The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old July 13, 2009, 06:40 PM   #1
oldkim

Another Good Old Shooting Practice in Seattle area - August 30th

Good Old Shooting Practice

What - Do the things you can't do at a normal range:
Draw from your holster
Shoot on the move
Engage multiple targets
Rapid Fire and more.

This is not a competition. This is solely practice for those that do choose to carry (openly or concealed).

When:Sunday, August 30th
Time: 9:45am - 2 pm

Check in with me at 9:30am but no later than 09:45 I am very punctual and if you are not on the range by 10:00 you cannot shoot. Please keep in mind you will have to pay and sign-in so give yourself plenty of time especially if you have never shot at this range. Rain or shine.

Where:
Renton Fish and Game Club (http://www.rfgc.org)
Open to the public - you do not need to be a member. Would be nice if you were a concealed pistol license (CPL) holder or show proof of firearm ownership. Have a good level of proficiency with your carry gun - meaning you can hit the side of the barn in front of you

Deadline to register:
Saturday, August 29th by 5pm No late entry or same day shooters meaning No Walk-on shooters. You must pre-register with me. All this means is that I have you down as coming. Just an email with your name and contact phone is all I need.

NEW: After warming up we'll change Bay 1 and 3 into a steel challenge. 2 shooters will face off with 6 steel plates each. At the go we'll see who can shoot all 6 plates the fastest. Not competition but just good fun. Challenge a friend or just go up and see where you stand.

How much:
Cost for you will be $25 for non members and $5 for members - to cover only target and facility charges. No money is allocated to the instructors/safety officers as this is strictly done on a volunteer range/safety officer basis. So, the people running the range are all non-paid volunteers including me. Membership to Renton Fish and Game Club is available onsite. For non-members this fee will allow you to shoot at the rifle and pistol range all day too! Please make payments by CHECK form to streamline the in-processing process.

Why:
This is to get the right mindframe for this type of practice. We are not fast draw nor is this a competition. We will guide and ensure the safety of all shooters as best as possible.

There are not many opportunities to practice from your concealed holster in the US, let alone in Washington.

My proposal has been to use the RFGC’s Action Bays to shoot steel plates and targets using your concealed holster and also on the move. Shoot as rapidly as you want and can safely handle. No full auto guns – thanks.

I want to develop practice training opportunities for CPL (concealed pistol license) holders and expose members of RFGC to a side of shooting many do not get to experience. Sure you can do this at an IDPA or USPSA (ISPC) match, but that's in a competition level. I wanted to present a fun user friendly environment for people to practice.

Safety First, then it's all good after that.

For non CPL (members or non members): Please be aware that this is a Cold Range (basically, don't have a loaded gun). Bring your gun in a case or holster (empty: no magazine or round in chamber). Absolutely no gun handling except on the firing line and in a Designated Safety Area. If you are seen handling your firearm behind others you will be asked to leave.
Violation of Rule #1 - failure to treat the gun with proper mindset.

Other things:
Safety First
I'm hoping this is a start of something fun for everyone. I really don't want to make it our last. Please be mindful that we need to be safe at all times.
1) Treat your Gun as it's always loaded, do not handle unless you are up to shoot DO NOT HANDLE YOUR GUN
2) Muzzle - only point downrange
3) No finger on trigger unless you are shooting

Pistol or revolver - ANY pistol caliber is fine. I'm not biased so bring what you have so long as you can shoot it safely. Yes, that means a .22 is okay. Please do have a good holster that can withstand multiple re-holstering. A flimsy holster may be unsafe. Holster is not required but recommended - you will just have to case and uncase on the firing line.

Magazine Capacity - Please know there is no magazine capacity limit. This is practice so bring what you have and top off. For the Steel Challenge we may limit to 6 rounds per magazine just to keep the field level. This is open for discussion.

Ammo
Please NO armour piercing or tracers, explosive rounds, etc. Good Hollow points or FMJ are fine. Frangiles are recommend but not required. Please stock up and bring lots of ammo.

I strongly recommend at least 300 rounds +

You can always shoot it another day. You can also buy some at the range too.

Targets
No Targets Needed. We'll use the stands for IDPA and get a IDPA targets to shoot at. You do not need any targets.

Distances of targets
The IDPA targets will be from 5 ft to 30 ft and steel plates will be out to about 30-50 ft (for safety).

HOW:
You must contact me with your
1) Email
2) Contact phone number.
3) Please let me know where you saw the post too.

I'll confirm and send you more details of the shoot.
email me at [email protected]

Young Kim,
NRA Certified Instructor (pistol), NRA Range Safety Officer, NRA Life Member
RFGC and IDPA memberYoung Kim, NRA Certified Instructor (pistol)
NRA Life Member, NRA Range Safety Officer
RFGC and IDPA Member

Check out my new website: www.shootonthemove.org
Old August 9, 2009, 05:18 PM   #2
oldkim

Event is now closed

In order to keep the shoot moving and fun I am closing the event to further shooters.

No new shooters will be added to my list as the event is full.

Thanks!

Check out my new website: www.shootonthemove.org