The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 27, 2001, 10:23 AM   #1
RazorsEdge

Body Armor on Air Flights

Now that the feds have banned all edged device from airplanes. It seems to me that it is still a good idea to have some kind of gear that helps YOU defend against a blade.

I'm thinking of a leather glove reinfoced with plastic for your "guard" hand, or something blade proof that wraps around your left forecarm.

Being strictly defensive, should be legal.
Old September 27, 2001, 01:00 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

What difference does the ban make? If you're not a knife fighter, or have no training, you're in deep doodoo, regardless. The ban won't keep plastic knives off planes and it doesn't apply to the streets where there is far more liklihood of a hostile encounter.

Your protective-glove idea is workable, if you carry it in some sort of belt-pouch or fanny-pack, I guess...You'd look kinda funny, wearing gloves in summertime.

Art
Old September 27, 2001, 02:43 PM   #3
armedbutnotdangerous

US Cavalry catalog carries Kevlar reinforced gloves and arm sleeves designed for police to defeat knife attacks.

sleeves http://www.uscav.com/shop/uscitemdet...k_code=WA15371

gloves http://www.uscav.com/shop/uscitemdet...k_code=WA15368

Would probably work for what you're thinking.

Steve.
Old September 27, 2001, 05:07 PM   #4
RazorsEdge

Thanks! I'm just thinking that if that if highly traineg guys can alter history with boox cutters, it might be nice to have some way to bloxk their strikes.
Old September 28, 2001, 06:43 AM   #5
Battlespace

I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but have thought the seat cushion might do for a shield against a knife attack. It comes up easily, has a strap on the back (bottom) to hold on to and is thick enough to prevent a box cutter from penetrating. If using it you would have to press the attack or the BG would eventually cut it to shreds but it might give you a few seconds to get him disarmed.
Old September 28, 2001, 04:16 PM   #6
KPS

JMO, but I don't think after the hijacking incident that any more people will try to hijack with knives or boxcutters.With the way Americans are banning together, I think most every passenger would attack the hijackers at once and beat the tar out of them.
Old September 29, 2001, 07:56 AM   #7
Glock-o-matic

Quote:
I think most every passenger would attack the hijackers
Sadly, most Americans are sheep and proud of it. You know, the same ones who think that disarming themselves will somehow "stop terrorism."
Old October 2, 2001, 05:04 PM   #8
GunFool

Sadly, I think the Philadelphia flight proved this..where, what, only 5 or more passengers out of 44 had the guts to die fighting?
Old October 2, 2001, 08:35 PM   #9
Brian Killing Tangos

I don't think tangos are going to use planes again, but if they do I'm sure they will have those boxcutters shoved sideways up their butts by the crew, the passengers and the Air Marshall!
Old October 2, 2001, 09:12 PM   #10
Double Naught Spy

It was my understanding that body armor for civilians is not allowed in some states or areas. Is that correct?

I am not so much worried about what happens on the plane as when I am on the ground. After reading about businessmen having briefcases fortified with body armor panels, I had an idea.
When I have traveled by car, I often slip the back panel of my Level IIIa vest into my Lands End canvas briefcase/satchel. It fits just about right and nobody knows it is there. Of course it is not the same as wearing body armor, but can be held up as a shield anyway (and not for knives). I have not traveled out of state with it because I read somewhere that not all states permit that sort of armor. Any ideas on where I could find out?