The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 16, 2014, 12:02 PM   #1
mrmikeypoo

3N38 for 9mm Luger

I found a pound of VV 3N38 kinda local and bought it. However, the only load data that I have found for 9mm Luger is with 147gn Hornady xtp bullets. I have not been able to find those particular bullets anywhere. ( just my luck) Am I missing ant other load data somewhere for this powder? Thanks all.
Old June 16, 2014, 04:07 PM   #2
Nick_C_S

You're running into this issue because 3N38 is a slow powder; bordering on magnum only territory.

What the lack of readily available load data is telling you, is that it's really not well suited for 9mm. It's too slow for anything other than high-end wide-open-throttle heavy bullets.

I don't load with 3N38. Never have.

You can use the data you found as a basic guideline for other 147g bullets. The good news is that the powder's burn rate is so slow as to it being nearly impossible to create an over-pressure situation simply by applying the most rudimentary rules of load work-ups. . . And that is to start low and work up. It's not like you're dealing with a steep pressure curve, fast powder.

Nowdays, we load with what we have. Do you have anything faster? If so, it would most likely be a better choice than 3N38.
Old June 16, 2014, 04:23 PM   #3
WESHOOT2

I would only note if you stuff a whole bunch of 3N38 in a 9x19 case your bullets that weight 115g or 124g will launch very very fast.
Old June 16, 2014, 05:04 PM   #4
mrmikeypoo

Thanks Nick. Yup, unfortunately that's all I have to load with.
Weshoot, load data is blazingly fast with the 147gn so I won't be trying any lighter bullets.
I may try trading this off to someone who is loading Magnum rounds for something better suited for me. I'm not using this for anything other than general purpose rounds and they are really fast.
Thanks
Old June 16, 2014, 05:16 PM   #5
WESHOOT2

3N38 is a veryhighperformance powder intended for 38 Super-class cartridges; makes a lot of gas for driving compensators.
Good stuff.
Old June 17, 2014, 11:53 PM   #6
skizzums

you can use any 147gr bullet, almost every lead or plated company sells a 147gr projectile