The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 2, 2010, 08:08 AM   #1
plumbernater

new from Alabama

Ive had black powder pistols and still have my old, ruger old army Its been put up and taken down to clean and wipe on from time to time. But it seems the fever is hitting me again to start shooting black powder . So ive got out on this forum looking for some like minded people and I think Ive found some. Heres a picture of my baby
Old September 2, 2010, 09:07 AM   #2
Doc Hoy

Welcome to the club PN

Your photo is great and you came to the right place. As long as you ignore my input, you will get universally good information here.
Old September 2, 2010, 09:07 AM   #3
mykeal

Welcome to the forum. We're a diverse and passionate group - I've been here a while and I'm STILL looking for like-minded folks. Maybe it's my mind that's the problem....

Nice looking ROA.
Old September 2, 2010, 09:28 AM   #4
plumbernater

Maybe I should have said some of the same passions.
Old September 2, 2010, 11:41 AM   #5
Fingers McGee

Welcome to the forum Plumbernater.

Nice lookin shootin iron. Pay no attention to those other two posters. They are a wealth of information - some of it is even correct
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old September 2, 2010, 11:47 AM   #6
plumbernater

Hay fingers .My boss was up in the ozarks last week end buying a horse said its pretty up there.
Old September 2, 2010, 12:02 PM   #7
Fingers McGee

Yeppers, it is. Gonna get even prettier when it cools off and the leaves turn
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old September 2, 2010, 01:06 PM   #8
bedbugbilly

plumbernate - welcome to the forum! Lot's of good folks on here and good information as well. Your photo is great and you shooting iron sure is purrrrty! As for me . . . .just ignore anything I say . . . . I take great pride in being a little "nuts" and downright "warped"! Enjoy the forum and hope you're on here often!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old September 2, 2010, 01:07 PM   #9
R.O

welcome , nice gun; and I like the knife very much,any story's to share on that one
Old September 2, 2010, 01:20 PM   #10
Hardcase

Welcome aboard, Plumbernater! It's always nice to have another inmate in the asylum!
Old September 2, 2010, 02:00 PM   #11
WALKERsD210

Another one from Alabama ??

I had just about given up any hope that anyone else from Alabama was still making smoke. You will find a great bunch of folk here that either has all the answers or darn good at making up the answer. Just as long as your not a fan of those people that wear Orange and Blue on the plains. ROLLL TIDE.
Old September 2, 2010, 02:14 PM   #12
plumbernater

That knife is the only thing I got from my grandfather when he died and I had to take it from another family member. Death brings out the ugly in alot of people. Any way the knife is a springfield 1880, its the first survival knife issued to our soilders by the US along with every thing else the solders needed during the indian campains. It was one of those things in my grandpaws closet he would get out and show and tell to me when I was small. I allways thought it was the neatest knife I ever saw . It complements my old army very well I need a better belt and holster for the time represented by the firearm
Old September 2, 2010, 02:48 PM   #13
R.O

plumbernater ,thank you very much for sharing that story,a great family heirloom, and a wonderfull piece ,you probably would not mind, saying that I envy you
Old September 2, 2010, 04:15 PM   #14
Slowhand

Great looking ROA and Knife

Welcome to the party. Great looking set of weapons there.
Old September 2, 2010, 04:31 PM   #15
the Black Spot

welcome !

that knife looks like one issued to the "rough riders"
Old September 2, 2010, 04:52 PM   #16
"JJ"

Welcome from North East Texas! This forum has whatcha need to cure that fever!
Old September 3, 2010, 01:16 AM   #17
EdInk

Oh Lord! He's got the fever! No! Why? God? Why?

Sadly, there is no cure. I guess that we'll have to drag him out back and shoot him.

I was talking about the ROA. What do you think I meant?
Old September 3, 2010, 09:17 AM   #18
plumbernater

just shoot me with black powder. The knife started issue to the troops around the 1880s like most things the military use are around for awhile. My knife I do not know the exact date of issue. My grand paw always said it seen action in the indian campains. When I got it it was razer sharp and I always remember it being razer sharp. The ruger Ive had for quite a while now. and I seen a navy colt by uberti for sale here I want but funds are low. Why do you think a plumber is on the computer at 9:26 in the morning. there aint no work today. Lets vote good in nov. Ive had a couple of 1860 colt replecas ,but did some trading from time to time. I couldnt get rid of the old army you know how some guns get to the heart.

Last edited by plumbernater; September 3, 2010 at 09:30 AM.