The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old December 15, 2009, 11:37 AM   #1
300magman

Quality .22lr Ammo ?

Ammunition (especially anything other than basic economy stuff) is extremely hard to get ahold of in my part of the world, I have to order it several months in advance and hope that it might be available...often times its not.

For you 22lr guys out there, what are some good brands of competition worthy ammo that I could ask my local gun shop to order in. I'd prefer to give him about 6 choices and hope that he could get 4 of them so I can try a variety in whatever 22 rifle I am using to compete.
I would prefer ammo that is less than $10 for a box of 50 (especially for silhouette) but if its truely a vast improvement I could try some of the $15 for 50 stuff when firing for groups.

Any suggestions welcome.
Old December 15, 2009, 04:27 PM   #2
shooterer

Wolf

I shoot Wolf Match Target it runs 4.50 a box at Champions Shooter Supply. I hear that the Wolf Match Extra is better at $6.50 a box, but at this point the Match Target and my CLE upper can out shoot my hold.

Jim

(I hope to have to but the Extra soon )
Old December 15, 2009, 04:35 PM   #3
.300 Weatherby Mag

Federal Gold Metal Target #711B
Federal Gold Metal Target #719
CCI Green Tag
RWS Match
Eley Club
Old December 15, 2009, 05:00 PM   #4
Casimer

SK Jagd, which runs from about $4.50 to $6.50 depending on the grade and velocity.

http://www.championshooters.com/SkJagd.html
Old December 16, 2009, 06:57 AM   #5
darkgael

match ammo

I have used Federal 711B for years as my practice ammo when shooting .22 prone rifle. For match ammo I use the Federal 922A.
I have been meaning to try both the Wolf and the Jagd....not yet.
Pete
Old December 17, 2009, 08:59 AM   #6
Bart B.

Eley Tenex and RWS R50 and R100 seem to be the rage with top smallbore competitors on this planet. They want something that'll shoot all day long inside 1/4th inch at 50 yards/meters and 3/4ths inch at 100 yards.

No other ammo has this on-going track record. Federal made some stuff that equalled it in the early 1990's, but when their powder supplier raised prices out of sight, Federal quit making that great ammo. Occasionally, rare lots of Lapua or Fiocci ammo that occasionally sneaks out. The other really great stuff was the Russian ammo that was finally allowed to be imported into the USA in the early 1990's. Olimp and Temp were what the Soviet Bloc folks used winning gold medals and setting so many records. But the Russian Mafia took over the plant in Klimovsk (near Moscow), shut down the rimfire production lines a few years later and have made only AK47 ammo since.

What you use depends on how far you'll accept missing your aiming point as far as ammo's concerned. The closer, the better, the costlier, the happier..... but such is life.
Old December 17, 2009, 04:58 PM   #7
darkgael

so..

Quote:
Federal made some stuff that equalled it in the early 1990's, but when their powder supplier raised prices out of sight, Federal quit making that great ammo.
So that's what happened....I had wondered.
Pete
Old January 29, 2010, 03:22 PM   #8
NoSecondBest

I've won a lot of shoots with Ely Standard and Federal Gold Metal Target. I used to order samples from a place called Moe's Competitive Shooting Supply. Don't know if they're still around or not but you could get a box of everything to try.
Old January 30, 2010, 01:00 AM   #9
T. O'Heir

You have to try a box of as many brands as you can to find the ammo your rifle shoots best. The price of said ammo means nothing.
If your local gun shop is telling you he can't get multiple brands it usually means he doesn't get terms from his suppliers. There should be no reason for him to not be able to get you whatever you want. Especially when you pay up front. That's a normal thing when ordering anything. Order a box of as many brands as possible. Six boxes isn't enough to make it worthwhile though. Six to 10 bricks will be.
Talk to your shooting buddies about a group order. Ten shooters buying 10 bricks(500 rounds per brick. 10 50 round boxes per brick) of different brands means each one gets a brick of assorted brand ammo.
Failing that, is mail ordering an option? Shipping will hurt(not so much if 10 guys are helping), but you can mail order just about anything.
Old February 5, 2010, 11:07 PM   #10
range19

22 ammo

I just ordered from Cabelas. It took 2 weeks or so to get but the price was alright and they had a better selection than the local shop.
Old February 6, 2010, 05:38 AM   #11
darkgael

and?

