The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 3, 2014, 07:10 PM   #1
JJNA

Revolver Holster Suggestions?

I recently started getting into revolvers (in the past I shot exclusively semi-auto pistols). I had not realized until then that the holster market for revolvers did not seem to offer as many choices as the semi-auto pistol market.

In particular, I've been trying to find good quality leather, kydex or hybrid holsters for my Ruger SP101 2 1/4 inch barrel (OWB and IWB) and for my S&W 686 4 inch barrel (OWB).

The only viable choices I found were from Simply Rugged Holsters. I am ready to give the company's products a shot, but are there other good quality choices? What about "fully-boned" custom makers? Kydex? Hybrid (leather backing/Kydex shell)?
Old June 3, 2014, 07:31 PM   #2
JERRYS.

side guard rigs are good. galco fletch is good as well.
Old June 4, 2014, 11:10 AM   #3
SSA

El Paso Saddlery, Bianchi, DeSantis.
Just Googled Amazon for SP101 holster and got 1400 results.
Old June 4, 2014, 12:06 PM   #4
twobit

I have several Simply Rugged holsters for several guns (revolvers and semi-autos). They are not "fancy/pretty" holsters. They are good, affordable, well made, comfortable holsters. Buy one of his pancake or silver dollar pancakes and see for yourself. His belts are excellent also. A good sturdy belt is half the equation. Mernickle has some good holsters also that are fancier. I have one of those for a single action revolver.
Old June 4, 2014, 05:52 PM   #5
JJNA

I'd like to try Simply Rugged Holsters. What make me hesitate are multiple reports of the holsters bleeding color. What has been your experience?
Old June 5, 2014, 03:54 AM   #6
JimmyR

JJNA, I just bought a Simply Rugged holster. I purchased it for my Model 65 3" barrel, and think it's a great holster. I picked it because it works well for OWB or IWB with it's "Inside Out" straps. I have not had any issues with the dye bleeding, either worn inside or outside of the waistband.

I paid approximately $92 for the holster, the straps, and shipping. Well worth the money.
Old June 5, 2014, 05:08 AM   #7
Pond, James Pond

I have a Simply Rugged "Sourdough Pancake" () holster for my chunky Ruger Redhawk. Does a great job OWB.

I also have a Galco Softuk for my .38 Snub (it is designed for a Model 60, but used for an Astra). This is also very good. I used to wear it at 4-5 o'clock, but have switched to appendix carry. Very comfortable. Only exceptions are the moments of "awareness of my vulnerability" when tying shoe-laces, and being more aware of the gun when seated for driving.

I don't know if either of those are holster related rather than position related.
Old June 5, 2014, 01:14 PM   #8
weblance

BlackHawk! makes an excellent OWB Leather holster for the 4" S&W 686. Its about $50. I have one for my GP100 and its a great holster.
Old June 5, 2014, 01:25 PM   #9
Madcap_Magician

Honestly your google-fu is weak. Offhand I can think of at least a dozen companies who make holsters for an SP101.

Crossbreed, Alien Gear, Galco, DeSantis, Don Hume, Side Guard, El Paso, Simply Rugged, Lobo Gunleather, Blackhawk, Milt Sparks, TT Gunleather, Brigade Gunleather...
Old June 5, 2014, 04:19 PM   #10
Onward Allusion

I like the Galco Silhouette High Ride for CC'ing.
Old June 5, 2014, 05:30 PM   #11
Garycw

In not a fan if Kydex. Leather or nylon I feel are better choice. Don Hume holsters are a good quality and reasonably priced option. Option for revolvers.