The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 4, 2001, 12:39 PM   #1
Kobra

Differences in a Light A-5??

I found one I like and wanted to know the difference in a Light A-5. I assume less weight but from where? Are there any special considerations to these. I plan to refinish the wood and put a Hastings barrel in it.
Old October 5, 2001, 03:04 PM   #2
Kobra

No answers, aye? I hate it when I ask good questions. Well according to Hastings' site their barrels fit either a standard or Light A-5. So the differences must be minor. Still wonder what they are.
Old October 5, 2001, 03:22 PM   #3
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Kobra
There are some Browing Auto 5's that were made with an alloy reciever and that may be the difference. Several other companies made the Auto 5 patent in the alloy receivers as well.

HJN
Old October 8, 2001, 09:52 AM   #4
DLF

Browning used the term "light" to denote that those A-5's shot regular shells, not magnum. There is very little "light" about an A-5 12 gauge, but they are great guns.

Good Shooting,
Old October 8, 2001, 11:50 AM   #5
Kobra

Thanks for the info.
Old October 10, 2001, 10:32 PM   #6
particlebeam

Light twelve

The forearm wood is lighter (thinner) and the early Light Twelves came with a plain barrel, but how much can a vent rib weigh anyhow? The difference between a standard and a Light Twelve is just a few ounces. The standard twelve ga had no special markings, the "Light Twelve" was marked as such, and the "Magnum" version is exactly what you think it is.
Old October 11, 2001, 10:08 AM   #7
BigG

The Light Twelve Automatic 5s had metal removed from the inside of the receiver in certain areas. No noticeable difference on outside except marking "Light Twelve." HTH
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC