The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 15, 2002, 06:25 PM   #1
Sprout

Good Binoculars for Birdwatching?

I am looking fr a Christmas present for my Mother: a pair of binculars that she could use for birdwatching. Are there any good binocs out there, that aren't too heavy, in the $150 range?

Thanks in advance for the help
Old December 15, 2002, 07:51 PM   #2
Double Naught Spy

These are way out of your range, but consider getting her a set of Canon Image Stabilization binoculars. I got some for my folks a few years ago to watch birds where they live out in the country and I have never topped the gift and they have repeatedly told me how much they enjoy using them.

If you can afford a one time splurge, your mom will be amazed.
Old December 15, 2002, 10:10 PM   #3
Nate Haler

Birdwatching? Do I have the link for you!

http://betterviewdesired.com/

The writer is an optics expert, and birdwatcher of world-class reputation.

Have a look at his 'classic' articles, and you will see many reviews of many sorts of binos, not all of which cost a fortune.

If it were my mom, I'd take a REAL hard look at Pentax PCF WP line. These are porro prism (typical looking) binoculars, and have twist-up eyecups to adjust eye relief (instead of the rather cheesey, by comparison, folding eye cups). They are also waterproof, hence the 'WP' designation.

An excellent place to buy these, and other good binos, is: http://www.17photo.com/mivastore/mer...uct_Code=65801

Right now, Pentax is offering a $25.00 rebate on certain binos, including the 8x40 PCF WP, which are priced at $118.89 before the rebate!! That's a bargain friend.

I think you will find Better View Desired to be a wealth of info. And another place worth checking for various binos and various bargains is Amazon.com, believe it or not. They have access to a gazillion different vendors, and their website will provide price comparisons and reader reviews which might be helpful.

But 17thStreetPhoto is a *very* reputable vendor. You cannot go wrong doing business with them.

Good luck!
Old December 15, 2002, 10:54 PM   #4
Sprout

Thanks Nate and 00Spy, I'll check those suggestions out
Old December 16, 2002, 09:09 AM   #5
Double Naught Spy

I got emailed to explain image stabilization. The Canon IS binoculars have the same technology in them that is present in many video cameras. This allows for a shaky image to be greatly stabilized. The significance of that little bit of technology is that the person using the binoculars can concentrate a little more on what is in the field of view more so than on trying to hold the darn things steady. A steady view is really handy when it comes to trying to spot small attributes on some birds that are the diagnostic markings of a particular species or sex. Without the IS binoculars, I would always have to try to find some steady support, such as a tree trunk, to lean against in order to eliminate enough shake to be able to see what I needed to see.

Nate, cool information. Thanks.
Old December 16, 2002, 09:46 AM   #6
Nate Haler

Image Stabilization may be affordable!

Check this: http://www.17photo.com/mivastore/mer..._Code=specials

The price in case you don't want to check is $240, before a $30.00 mail-in rebate, for Canon's 8x23 IS binocular.

Want a bit more power and larger objective? Their 10x30 is $315.00 before $50 (fifty buck) rebate.

No, I don't work for this store (or any store), just got interested in 00Spy's suggestion (thank YOU for the neat tip).

Higher mag and larger objectives above 10x30 cost quite a bit more, but you get what you pay for, and with the IS (image stabilization) feature, a hand-held high mag bino would seem like a workable solution.

FWIW, on a cruise up the Alaskan coast last year (awesome trip, highly recommend), there were lots of senior types on the boat, and many of them had no binos, or badly inadequate versions. Watching grizzly bears play on the beach is not to be missed! Could be that a favorite senior or less rock-steady person in your life might LOVE the image stabilization binos.

Happy holidays.
Old December 16, 2002, 10:50 AM   #7
Blues

Take a look at the Minolta 8x40 WP FP (weather proof, fog proof) as well. Received a very good review from a recent Consumer Report's review, and available online and shipped for under $150. They weigh in at about 26 or 27 ounces.

I've been pleased with mine so far.

I also use Brunton Eterna 8x25's for hiking/backpacking as they are only 12 oz., but won't be as good for birding.

KnifePix

Last edited by Blues; December 16, 2002 at 11:10 AM.
Old December 17, 2002, 06:16 AM   #8
Guyon

I just bought a pair of Bausch and Lomb "Hemisphere" binocs at Sam's Club for $65. They normally sell for $100.

Features include: BAK4 prisms, twist-out eye cups, multicoated lenses, and waterproof/fogproof.

Here's a picture of them: http://www.bobwards.com/De.tpl?comma...ulars&is=large
Old December 17, 2002, 12:53 PM   #9
Sprout

Wow, that Canon 8x25 IS Compact looked so cool, I had to get it for my Mom. Great idea 00Spy. She's going to love it. And with Nate's terrific price, well I had to do it.

Thanks everybody. Great forum.