The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 11, 2012, 07:22 PM   #1
915A

LC9 vs " Cant find anywhere Shield"

So we finally got to look at various "micro or pocket" handguns, minus the CM9 or Shield. The LC9 was the unanimous choice, but the trigger was a bit long winded. Is the Shield worth the wait for a look? The best thing about the LC9 for the Mrs. was it is basically like the SR9c had a baby and forgot to add the nice trigger. I know Galloway Precision has an answer for the trigger. The one we messed with had the Laser grip, which probably isnt needed, unless it is useful. Thoughts? And I really appreciate all the help you guys have given to me.
Old October 11, 2012, 08:39 PM   #2
jfrey

Wait for the Shield. You won't be sorry. I haven't been so far.
Old October 11, 2012, 09:27 PM   #3
Mrgunsngear

The Shield is the class of the class in my opinion. The only gun that even gives it competition is the PPS. The LC9 is much more difficult to shoot well for most shooters and just doesn't feel as well made (not saying it's not, just feel here) to me.

Last edited by Mrgunsngear; October 11, 2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old October 11, 2012, 10:25 PM   #4
checkmyswag

LC9 is good. Shield is better.
Old October 11, 2012, 11:37 PM   #5
Arsenal

I've shot both and I liked the shield a lot more. I like the Walter PPS more than both of them though.
Old October 11, 2012, 11:45 PM   #6
jmhyer

Another PPS vote. Should be easy enough to find and not significantly more expensive than the Shield.
Old October 12, 2012, 12:19 AM   #7
915A

Now that i think of it, we missed the pps too. Will look again, tomorrow. No rush so we will hold off until we can check the Shield out too. Thanks again TFL.
Old October 12, 2012, 12:23 AM   #8
Ajtozzi

Add another tally mark for the PPS. I absolutely love mine!
Old October 12, 2012, 01:02 AM   #9
LockedBreech

Before the Shield, the PPS was queen of this ball. I'd own either happily.
Old October 12, 2012, 01:48 AM   #10
mete

Try the M&P C ,it's not that much different than the Schield.
Old October 12, 2012, 02:29 AM   #11
TAKtical

Wait for the shield. Order one from impactguns for $399 and wait for it.
Due to several differences of opinion with staff, I am choosing to no longer do business on this forum. Everyone that has a pending order will need to contact me via email at [email protected] Thanks,
-Tom&Tricia
Old October 12, 2012, 02:41 AM   #12
warningshot

Tell your friends you heard it here first...The basic plain Walther PPS will keep chugging along long after the S&W auto pistol has been put in the 2nd or 3rd design change & re-numbering drawer.

Don't sweat it. Your Sheild will do fine. Maybe.
Old October 12, 2012, 06:05 AM   #13
checkmyswag

Quote:
Tell your friends you heard it here first...The basic plain Walther PPS will keep chugging along long after the S&W auto pistol has been put in the 2nd or 3rd design change & re-numbering drawer. <br />
<br />
Don't sweat it. Your Sheild will do fine. Maybe.
I'm sure the PPS is a fine pistol but what is this based on?

Also the M&P compact is a good suggestion.
Old October 12, 2012, 06:25 AM   #14
Kreyzhorse

I also wanted to suggest the Walther PPS. In my opinion, it tops both guns without question.

Back to your original question, I'd wait to check out the Shield before I bought but I'd also check out the Walther while I was waiting.
Old October 12, 2012, 04:57 PM   #15
warningshot

To Checkyourswag...Don't believe everything I write. If I was right more than 50.1% of the time I'd go to Vegas and become rich.

How long will it take the shield to earn a new model number, a recall, ect, while the Sigs, Glocks and Walthers remain very close to their orginal designs? Who knows? I hope the shield, and S&W, make a high volume of reliable semi auto pistols with thousands of happy customers. In the meantime, I trust only those manufactures with stable and proven models.
Old October 12, 2012, 06:03 PM   #16
willyd

ruger LC9

I was going to buy the Shield, but Vance Guns had the LC9 for $299. I could not resist..
Old October 12, 2012, 06:43 PM   #17
ritepath

Be sure to see if they have a P938...
Old October 12, 2012, 07:46 PM   #18
Schnitzjr

If you like the Shield, check out the Bersa BP9cc. . $350 delivered, same size as the Shield, sweet trigger with short reset, comes with two mags, etc.
I'm really happy with mine.
Old October 12, 2012, 08:19 PM   #19
915A

Ooooooh that Bersa BP9cc looks interesting, and since Bersa has Walther history involved it may be worth a look.
Old October 12, 2012, 08:37 PM   #20
ritepath

The Bursa does look interesting.....my only question is the same one I have about the shield.

Why are they so darned heavy. The shield is almost as heavy as my 9c. The Bursa 24 ounces.
Old October 12, 2012, 10:02 PM   #21
Patriot86

SHIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got one for my wife...I shoot it more now then her though lol. The shield is just worlds better in every way I can think of to the LC9. Unless you like very long very heavy trigger pulls go for the shield. I thought it would be impossible to find a Shield too but after calling around and driving 45 mins I ended up with one.
Old October 13, 2012, 10:48 AM   #22
Skans

The LC9 fits in my pocket. Personally, I want my next pocket 9mm will be smaller, not bigger than the LC9. The Shield is slightly longer and taller than the LC9. It also weighs a little more.

I really like a number of things about the Shield, but why...WHY couldn't they make it smaller than the LC9 - even by a few millimeters??? Yes, this makes a huge difference to me! No matter how good the features or trigger is, the Shield just won't work for my purposes. I don't care how accurate the Shield is; how good the trigger is; what stupid safety features it doesn't have (that the Ruger has) - if it ain't smaller (like Diamondback DB9 smaller), it's technology wasted.

The Ruger is smaller, lighter, exceptionally reliable and accurate enough at defensive ranges. If S&W would have made it smaller, the Shield would made it to the top of my list of "gotta have" guns. But, SIZE MATTERS!
Old October 14, 2012, 01:53 AM   #23
highbrow

I test fired the LC 9. Trigger pinched my finger every shot.
My dealer had a Shield and I jumped on it. Very comfortable to shoot.
Eats everything I feed it.

There are some corners of this country which have bred the most terrible things, things that act against everything we believe in. They must be fought. FBHO- Free Edward Snowden
Old October 14, 2012, 10:47 AM   #24
n2cycles

had one lc9 sold it

I had an LC9 and sold it. Couldnt get used to the trigger. It never failed me, never jammed and seemed accurate if I could manage the trigger. It is nice and thin but really on the high side (weight and dimensions) of pocket carry. My G27 is similar in length and height but thicker and heavier but it does carry the 40 over the 9 and more rounds to boot. I havent tried the shield yet but hear it is a fine gun and you can get it in 40 but I think it is a tad bigger than the LC9. It is a little too new to say if it will be reliable yet. Most of the time I carry my reworked Kel-tec 380. It is just so light and small and easy to carry. If I feel I need more I go add the G27.
Old October 15, 2012, 09:34 AM   #25
ShipWreck

I rented a Shield back in May - on a Sat. Got a Shield on Monday. Sold my Kahr PM9 on Thur (I had it for 2+ years, but never really liked it much).

Spent 2.5 months looking for a 2nd Shield after that. GREAT gun.