The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 11, 2008, 11:23 PM   #1
Sevens

Timber Wolf pump rifle?

Well, I didn't find any reference to it in the first 50 results of the search engine, so here goes.

Back in the 80s when I subscribed to Guns & Ammo (hey, there were no cool internet forums back then!) there was a recurring advertisement for a pump (slide action) .357 Magnum rifle called the Timber Wolf. IIRC, it was one of the foreign makers or importers that offered this rifle. It had a straight stock similar to an old lever action and employed a tube magazine. I think it had an exposed hammer, but I'm not sure on that point.

Seemed like a helluva idea for a small, light, yet somewhat powerful little game getter or plinker.

Has anyone owned or fired one? Does anyone ever spot one on the used market? For the life of me, I've never come across one.

Can't figure out why it didn't have at least a small following.
Old June 12, 2008, 01:29 AM   #2
MacGille

Check out the replica Colt Lightning being made for the cowboy crowd. Looks just like what you are describing. Comes in .357, .44, .45.
If ye love wealth better than Liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animated contest of Freedom, go from us in Peace. We ask not your counsel or Arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen. --Samuel Adams--<*ixoye><
Old June 12, 2008, 03:04 AM   #3
the_right_reverend

seen a few of these at local gun shows

http://www.taurususa.com/products/gu...cfm?series=PA3
Old June 12, 2008, 07:42 AM   #4
tulsamal

The Timber Wolf was made by IMI in Israel. People ask about them every now and then. There aren't many of them out there so when one comes up for sale they go for VERY high amounts of money. A lot more than you would expect for a simple .357 Magnum pump rifle anyway!

Gregg

EDIT: I _thought_ it was IMI. But this manual for sale on gunbroker says Action Arms. Same company with a different name? Israeli either way!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=102014958
Old June 12, 2008, 07:56 AM   #5
SilentHitz

I have one in my safe, and it is a nice little rifle. As stated IMI did make them in 357 and.44mag.

The stock is even adjustable, and can be lowered for scope use...nice feature to have.

Found this on Action arms site:http://www.remtek.com/arms/imi/timber/index.htm

Found this on GunsAmerica:http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976782084.htm

Last edited by SilentHitz; June 12, 2008 at 08:58 AM.
Old June 12, 2008, 05:27 PM   #6
6thMichCav

Timberwolf, up close and personal

My brother owns a Timberwolf, and I have had a chance to shoot it a few times. This one is a .357.

The stock and overall feel of the gun feels very much like a Winchester 94 or 92. It is thin, relatively light, and has a straight gripped stock. The big old safety button is on the side like an 870.

The action is not quite as quick as I expected (shotgun-like), but it is certainly fast enough for its purpose. Like most carbines, the combination of sight radius and a more stable shooting platform makes it a little easier to shoot accurately than a pistol or revolver. The sights and tube magazine make gun handling quite a bit like the '94 drill, too.

Back then, it was $275. Today, way too much for the overall quality of the gun. I agree that a slide-action in a pistol cartridge is a great idea, but lament the fact that Taurus chose to go "cowboy" and include an exposed hammer. Sorry, but the hammer in your sight picture is no aid to sighting or repeat shots.

I'd like someone else to manufacture the same concept (Ruger!), and these days, I would probably buy one in .44 mag or .45 Colt.
Old June 12, 2008, 06:36 PM   #7
SilentHitz

Quote:
Back then, it was $275.
Yep, glad I bought mine then, I was kinda shocked when I saw what they were selling for now. Maybe I should put mine in auction and see what it brings.
Old June 12, 2008, 07:16 PM   #8
Crosshair

I wish Taurus would chop the barrel on those pumps of theirs down to 18" or so.
Old June 16, 2008, 05:43 PM   #9
farmall

A deputy that used to rent a farm house from us had one of these in his Bronco. I shot it enough to really want one. Thought it was a great patrol rifle, especially back when all our deputies carried 686 S&W .357's
I agree that they're overpriced now, and have given up on trying to ever get a Taurus Thunderbolt in .357. They come in any caliber you want, as long as it's 45 Colt!
Andy
Old June 21, 2008, 06:14 AM   #10
Tranq45

I own one in .44, my brother has one in .357.

Over-priced? Maybe. But frankly, I haven't found any comparable carbine that handles as well for me. It points very naturally, and has more than enough 'thump' for my purposes.

As I understand, the ATF pulled the plug when it was discovered that the rifle could be fired with the stock removed - Not well, or accurately, but it *would* fire. Perhaps a 1000 had been imported in .44 at that point. I regret the ATF's panic reaction to it - In an era when we had politicos having a case of the vapors over every 'black rifle' around, who'd have thought a little pump-gun would so scare the ATF? It has some limited value as a collector's piece, but it's too obscure and insignificant for much value there, either.

Well, anyway, I paid a small premium for mine, and don't regret it for a second. The only thing I want now is an original owner's manual for it.
Old June 21, 2008, 11:22 AM   #11
nemoaz

Won't most rifles fire with the stock removed? Makes no sense.
Old June 21, 2008, 08:48 PM   #12
Tranq45

Frankly, I've never tried, so I wouldn't know - But who said the ATF ever made sense, anyway?
Old June 24, 2008, 01:59 AM   #13
skinnygun

I have been looking for a pump .45lc or .357 mag .

I've seen Timberwolf rifles for sale 20" barrel seems like nice rifles but only used no warrenty $600 dollar range.Can mount a scope on the reciver hammer is inclosed .

The Taurus is only in .45lc and will not shoot the more powerfull Buffalo Bore or Grizzy ammo. $600. dollar range.Barrel is 24".

The AWA will handel the hot Buffalo Bore + Grizzy .45lc or .357mag, price $800 range made stronger then the Taurus internals better.Need to mount scout scope on barrel.Barrel 20".

The Umberti + Cimarron $1000 and more ,nicer finnishs.

I will go with the AWA in .45lc.
Old August 29, 2008, 09:40 AM   #14
jd kidd

timber wolf intregal rings

I am trying to find a scope ring to fit the WEVER type rail that is on the top of reciever of the TIMBER WOLF RIFLE,or mount or scope that has a mount the scope,dot scope etc.....
Old September 3, 2008, 06:43 PM   #15
Sevens

Quote:
Well, anyway, I paid a small premium for mine, and don't regret it for a second. The only thing I want now is an original owner's manual for it.
A quick search on Gunbroker turns up one rifle ($795) and three different auctions for an owner's manual.