The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 4, 2002, 11:33 AM   #1
Alex Johnson

Hunting opportunities in Wisconsin

I'm thinking about a move to Northern Wisconsin and am interested in the hunting possibilities. I'm mainly a waterfowl and deer hunter how good is the Northern Wisconsin area for these species and how hard is it to find land to hunt on?
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
- Mark Twain
Old September 4, 2002, 08:24 PM   #2
ReadyOnTheRight

They had it set up two years ago so that you could get 5 deer in Wisconsin. Last year you could get 3. One problem is that they are so overpopulated that they make the season much easier to get antlerless than trophy deer.

Up on the S. shore of Lake Superior, I had shots at 10 antlerless deer from my stand and finally took 2 does on my last day. No buck sightings last year, but I saw 5 the year before during the antlerless only season.

The wolves don't seem to travel down from Northern MN, so the deer population is way up.

There are also ruffed grouse in N. Wisconsin -- very fun hunting.
I've never tried duck hunting there.

I think you'll like Wisconsin. There are a lot of woods and I think you can find some hunting spots if you just drive around and ask in the bars (every Wisconsin town has a church and at least 3 bars).

Best of luck in the move!
"Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys." -Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle-
Old September 6, 2002, 08:23 AM   #3
gfrey

Hi,

While I live in southern Wisconsin, I can tell you there are few bad spots in Wisconsin for deer hunting. Without you being more specific, There are plenty of waterfowl in the state, and Horicon marsh is a major flyway stopover. There are enough canada geese as permanent residents that there is an early season that covers most of the state!

The license system works a little strange. A gun license is for 1 antlered deer (3" or more) good for the whole state.
You can apply for a Hunters choice permit that allows you to take a deer of either sex in the specified unit only. (in other words, a doe in the specified unit OR a buck anywhere in the state. Still only 1 deer!)

You can apply for a Bonus tag, if you purchase a bonus tag (or multiple) the money helps the crop damage fund to repay farmers, and you are allowed to shoot 1 antlerless deer per tag in the specified unit.

With me yet?

Now because of cronic overpopulation is certain areas, a Zone T hunt was established. These units are in a special hunt (Varies from year to year.) that is for antlerless deer ONLY.

This year the DNR gave 1 zone T tag per license (I got 2, gun and archery) which allows you to shoot 1 antlerless deer in a Zone T unit only! In the past they have given 2 per, and more free. This year you get 1 and can buy more (Like a bonus tag)

Archery, 1 license allows you to take a deer, either sex. You can tag a bow shot buck with your gun tag (BUT NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND!), and you can use bonus or zone T tags for does, if appropriate.

So yes you can take multiple deer, but you gotta follow the rules.
The Wisconsin DNR site is
http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/

If you have any questions let me know.

Gfrey
Old September 6, 2002, 02:44 PM   #4
ReadyOnTheRight

Great explaination of the WI rules GFrey! I hardly understand them myself from year to year, so I didn't want to take a shot at explaining them to someone. I've never gotten close to the 5 deer limit, but it's sure nice to keep going out through antlerless, regular season and blackpowder season -- deep into December.

I should point out that there are a lot of deer and places to hunt in northern WI, but also -- everyone hunts. So I see a lot of hunters where I go and you hear a lot of shooting.
"Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys." -Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle-