The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 14, 2008, 12:58 AM   #1
zappadragon

Holster Questions for J Frames

I am looking for a holster for my S&W 317 snubbie. I plan to add another S&W J frame in 38sp. I do not have a holster yet and feel that the SOB would be the best way to go. Let me know what you think. I want to know your thoughts on this and would like to know how you carry and which brands of holsters you guys use. Also if anyone has one for a 317 please let me know.

Thanks
Old April 14, 2008, 01:31 AM   #2
MrTuffPaws

Small of the back holsters are fine if you understand that in most cases you will either be sweeping yourself with your gun on the draw, or you will be sweeping people behind and to the weak side of you. You can avoid each by practicing your draw and being aware of where the barrel is pointing while doing so. Then making adjustments.

Personally, I carry a Taurus M85 (same general size as a J Frame) in a pocket holster that I made for myself.

Old April 14, 2008, 03:05 AM   #3
Kraziken

I'm a fan of plain old outside the waist belt holsters to be honest. The gun is small enough, an oversized shirt is enough to conceal it well enough.

I prefer Galco.
Old April 14, 2008, 03:10 AM   #4
Playboypenguin

SOB holsters are just an all around bad idea for many reasons.

They cause you an awkward sweeping draw, you cannot sit comfortably while wearing one, you can be severely injured in a tussle or a regular slip and fall if you land on it against you spine, and it is way to easy to be disarmed from behind.

Last edited by Playboypenguin; April 14, 2008 at 08:31 AM.
Old April 14, 2008, 04:27 AM   #5
zappadragon

I am aware of the concerns with SOB but I am a bigger man and it is more comfortable on the back then the side were my spare tire is. I am just not sure if I want a pocket holster or just need to get more used to the feel of a side holster, either IWB or OWB. Since I don't have a real holster I just kinda wing it with the gun in the pants. Thats why I am asking you guys.

Thanks
Old April 14, 2008, 12:18 PM   #6
Ralph Allen

We use Bianchi IWB for J frames. Worn either in the appendix or kidney area depending on weather/clothing/personal preference.
Ralph
Old April 14, 2008, 02:13 PM   #7
sophijo

Bianchi

+1 Bianchi IWB
Old April 14, 2008, 02:40 PM   #8
Kreyzhorse

I carry a J frame and carried a Bianchi Professional 100 IWB in the small of the back when I first started carrying. It works well, but SOB isn't the most comfortable place to carry and it certainly isn't the easiest to get to in a hurry. Not to mention I feel that it is very easy to "print" when you carry SOB vs other methods.

My primary J frame carry is now OWB Galco Fletch. I carry on my left hip (I'm left handed). It's easy to reach, hides even under a t-shift and the Galco has a thumb strap which provides better retention.

Look at:

usgalco.com

bianchi-intl.com

donhume.com

and finally if you see a Galco or Bianchi you like, check this site for better prices than either the Galco or Bianchi website.

http://store.packinheatleather.com/
Old April 14, 2008, 02:41 PM   #9
Neophyte1

Murph's

zappa: Sir; in our region we have "Murph" he makes an outstanding 'belt' holster high and tight. Having thrown away, given away many pieces of junk with ?big? names; I had given up on J holster.

Was with a friend when we went to "Murph's" shop and I just watched them jaw-jack while I plundered about. Picked up J holster and "Danny" got interested and told me about his design.

Yeah well.
Then I noticed he carried the 638; We had been there about an hour and I hadn't seen him carring.
He had me try it on, and my 638 hasn't been without "Murph's"

By the standards of most
Old April 14, 2008, 03:34 PM   #10
Van55

I carry my J Frame in a pocket holster.
Old April 14, 2008, 03:59 PM   #11
joegator

I carry a 642 in a DeSantis pocket holster. Pocket carry gives you the advantage of having your hand on your firearm if potential trouble comes your way. The great thing about the 642 is that it can even be fired from inside a jacket pocket due to it's concealed hammer. I've heard that the Mika pocket holster is excellent but haven't used one myself.
Old April 14, 2008, 05:27 PM   #12
dairycreek

I have a Galco SOB and, when worn right in the center of the back, is a literal pain in the - - - However, when I move it a couple of inches (or so) to the right of center (I am right handed) I find it to be quite comfortable to wear and more easily drawn than when worn SOB. I carry my Ruger SP101 in it and it works quite well.

GOOD SHOOTING
Old April 14, 2008, 06:25 PM   #13
doc540

J frame carry

Old April 14, 2008, 08:18 PM   #14
DAdams

J Frame Holsters

I usually pocket carry a M&P 340 in a Mika roundcut.

Went back to the stock Crimson Trace 405s as the Hogue Monogrips were too long for pocket carry.

I just ordered my first OWB today. Blackhawk, Speed Classic. At $29.95 I thought it would be worth a try. Novel retention system w/o a strapped break. Purportedly an in tight medium high ride. Very lightweight and medium thin leather.

Thanks to jt1 of THR for the photos.
Old April 14, 2008, 08:53 PM   #15
Benzene

Negative effects

What negative effect(s) could IWB holsters have ON THE GUN? The Uncle Mike's sidekick (size 0) seems extremely comfortable and suitable for my snub nose revolvers.

Thanks.
Old April 15, 2008, 11:12 AM   #16
MrTuffPaws

Quote:
What negative effect(s) could IWB holsters have ON THE GUN?
Exposes the gun to more moisture. If you use a good lube, such as BF-CLP, it shouldn't be a problem though.
Old April 15, 2008, 07:38 PM   #17
gvf

Clipdraw

I use a Clip Draw. Works like a charm for me, though my snub is Colt Detective. http://www.clipdraw.com/
(read the testimonials, including cops)

(I have no connection to the company by the way)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jframe.jpg (46.0 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg jframe2.jpg (19.2 KB, 37 views)
Old April 15, 2008, 08:42 PM   #18
115scott

S&w 640

I carry my J frame in either my inside the pants Mitch Rosen holster or in my Bianchi ankle holster.
Old April 16, 2008, 02:31 PM   #19
Bailey Boat

For those of you that OWB carry check the Triple K website for the belt slide type. I got one last week and love it, inexpensive also......
Old April 16, 2008, 06:21 PM   #20
Dave85

Good call on the Triple K

The Triple K beltslide is on my hip right now. It is my favorite way to carry my Taurus M85. And it won't set you back too much, either.

I'm about thirty pounds overweight right now, and find the extra pounds make IWB carry very uncomfortable. When I am in slim-Dave mode, the Galco U.S.A. IWB works OK in appendix carry. But I still prefer the Triple K beltslide. They catalog it as the Skeleton Holster #246.