The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 17, 2001, 01:46 PM   #1
Larry Wright

Yugo Mauser

Let me preface my remarks with this is my first time taking down a rifle except for dissassembling M-14s and M-16s when I was on active duty. I just purchased a 24-47 Mauser and need to get all the cosmoline off it and generally clean it up. How far do I need to break it down and is there a schematic out there for it? The little schematic that came with it just addresses the bolt. Many thanks in advance. Larry Wright
Old November 17, 2001, 09:12 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Really, cleaning the bolt and receiver is about all you need to do. But if you want to disassemble further, remove the floorplate, magazine spring and follower by inserting a bullet point into the hole at the rear of the floorplate, pushing in and pulling back. The floorplate will come off.

Then use a bullet point or a punch to press in the lock in the front barrel band and slide the band off to the front. (If the rifle has the Vz-24 front sight wings, they must be removed by loosening the screw.) Then press in on the band spring to remove the rear band. If there is a screw through it, you will need to make a split screwdriver by filing an old slot blade screwdriver. Remove the screw, if present, and slide the band forward and off.

Then, look under the action. There are two large screws, with lock screws. Turn the lock screws until the larger screws will turn, then unscrew them. The barrel and action will now lift out of the stock. To remove the handguard, remove the screw in front of the rear sight and lift up on the handguard.

This should allow you to get at all the cosmoline, which, incidentally, has been protecting the rifle. I suggest you leave some on.

Jim
Old November 17, 2001, 10:01 PM   #3
Larry Wright

Thanks, Jim. The adventure begins. Larry
Old November 18, 2001, 09:11 AM   #4
Morgan

Complete schematic and breakdown instructions:

http://home.thezone.net/~k98k/K98_diss.html

I found getting the barrel bands and stock off to be the most cantenkerous part - easy (and actually fun) overall.

Have fun!
Old November 18, 2001, 07:05 PM   #5
Larry Wright

mauser

And thanks to you, also, Morgan. That's what I like about TFL; never a shortage of helpful folks. Regards, Larry Wright