The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 27, 2013, 10:47 PM   #1
ndking1126

Rem 11-48 Date of Manufacture Question

Alright, so I surf on over to the Remington Society of America site, and what I'm seeing on my shotgun doesn't seem to match what they are saying.

Here's left side of my shotgun -

Looks like a D77, but RSA says it should be 3 letters?

Serial numbers match on receiver and barrel. I got this from my grandfather a few years back when he passed away. It's a 12 gauge. I did a search on here, but couldn't find many posts about the 11-48, even less about this specifically.

One other question, I see the models are 11-48A as an example. There is no letter after "11-48" on my receiver. Where do I find out what submodel this one is?

Thanks!
Old July 28, 2013, 10:23 AM   #2
PetahW

IMO, your bbl was stamped off-center and should be read as "DZZ" (1953).

The "Z" die was most likely at an angle when struck, which resulted in a light/no strike at the bottom of the letter.

Old July 28, 2013, 01:25 PM   #3
Virginian

In my opinion, Remington's rollmarking is not an absolute. I have 3 barrels with no date stamps. Hardly unusual. Serial number will usually get you close. I do not believe they serial numbered barrels with actions much past 1952, if at all.
Old July 28, 2013, 05:38 PM   #4
ndking1126

PetahW, the ZZ theory would make perfect sense. The bottom of the "7" comes to a point as if the stamp just lost contact with the barrel.

I'm going to ask Remington to check by the serial number just to see if that date matches. In the end it's not a huge deal but I was just curious.

Thanks!

Virginian, if PetahW's idea is correct, since my serial numbers match, I guess my rifle would be the exception to your theory.
Old July 29, 2013, 05:07 AM   #5
Virginian

True. Of course, if you have an 11-48 rifle that's really a whole 'nother ballgame, too. Remington's "records retrieval" service is even less reliable than the rollmarking these days. They told me two of my guns did not exist based on serial numbers, and they sent a letter on Remington letterhead no less, to a guy certifying a gun to be something it was not. It made a BIG difference in value and probably cost some poor soul quite a few dollars.
Don't think I am knocking Remington's guns, because I am a certified Remington fan. But, it appears that with almost 15 million 870s and 1100s out there and a goodly number of owners wanting information, the people having to come up with the answers have grown a little disenchanted. I can't say I blame them.

Last edited by Virginian; July 29, 2013 at 05:14 AM.
Old August 1, 2013, 04:51 PM   #6
oldgunsmith

If I remember correctly, Remington didn't date stamp barrels that were sold as extra barrels. Only the ones that came out of the factory on new guns.
Old August 1, 2013, 05:50 PM   #7
Virginian

Two of my unmarked barrels came out of the boxes with the guns, brand new. Two of the extra barrels I bought new from Remington have date stamps. The one I bought in 1963 did not have a date stamp. I have seen an 1100 with ONLY a serial number for rollmarking. During the transition from LW to LT anything was possible on lightweight 20 gauges. Possibly when the rollmarking guy went on break they just kept everything else right on rolling, I don't know.