The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 3, 2012, 07:05 AM   #1
duelist1954

Shooting Beretta's M1934 .380 pistol

I've been told that, following the Luger, the Beretta Model 1934 was the second most popular war trophy in North Africa during WWII.

This Beretta M1934 belongs to a friend of mine. The little .380 auto served as the sidearm for the Italian army from 1934 until the end of 1991. This is a nice compact gun that is really fun to shoot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9d92FMwGMo
Old December 3, 2012, 07:37 AM   #2
Winchester_73

I actually hated shooting mine. It feels like shooting a crowbar or something. I thought the recoil was snappy due to the weight and grip angle. They are nice little pistols overall though. I had a Italian Army proofed one, "RE" marked IIRC that I sold some time ago. I would like to find another.

As far as it being a popular North African trophy, that is believable.
Old December 3, 2012, 11:08 AM   #3
Guv

I would love to have one, nice gun duelist.
Old December 3, 2012, 04:37 PM   #4
TailGator

A close friend of mine inherited one that his father had brought home after fighting his way up the Italian peninsula. He is not an avid pistol guy, so I helped him with cleaning it up and lubing it. We took it to the range and I was quite surprised how snappy the little bugger was. I was also all over the paper with it. I like most Beretta pistols, but I felt a bit disappointed in that one.
Old December 4, 2012, 01:54 AM   #5
Northrider

My best friend gave me his, claimed he had no use for it. I love shooting it. Only complaint I have is the awkward mag release. It fits my hand much better than my LCP and locks open after last shot. Would not sell it or trade it off.

Shoot safe and often
Old December 9, 2012, 07:29 PM   #6
Billy Shears

In my own personal opinion the Beretta Model 1934 was, and quite possibly still is, the best .380 handgun ever made. Larger and more comfortable than the LCP, but smaller and more concealable than the Cheetah, the 1934 is an ideal size for a .380 pistol in my mind.

They are indestructible, relatively affordable, almost perfectly ergonomic little pistols and are a real joy to shoot even for extended afternoon range sessions. Mine has no recoil to speak of and, despite crude military style sights, shoots straight to point of aim every time.

I can't speak highly enough of these little pistols and wish Beretta would reintroduce them.

A very elegant little weapon.

Last edited by Billy Shears; December 9, 2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old December 9, 2012, 10:21 PM   #7
TennJed

Saw one in a pawn shop not long ago. Made the mistake of going home to think about it. It was gone when I got back. Stupid me

Last edited by TennJed; December 10, 2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old December 10, 2012, 07:36 PM   #8
Billy Shears

Hey Duelist,

When you have a chance, would you mind posting a picture of your little Beretta's firing pin? Is yours the fat, blunt variety that looks like a cut off toothpick and leaves wide craters in your primers or does yours look more "normal?" If it is the fat kind, how is it working out for you?

Thanks
Old December 10, 2012, 07:44 PM   #9
RickB

Quote:
almost perfectly ergonomic little pistols
You certainly can't include the operation of the manual safety in that assessment.
Old December 10, 2012, 10:50 PM   #10
Billy Shears

Quote:
You certainly can't include the operation of the manual safety in that assessment.

Oh, I don't know. Seems to work just fine for me and I find it to be a very intuitive design. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. It's not a 1911 or P35, but I never expected it to be. Not everything has to be the fastest tactical switch in the west. When I hold a 1934 in my big right paw I find the safety/slide release lever exactly where I expect it to be and to move in a very natural, albeit lengthy, motion.

My only complaint about the setup is that I'm left handed. But when I shoot the pistol right handed it feels right.

I get a little hammer bite from the 1934, but no more than many other pistols I own. I guess I just have fat hands.
Old December 11, 2012, 01:17 PM   #11
RickB

I'm also a lefty, but even if I were a righty, don't think I could characterize a gun that required a reach to rotate the safety through 180 degrees as "almost perfectly ergonomic".
Of course, I also find the Luger to be one of the least "natural" pointers I've ever shot, so maybe my hands aren't natural?
My dad had two Colt hammerless models, and a Savage 1907, but carried the Beretta when he traveled.
Old December 11, 2012, 01:46 PM   #12
Billy Shears

Well, that's the beauty of living in a free country, I suppose. I can make a statement expressing an opinion and not have to justify it or prove it to be true for anyone other than myself.

You seem hell bent on proving that I'm wrong about the 34's ergos, but appear to miss where I said that it was all my "opinion." I thought I was fairly clear about that.

Bottom line: I think the 1934 is nearly perfect. You don't. Let's leave it at that. It's Christmas and there's no prize awarded to the guy who convinces the other guy to change his mind.

