The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 1, 2011, 08:34 PM   #1
zfk55

Brass Sorters

Assume that the price was very reasonable. If you're a dedicated brass sorter, would you buy a cartridge tray like this? It's made of 1" thick Sintra with rows 10 deep. There is a space between rows 5 and 6 for the running weight ID.
The finished product would have a blank space at the beginning of row and and then be engraved with .01' .02. .03 etc up to .09, and then begin with the next whole weight number as in 170.0 etc. Only the 1/10th grain increments would be engraved. The whole figure would be left open to identify as you saw fit. This one is a full three grain spread.

So waddaya think? Useful? This one has masking tape along the rows with the increments written in marker. A finished product would have those 1/10th increments engraved.

NOTE: We don't sell to the public. I'm just testing the waters for interest.

An'' ole' Brer' Rabbit, he set in de bushes, he watch an' he wait, lay low an' he don' say nuffin'
Old December 1, 2011, 08:52 PM   #2
Vance

Why would you sort your brass according to weight? That seems a little OCD'ish to me.
Old December 1, 2011, 08:53 PM   #3
physikal

Wow!

I have never been that anal about my brass and I have been able to shoot 3 rounds "almost" through the same hole at 100yds (just made it a bit bigger). But I'm sure it's useful to some people out there no doubt!

Good luck to ya!
Old December 1, 2011, 09:41 PM   #4
farmerboy

I wouldn't spend my money that way

Last edited by farmerboy; December 1, 2011 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Just because
Old December 1, 2011, 09:48 PM   #5
4runnerman

ZFK-- I also sort my brass,but i just use plastic containers. I don't sort to the 1/10 grain any more either. This would have to be after you trim,chamfer and clean primer pockets,Right?. If you are dealing with 1/10 grain. Trimming will make that much difference in weight. I now sort by 1 gn and worry more about case length than wt. Looks nice though. It's ( IMHO ) not being anal,It's being consistant. Keep it up.
Old December 1, 2011, 10:06 PM   #6
Jim243

Interesting, you might find more acceptance by shooters on 6mmBR's web site. They are a bit more picky then us here on TFL.

Jim

http://www.6mmbr.com/index.html
Old December 1, 2011, 11:39 PM   #7
FM12

"A foolish consistancy is the hobgoblin of a little mind" Henry Davis Thoreau

Just saying is all.
Old December 2, 2011, 06:41 AM   #8
4runnerman

A foolish consistancy is the hobgoblin of a little mind" Henry Davis Thoreau

Consistancy--- It is the key to accuracy.Everything the same from one to the other. It goes hand in hand with, pocket uniformer,flash hole deburring,trimming,chamfering,ect,ect. Quarter size groups at 100 yards is not impressive to say the least. Like i say,I don't do it to the 1/10 grain,but i do 1 gn. I have 2000 - 223 cases all either 93 or 94 gn's. I sell all the rest.
It all depends on how accurate you want to be.

Last edited by 4runnerman; December 2, 2011 at 07:16 AM.
Old December 2, 2011, 07:13 AM   #9
darkgael

Quote:
Henry Davis Thoreau
Middle name = David.

The quote, actually, is by Ralph Waldo Emerson from his essay "Self Reliance".
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.."
But not by target shooters. Consistency is the bottom line, not foolish at all.
Pete

Last edited by darkgael; December 2, 2011 at 07:22 AM.
Old December 2, 2011, 08:20 AM   #10
LAH

That board Sir is a work of art. Very well done. I could see it used as a massive loading block. While I'm not big on sorting brass by weight, I could see it having other uses. One of those with 10 rows of 10 or 5 rows of 20 would better suit my needs. And what about shipping? The size of the block would matter. Of course one could be made to fold or hindge or perhaps even come apart in the middle with some type of dowell set up. Just thinking here.

Again, fine work.
Old December 2, 2011, 08:52 AM   #11
zfk55

Thanks. We specialize in load data gathering for Swiss Rifles and long range shooting. After three years of careful sorting and some 4,000+ comparatives, there's an absolute and repeatable difference in group sizes between both sorted and non sorted brass and bullet combinations, and yes, we do it for long range particularly.
When we weigh finished cartridges and (by groups of 5 and 10) find no more than a 2/10ths spread between all 10 of them, it definitley shows on our targets.
We also trim meplats and re-point with 175 Berger VLD's and 175 SMK's.

The two rifles in question for us are a custom AR10 already proven at 1,000 yards, and a Don McCoy single shot High Masters M1 Garand, but it also shows with our Swiss Rifles.

Hinging it would be simple.

*Forgot to add that we also sort projectiles by weight after meplat trimming. We end up with groups of 10 loaded cartridges with no more than 2/10ths of a grain difference between all of them. Don't try convincing me that it's an excercise in futility because I can easily prove you wrong, especially out beyond 500 yards.

An'' ole' Brer' Rabbit, he set in de bushes, he watch an' he wait, lay low an' he don' say nuffin'

Last edited by zfk55; December 2, 2011 at 09:57 AM.