The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 9, 2009, 07:48 PM   #1
M&P40

Dillon 650

I'm looking at purchasing a new Dillon 650 press. Looking for some feedback from anybody who owns one. Likes dislikes? Any optional accessories you recommend? Thank you!
Old July 9, 2009, 08:38 PM   #2
Shoney

What cartridges and in what volumes (numbers per week, or month, or year) will you be reloading?
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old July 9, 2009, 09:51 PM   #3
Hydraulicman

is this your first progressive?

It's an awesome machine capable of churning out 1000 rounds an hour.

you might read this if you have not already

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillon.html
Old July 9, 2009, 10:21 PM   #4
Farmland

The 650 is a pretty great machine that I have had since around 1994. I reload 380, 9mm, 38 Special, 357 Mag, 40 S&W and 45. I use it to load as little as 50 or as much as a thousand at one time.

I haven't had any problems with it so I am pretty happy with it. The case feeder would be nice however I just could never part with the money they want for it. The tube holds enough cases to get into a nice flow. I don't have the strong mount though other say it si a nice addition. I still have the original handle I have been meaning to add the updated one since 1994.

To me changing from large to small primers is pretty easy. Changing calibers takes no more than about 5 minutes for me unless you have to go from large to small primers.

I think the caliber conversion kits are over priced for what is included. However is money was an issue I don't think you would be looking at the 650.

I love the auto indexing, once I had it I just can't ever go back to the 550 and lack of auto indexing.

A lot of people want to tell you what to get on the bases of how much you are going to reload. However I always said get what you want and if a few hundred dollars between machines is going to break you then you are in the wrong hobby. Now with that said loading up for all the handguns that I reload with the 650 does add to the cost. If you go Dillon and want to just change heads then your cost per caliber adds real fast.

I will give you an example of a short cut. If you notice I don't load my 44mag with the 650. Instead I load on a single stage press. I don't shoot the 44 mag as much as I do the others. Well after loading the last 100 rounds I am going to spring for the conversion kit, etc for the 650. Taking an hour or more for 100 rounds just isn't as much fun as it use to be. I would be able to do these is about 20 mins on the 650. I will admit I still take my time with the 650.

The SD and the 550 are both nice machines too. However I am not going to tell you to go with one over the other by how much your going to reload because I feel the 650 just does it a little better. To me that is worth the extra cost. Though the 550 can do the most types of rifle cartridges.

Now I have never had one primer issue with my machine. They have feed correctly and safely every time and I couldn't even begin to tell you how many I have seated in the past 15 years. I never had anything break though I am a little more gentle and don't try to break and speed records.

Now there are other colors out there with different prices and from what I can tell they will do the same thing as the blue one. Some are even cheaper than the 650. However The 650 has had a lot of users and most problems have been worked out.

If you want some additional feed back try this link, they all use the blue one.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showforum=78

So unless your on a tight budget in my opinion don't let the total decison on what machine to buy rest solely on the number or rounds you are going to reload. I know I sure miss the 650 when it comes to loading my 44 mag right now even if I only load a few hundred rounds a year.

Now here is a link from a person that did a comparison on the three top loaders including the Dillon 650.

http://www.comrace.ca/cmfiles/dillon...Comparison.pdf
Old July 9, 2009, 10:27 PM   #5
Farmland

New Castle I just noticed that, I was just below you today in Zelienople.
Old July 9, 2009, 10:50 PM   #6
csmsss

There's no question about it - the Dillon 650 is an awesome press and will give you excellent results. I'd be remiss, however, if I did not also recommend the Hornady Lock N Load AP press. Runs quite a bit less than the Dillon, and does an awesome job too.
Old July 9, 2009, 11:18 PM   #7
Dimebag

Dude... Dillon that's it!

I don't own a 650 but I do own a SDB and love it. Buy a Dillon press and try and be disappointed... it won't happen. Go crazy man!!! yep 3 ! points
Old July 9, 2009, 11:35 PM   #8
CraigC

Love my 650 but I'm really glad I learned on a turret.
Old July 10, 2009, 01:01 AM   #9
73-Captain

Dillon 650

"Runs quite a bit less than the Dillon..."

Don't believe this internet BS.

Do your own cost comparison for both equipped the way you want it.

Equiped the SAME the prices are virtually the SAME!!!

When I did my cost comparison the price difference was only $9.00.

C.
Old July 10, 2009, 04:04 AM   #10
M&P40

Thanks to everyone who responded. To answer some questions asked earlier My primary calibers to reload are .40sw, 9mm, and 45acp and this will be my 1st progressive. Mastercast bullet Company is very close to my house and he sells these so I save on shipping plus he has been a big help. He uses these to reload for his business so that says alot.