet), but it could also depend on the weight difference between the two, and as was mentioned, 7X57 will kill pretty much any game animal in North America.

Samco has dirt-cheap surplus ammo listed currently, no experience with it, and it is corrosive, (but this is a non issue with proper cleaning). For commercial stuff, Privi Partisan is probably the best bang for the buck, and if you reload, the brass is excellent.

For $100, you really can't lose.
Old October 17, 2012, 10:36 AM   #13
Scorch

Quote:
Its a 1927 Fabrique de Armas made in Oviedo
All Oviedo Mauser rifles are 1893 or 1895 pattern rifles. I have owned several over the years, and they are OK rifles. If you shoot milsurp ammo, be sure to clean it well after each session. Recoil is relatively mild.

Make sure you wear eye protection when shooting an 1893 with milsurp ammo, pierced primers and split necks are a fact of life and the 93 action has no gas shielding like the 98 does, it relies on a vent at the breech to relieve any gases in the breech area.
Old November 9, 2012, 12:23 AM   #14
tahoe2

$99/buy it

I have two Spanish Oviedo mausers in 7x57, a 1931 long rifle and a 1932 carbine sporter,
I handload for both and keep the pressures mild, around 30-30 class, 150grn and 160grn bullets at 2500 and 2400 fps respectively.
They are decently accurate, both with original military sights and 3"-4" @ 100 yards.
Old November 10, 2012, 07:32 AM   #15
eastbank

i would not buy a spanish or mexican 93-95 mauser cut down with a so-so bore for 99.00, but i like my military rifles in full dress. eastbank.
Old November 12, 2012, 07:53 PM   #16
sc928porsche

The action is worth it. If you convert, keep new cartridge pressure in mind. 93 and 95 are small ring mausers. I converted one in 25-06, but only after getting the action magnafluxed and then x-rayed. Following action work (sleave rear, squaring lugs, bolt face, etc.) it was re tempered. Barrel is a 26" lilja, and stock is a thumbhole richards microfit that is pillar and action bedded. Used a timmeny trigger with safety. I spent a lot of time and $ on it, but in the end, it was worth every penny.
Old December 4, 2012, 02:17 AM   #17
Ignition Override

Just one.
Have you watched "iraqiveteran8888" hit gongs (with original iron sights) from 400 yards on his Youtube channel?

That must take quite a while just to learn to use those Mauser sights.
Old December 4, 2012, 05:09 PM   #18
DennisCA

As long it's in the original cal, don't get one that's been converted to Nato cal (7.62X51). I bought one from SAMCO a while back, had nothing but trouble with it. Finally (after the 3rd one they sent me) I returned it for my money back.
Old December 5, 2012, 03:32 AM   #19
warningshot

Throwing down 100 George Washingtons on a Milsurp in KY is a good chuck of money. Naw, I'd pass, not until we get more info on condition.