The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 26, 2009, 08:51 PM   #1
NRALIFER

Ithaca Model 49

I have an Ithaca model 49 single shot .22 it has a problem ejecting I think the ejector is suppose to hold until the block fully drops but it just comes out and pushes on the spent casing, no attempt to actually eject. I got this thing years ago it's my son's now and I'd like to make it work right.
Old September 28, 2009, 02:03 PM   #2
bigbird34

Ejector....

this Model 49 has been discussed before in these forums.....IMHO the 22lr has worn the chamber causing the brass to bell outward into the worn area and the extractor does not have the "spring" to eject the LR brass,but it will do fine with Long and shorts as the brass won't bell outward ,due to the length of the brass ....The only fix,is to cut the chamber and have it reamed back out to 22lr.....

I would suggest a nice single shot Savage to replace the Model 49....(Thats what I did) ....Jim
Old September 28, 2009, 03:06 PM   #3
Scorch

Quote:
IMHO the 22lr has worn the chamber causing the brass to bell outward into the worn area and the extractor does not have the "spring" to eject the LR brass,but it will do fine with Long and shorts as the brass won't bell outward ,due to the length of the brass
Cases for 22 Long Rifle and 22 Long are the same length, the only difference being the weight of the bullet used (29 gr vs 40 gr).

Your Ithaca 49 may only need a good cleaning. If you find you need parts for the rifle, Numrich Gun Parts may have the parts you need. If you are unsure about how to disassemble and clean the rifle, take it to a competent gunsmith.
Old September 28, 2009, 03:18 PM   #4
George R

Ithaca 49

If the factory gunsmith information, including complete takedown, will help you, email me and I'll get it to you.
Old September 28, 2009, 08:00 PM   #5
NRALIFER

Thanks guys, this sat here for days and no one replied so I appreciate the info. I think I'll send that email to get the factory gunsmithing and breakdown then decide if it's outside my skills.
I just got a savage bolt action for myself like it a lot but this gun has sentimental value for my son.
As to the good cleaning I agree to a point but I have cleaned it pretty well myself.

Last edited by NRALIFER; September 28, 2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old September 28, 2009, 08:57 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

You have a broken ejector trip, a very common problem with those guns. the ejector trip holds the ejector back until the breechblock falls and trips the lower end, which pulls the ejector trip out of engagement with the ejector, which then snaps back, throwing out the fired case.

Check www.gunpartscorp.com for the part, which will run around $5 if they have it.

Be very careful in disassembling that gun. Make sure you remove the lever before trying to remove the large bolt pivot pin or you can get things stuck very badly.

Jim
Old September 28, 2009, 09:31 PM   #7
NRALIFER

Thanks I was thinking that was the problem but don't think I got it across. I have heard these rifles are hard to take down, I'm pretty patient and very careful when working on firearms.
I have Numrich bookmarked Thanks