Old December 11, 2012, 02:10 PM   #13
RickB

Sorry, I didn't get the email indicating this thread was closed to discussion? Express opinons only?
Old December 11, 2012, 02:28 PM   #14
Sharpsdressed Man

Back to shooting the 1934: Mine is fun to shoot, but I am having a hard time making it as accurate as my Colt .32 or Walther .32. I don't have another .380 to compare it to at present, but my take is this particular 1934 just may just have "average" accuracy for the model. Still, perfectly fine for combat, but I am not going to hit an egg at 20 yards all the time. Super reliable; eats anything I can fit in the magazines. I don't think anyone can wear one out; they are built to last.
Old December 11, 2012, 02:29 PM   #15
LockedBreech

Saw a pristine one at an LGS for like $400 a few months ago. Never have regretted my limited funds so much.
Old December 11, 2012, 03:05 PM   #16
Billy Shears

Quote:
Saw a pristine one at an LGS for like $400 a few months ago.
Wow. That's a really good price for a pristine model. Too bad you couldn't take that one home. Do you recall if it was wartime production or one of the later commercial exports?
Old December 11, 2012, 05:00 PM   #17
LockedBreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by threedogdad View Post
Wow. That's a really good price for a pristine model. Too bad you couldn't take that one home. Do you recall if it was wartime production or one of the later commercial exports?
Unfortunately I knew if I handled it, I WOULD bring it home and not have rent money. My love for Beretta is irrationally strong. I wanted to avoid the temptation so I left pretty much when I saw the price.
Old December 11, 2012, 05:20 PM   #18
Billy Shears

Quote:
My love for Beretta is irrationally strong. I wanted to avoid the temptation so I left pretty much when I saw the price.

You have much better will power than I do. Hopefully though, whoever bought that one took it out and enjoyed it. Too many 1934s have become safe queens when they ought to be out punching holes in Coke cans. The pistols are built to last forever. No reason not to shoot them, especially the post war imports.
Old December 11, 2012, 05:33 PM   #19
Sharpsdressed Man

Well, Shut My Mouth!

Just when I think accuracy from my 1934 is not stellar, I try something a little different. Instead of shooting bargain priced 95gr. FMJ's, I go out to the range this afternoon, and take some reloads topped with Speer 90gr. Gold Dot HP's. I had loaded them some time ago, over 3.2gr. of Bullseye, and apparently clocked them at 940fps. Enclosed is a target. It pays to try more than one type of ammo before judging a gun's accuracy. Duh. [IMG][/IMG]
Old December 11, 2012, 05:50 PM   #20
Billy Shears

Very nice shooting, especially at that distance and with those tiny little sights.

Where do you find economically priced Gold Dots for reloading? I've loaded and fired nearly 5,000 rounds of .380 this year, but it's all been either cast or plated, none of that fancy brand name stuff.
Old December 11, 2012, 05:55 PM   #21
LockedBreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by threedogdad View Post
You have much better will power than I do. Hopefully though, whoever bought that one took it out and enjoyed it. Too many 1934s have become safe queens when they ought to be out punching holes in Coke cans. The pistols are built to last forever. No reason not to shoot them, especially the post war imports.
Couldn't agree more. I shoot my grandpa's Colt Python regularly
Old December 11, 2012, 06:00 PM   #22
Sharpsdressed Man

Thanks Threedogdad. Secret message sent.
Old December 11, 2012, 06:02 PM   #23
duelist1954

I agree. That's really good shooting from 25 yards. I'd be proud to have shot that target.
Old December 11, 2012, 06:16 PM   #24
Sharpsdressed Man

I was shocked myself when I trotted down to look at it! I don't always do that well with ANY gun. I might add that I was under an overhang, we had an overcast day, and there was no glare and I could make out the sight alignment better than other days when out in the sun, etc. Good day for articulating the sights. Bright, sunny days could also have added to the previously poor results from shooting the 1934.
Old December 11, 2012, 06:54 PM   #25
Billy Shears

Quote:
I might add that I was under an overhang, we had an overcast day, and there was no glare and I could make out the sight alignment better than other days when out in the sun, etc. Good day for articulating the sights.

No need to be so humble. Good shooting is good shooting. I shot another hundred rounds through mine yesterday but only at 10 yards. I can keep my groups pretty small at that range, but that's not saying much. I'll have to try it out to 25 tomorrow and see if I can match your score.

Bottom line though, for a pistol with a 3 inch barrel, an 8 pound trigger, miniscule sights and a "puny" caliber, these little pistols are regularly capable of impressive performance. I have only fired a few hollowpoints through mine since I've owned it, but I've fired hundreds of short little flat point plated bullets through it and it chambered everything with no problem. Accurate, reliable, durable and easy to look at, the Beretta Model 1934 is a great little pistol that really deserves to be updated and brought back into production.