The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 2, 2013, 05:51 PM   #1
Joe_Pike

Finally, A Single Action Revolver

Well, I have been tossing around the idea of a SA wheelgun for quite a while, even asking a few questions here. I originally had decided on a Ruger Vaquero in .357 since I have a Marlin 1894C in .357. But, work slowed down and I didn't want to spend the money, so, I quit looking.

Anyway, I decided that maybe I would trade something that I had and didn't shoot for something in a SA. I decided on trading the Sig P238 that I had never shot. It was an early one without night sights that had only one magazine that I paid $409 for. So, after lunch I stopped by the LGS and eyed a new Uberti Cimarron Model P in .45 Colt. It wasn't a .357, but I somehow felt that my first SA in a larger caliber should be a .45 Colt. They had it marked at $479. I asked what they could do on a trade and after a bit he said, "How about we do a straight up trade?" Well, I am now the owner of the Uberti Cimarron Model P in .45 Colt.
Old May 2, 2013, 06:50 PM   #2
Nathan

Good job! You will enjoy the Uberti more. I hope you got a cool one!

45 Colt is the better SA round.
Old May 2, 2013, 06:57 PM   #3
GeauxTide

Yep, the 45 is a much better all around cartridge. And, it'll pull you in the right direction - reloading.
Old May 2, 2013, 06:57 PM   #4
PetahW

Ya know, it's funny, how some folks look at gun values...........

Some don't realize that any gun isn't worth a darn thing, until you can find someone who wants it, and who''l also pay you for it.

In you case, you got a spanky new .45 hogleg w/o breaking a sweat !

Isn't it sweet, to have a plan come together ?

Now - How 'bout some pics of yer new trophy ?

Old May 2, 2013, 07:00 PM   #5
Hawg

Cool beans! The only thing better than .45 Colt is 44-40. What barrel length?
Old May 2, 2013, 07:16 PM   #6
savit260

Remember that, unlike the New Model Rugers, you need to keep an empty chamber under the hammer if you're going to carry it.
Old May 2, 2013, 09:29 PM   #7
Joe_Pike

It has a 4.75" barrel and a color case hardened frame. Nice looking gun over all.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0377.jpg (170.4 KB, 427 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0374.jpg (156.4 KB, 430 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0378.jpg (137.7 KB, 429 views)
Old May 2, 2013, 09:38 PM   #8
Bob Wright

I have the same model in .44 Special. I'm developing a taste for single actions.

Bob Wright
Old May 2, 2013, 10:00 PM   #9
9mmfan

Good on you. I have one with the 5 1/2" barrel and I absolutely love it. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine.
Old May 3, 2013, 04:33 AM   #10
Hawg

Looking good. I have a 5 1/2" 44-40 on a black powder frame.
Old May 3, 2013, 06:07 AM   #11
shafter

I'd take the hog leg over a Sig any old day. Now, go find yourself a Lee reloading press and start saving some serious money on ammo.

Quote:
I have the same model in .44 Special. I'm developing a taste for single actions.

Bob Wright
Are you sure you aren't in the advanced stages of developing a taste for them?
Old May 3, 2013, 08:44 AM   #12
PetahW

I'm fairly sure Bob's got terminal single-action-gun-arreah, like more than a few of us.......... .

Old May 3, 2013, 10:52 AM   #13
Bob Wright

Quote:
I'm fairly sure Bob's got terminal single-action-gun-arreah, like more than a few of us.......... .
Yeah, I've had it for a few years now. Can't seem to shake it.

It's one of those things like "you can't be too rich or too thin", you can't have too many single actions.

Bob Wright
Old May 3, 2013, 12:14 PM   #14
rclark

Congrats! You are on your way! Nothing better than a SA .45 Colt especially if you reload.... The .44 Special cartridge comes very close in SA... but just doesn't quite make the top grade . It will always be the 'undersized' brother to the .45 Colt in my opinion. Only DA revolver I now own is a .44Spec Bulldog due to size for CC. My semi-autos (22s) don't get shot much. But the SA collection continues to grow (just picked up a .45 Colt Bisley on Saturday) and they get used a lot..... Conclusion: Ready for this? Be VERY careful.... This could be the start of a serious addiction. My addiction started as a teenager and I am now 48 and no sign of getting over it. Beware.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old May 3, 2013, 09:22 PM   #15
newfrontier45

I have to disagree, in these platforms, the .44Spl has it all over the .45Colt. The big .45 case is impressive to look at but is just a lot of wasted space at this pressure level (~22,000psi). The .44Spl launches a bullet of comparable weight to similar velocities with 20% less powder. On the top end, it beats the .45Colt by at least 100fps. The .45Colt is definitely more popular but objectively speaking, the .44Spl is really the better cartridge for the platform and is not plagued by the .45's ambiguous cartridge/chamber/throat dimensions.
Old May 4, 2013, 09:04 AM   #16
Bob Wright

In the same sized revolver, that is, a Colt Single Action or sixgun of similar size, the .44 Special has a slight advantage in having thicker cylinder walls.

But in the big Blackhawk MR44 frame, the .45 Colt can be loaded to near, or even with, .44 Magnum performance. It really shines with 300~350 gr. bullets.

