The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 13, 2014, 01:22 PM   #1
TomADC

I hate little tiny parts!

Replaced the rear sight blade on my S&W 28 with a while outline one, this thing has a little coil spring and a tiny metal plunger to act as a stop when you adjust the sight, that spring and plunger just about did me in, fat finger syndrome!
Got it changed finally, now off to the range to do a zero.
BTW I had to buy a new spring and plunger the old one was stacked in place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6au83u4A78
Old March 13, 2014, 01:35 PM   #2
DannyB1954

Short arms can be a problem after 50. Hard to get a focus.
Old March 13, 2014, 01:36 PM   #3
TomADC

[QUOTE]Short arms can be a problem after 50. Hard to get a focus.]/QUOTE]

I understand try it at 72!!
Old March 13, 2014, 02:39 PM   #4
SIGSHR

Some good magnets come in handy. And plenty of good lighting.
Old March 13, 2014, 04:15 PM   #5
feets

Magnifiers work great. If you do much small work look into getting one of those desk mounted lighted magnifiers. I find them handy and I've barely passed 40.
Old March 13, 2014, 04:24 PM   #6
jglsprings

You think putting it back together is hard, try finding it when it jumps into the carpet or off the concrete and under the bench.

Commas save lives...
Old March 13, 2014, 05:19 PM   #7
357 Python

Years ago the rear sight blade broke on my 28 and I replaced it with the White Outline rear sight assembly. The gunshop I bought it from did the replacement in a matter of minutes. It was more costly than just the blade but it made up for it in less labor cost. Now put some liquid paper on the front sight and it shows up better in low light situations.
Old March 14, 2014, 12:43 AM   #8
FrankenMauser

I don't mind tiny parts. They're easy to capture on disassembly, or control with tweezers/forceps during assembly.
It's ridiculously long springs that I hate.
Have you ever tried to put the main spring and firing pin springs back in a Remington 241? You need 2 vises, 5 eyes, 9 and a half punches, and 6 sets of hands.
Old March 14, 2014, 11:08 AM   #9
bedbugbilly

jglsprings . . . as I get older, I am of the opinion that the area under a bench ought to be sloped so that everything that "jumps" off the bench rolls down into a "collecting trough"! I don't know how many times, even though I'm careful, I've had to ask my wife to come and help me look for a screw, etc. Just one of the many reasons I love her . . .
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old March 14, 2014, 11:36 AM   #10
TomADC

I put a sheet on the table I was working on and sure enough the spring and plunger went flying I saw the spring close to the edge of the table so I'm down on hands and knees looking for it I even run a big magnet I have on a rod to find and zippo nothing, I sit back down not a happy camper and see the plunger at the other edge of the sheet. I'm much more careful now and get it together without any further problems.
I like the idea of sloping the floor to a collect area.
Old March 14, 2014, 12:13 PM   #11
Mike Irwin
Staff

"You think putting it back together is hard, try finding it when it jumps into the carpet or off the concrete and under the bench."

I keep a rather powerful rare earth magnet in my shop for situations exactly like that.

I've never failed to retrieve a screw or spring that I've dropped.

If they fly, however, all bets are off.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 14, 2014, 12:40 PM   #12
TomADC

Now I just hope I've stacked the nut side enough so it doesn't come apart when I shoot it. Looks good to the mark 1 eyeball.
Old March 14, 2014, 12:59 PM   #13
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Now I just hope I've stacked the nut side enough so it doesn't come apart when I shoot it."

Yeah...

You know you didn't!

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 14, 2014, 01:54 PM   #14
Old Stony

We used to put those S&W sight springs and plungers in while holding the sight in a plastic bag. Once you launch that little plunger, you might just as well forget it.
Old March 14, 2014, 02:47 PM   #15
SIGSHR

I plan to build a work surface-a box of sorts-with sides 6" high and covered with white contact paper. And perhaps with a clear plastic cover.
Old March 14, 2014, 03:55 PM   #16
TomADC

Mike thats just plain evil!!
O.S. that's a good idea, next time!!
Old March 14, 2014, 07:32 PM   #17
Carmady

"Replaced the rear sight blade on my S&W 28 with a white outline one, this thing has a little coil spring..."

As soon as I read the title I knew what this thread was about. The Millet spring.

Once I spoke on the phone with a gunsmith and he said, "You better bring it in. There's this little tiny spring in there, ain't no bigger than a fart..."
Old March 14, 2014, 08:30 PM   #18
James K
Member In Memoriam

The reason the job usually costs more than the blade is that the windage screw is staked and it is nearly impossible to remove it without breaking it off. If anyone manages to not break it, then make sure it is staked properly after assembling.

Jim
Old March 15, 2014, 11:05 AM   #19
TomADC

James correct the proper way to remove the screw and nut is turn CCW until you break it, the new blade comes with a nut and screw.