Good. What did you get?

Pete
Old March 1, 2010, 05:53 AM   #12
Hommbs

For the price Wolf Match Target and the SK Standard are great if your rifle likes tham. Champion Shooters has them both for $415 if you get by the 10 brick case.
Old March 1, 2010, 09:05 AM   #13
celtgun

Federal 711, how is it?

Have a brick of Federal 711, aquired in trade. Anyone shot any?
Old March 1, 2010, 07:32 PM   #14
darkgael

Fed. 711 shoots as well out of my H-S Victor as any of the expensive stuff that I tried (Eley, Lapua, RWS, Fiocchi, etc.)
Go figure. The gun likes it.
Pete
Old March 1, 2010, 07:40 PM   #15
fisherman66

CCI MiniMags shoot very well in my rifle. I have just stuck with those. I bought a bulk pack of Federal that shoots terrible. My gun just hates those things.
Old March 2, 2010, 02:50 AM   #16
Mike38

CCI Standard Velocity works well, and are priced about half what the CCI Green Tag are, and you’re getting the exact same thing, if you get lucky. Back when I shot Conventional and Standard Pistol competitively, a High Master shooter told me a little secret. He actually was invited on a plant tour where CCI .22lr ammo was made. When setting up the loading line for the higher end CCI ammo, they strived for Green Tag quality. When they got to the quality level of Green Tag, it got labeled as such. When they got done with the amount of Green Tag needed for the run, they just left the line running, and labeled it as Standard Velocity (blue label). So what you are buying labeled and priced as Standard Velocity, is actually Green Tag over run, or made immediately after the Green Tag run was done.

Now it could be a crap shoot. The S.V. you buy might be just before it got to G.T. quality, which is still good ammo. Or, the S.V. you buy could be immediately after the G.T. run was done, and it is in fact every bit as good as G.T. This High Master shooter knew when to buy the S.V. stuff right after the G.T. run because he was friends with the guy at CCI that gave him the tour. He bought it by the trunk load right from the factory. So he was paying the lower price for the good stuff.

I could never tell the difference between Green Tag and Standard Velocity, so I quit wasting my money on Green Tag.
Old March 23, 2010, 01:31 PM   #17
Barbicatter

My husband and I recently tried several different 22 LR to find the one that grouped the best for our rifles. These are the ammos we tried.

Wolf Match Target $5.79 bx 50
Wolf Match Extra $7.99 bx 50
SK Standard Plus $5.49 bx 50
Eley Match $12.99 bx 50
Eley Sport $3.19 bx 50
Fiocchi Match Training $5.59 bx 50
Dynamite Nobel Target Rifle $7.00 bx 50
Federal Prem Gold Medal $10.39 bx 50

I was forunate that my Savage likes cheaper stuff Fiocchi Matching Training and SK Standard Plus. My husbands Marlin liked the more expensive ammo Dynamite Nobel Target Rifle and Eley Match.
Old March 23, 2010, 04:15 PM   #18
Vt.birdhunter

Best thing you can do is try as many as you can for the guns you want to shoot them from. My CZ 452 shoots bulk pack wally world federal champions nearly as tight as it shoots Eley and RWS.

Aguila shoots great out of everything I have and is around $30 a brick of 500 at CTD. They offer match pistol, match rifle, target and a few other offerings. They smell funny but for the price, tough to beat.
Old April 6, 2010, 05:43 PM   #19
skiingbear

cci s v

CCI standard velocity works well for me at less than $30.00, per carton, (brick).
Old April 6, 2010, 08:29 PM   #20
bobelk99

For accuracy, I prefer Eley Match, regardless of price.
Old May 3, 2010, 07:21 AM   #21
Seath45

thanks for sharing this all with us