Bob Wright
Old May 4, 2013, 09:04 AM   #17
rclark

Don't get me wrong I like both the .44 Special and the .45 Colt. I tend to agree that the .44 Special is 'perfect' for the medium frame platform and Ruger seems more consistent on throat size in the .429 caliber and you can load the .44 Special to its potential.... But the .45 Colt does very well in the platform as well and makes bigger holes with heavier bullets. Take the latest handloader (#283) article on Black Bear hunting with the .45 Colt medium platform flattop by Brian Pearce. The 285g bullets pushed to 1050fps did very well on the Blackbear and didn't have to get up to sceaming velocities to do it either as a .44Mag or a hot .44 Special at 1200fps+. As Brian puts it "reduced recoil, less muzzle blast and noise, less pressure, notably better pentration and housed in a more compact sixgun". Be that it may, I do like both and shoot both a lot, but just prefer and like more the .45 Colt and it does all I want/need a handgun cartridge to do . Whether in the medium platform or the large platform. Comes down to personal preference...
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.

Last edited by rclark; May 4, 2013 at 09:10 AM.
Old May 4, 2013, 09:12 AM   #18
redrick

I think you made a good trade.
Old May 6, 2013, 02:16 PM   #19
Colt46

I love the .45 for one reason

Outdoors those bullets let you know where you are hitting. You don't always get that with the lesser calibers.
Old May 8, 2013, 11:42 AM   #20
gak

Another Cimarron P owner - (in .44 Sp.) Good choice!
Old May 8, 2013, 06:49 PM   #21
Bill Akins

Congrats on getting your Uberti. It's a good quality single action and you will enjoy it.

I can't remember right now what the name of the gunshop was, but it was within this past year, and he also had them on gunbroker. He was (and may be still) selling Uberti single actions "MILLENNIUM" finish (matte black) in both .45 colt and .357 magnum. He had ordered them in bulk in both calibers and was selling them for $250.00 each. Which was a steal of a deal for brand new (or even used for that matter). I ordered two of them in .45 Colt and he even was nice enough to agree to provide my two with consecutive serial numbers. I told my cousin about it and he as well as several other friends I told about it also bought two each with consecutive serial numbers. You couldn't beat the quality at that price even though I'm not real nuts about the matte black millennium finish.

They have a supposed "safety" lock out where the cylinder pin can be positioned so that it precludes the hammer from going fully forward until you unlock and pull the cylinder pin forward to its normal position. I guess that system is better than no safety at all, and it would take a pretty hard drop blow on the hammer to break the spring loaded pin holding the cylinder pin in position so the hammer could go forward for an accidental discharge, but I don't use it unless I'm storing the revolver (then I use it) and still out of habit (from the Colt I used to have) just load five and keep the chamber under the hammer empty. Plus if you needed to use the revolver quickly, that cylinder pin safety would take too much time to disengage. But I guess it would be good to have if someone didn't have a safe and had kids around because if a young kid got ahold of it and didn't know how to disengage it, he couldn't shoot it. Otherwise, although it works, it's time consuming to disengage and pretty silly for a "safety". I'd call it more of a "child prevention lock out" moreso than a "safety".

Also without using that cylinder pin safety, with the Uberti you can also pull the hammer back less than 1/4 of an inch and it will stay retracted in that position, but a hard drop blow on the hammer could overcome that and discharge it. So there's no real safety other than to load five rounds and keep the chamber under the hammer empty.

Anybody here remember what the name of that gun shop was and if he is still selling them for that price? That was a heck of a deal for anyone who wanted an Uberti single action in .45 colt or .357.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; May 8, 2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old May 8, 2013, 07:04 PM   #22
Crunchy Frog

Ray Tanner was selling the Uberti Hombre for $250 each but those have been gone for some time. A friend of mine started shooting cowboy about three years ago and I steered him to Tanner's ad on Gunbroker; he bought a pair in .45 Colt. He's been through three rifles and three or four shotguns but he's still shooting the same revolvers. He broke a flat spring in one, replaced it in about 30 minutes.

His had the "two position" base pin that could be pushed back to act as a hammer block. Once in a match he accidentally engaged the "safety" and took five pistol misses. He replaced them with standard base pins.

If I had the extra cash I would have bought a couple of these revolvers as loaners. Oh, well.
Old May 8, 2013, 07:10 PM   #23
Hawg

The first time I got a click instead of a bang I ground the cylinder pin on mine down to where it can't engage. It looks like its supposed to now.

Old May 8, 2013, 07:13 PM   #24
Bill Akins

Thanks Crunchy Frog for recalling my memory on that. Ray Tanner, that's him, of Tanners Gun And Sports Center, in Jamison Pennsylvania. You helped me remember. The guns were called the Uberti "hombre" and were in the "millenium" finish which was a matte black.

Ray was very nice and he was happy to sell me, my cousin and several of my friends his Uberti's with consecutive serial numbers. I don't shoot them as much as I shoot my S&W 1917's but I couldn't pass on a deal like that on two in .45 colt with consecutive serial numbers to boot. Sorry you missed out on getting in on that deal Crunchy Frog.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".
Old May 10, 2013, 03:37 PM   #25
Crunchy Frog

I already had a pair of Rugers when I first heard about the deal on the Hombres so I'm good. Those were good deals while they lasted, for sure.