The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 20, 2009, 06:30 AM   #1
btmonnat

O/U Hinge Pin Grease Advice ''Please''

I have just purchased a Browning Citori XT Trap. This is the most money I have ever spent on a gun and I want to make it stay tight. What is the best grease or lube you guys use on your hinge pin, receiver knuckle etc. and where can it be purchased. Thanks for your input in advance.
Old April 20, 2009, 07:39 AM   #2
jaymce

Any good firearm grease should suit your needs.

I use several types depending on condition. In the summer I tend to go with a little Mobil One Synthetic Grease as I have it around for the cars. I have also found in the winter I will use a little Snap On air tool oil (again as it is around). Both work great for me.

My Cynergy seems at tight on about its 5000 round as it did on its first.
Old April 20, 2009, 08:55 AM   #3
oletymer

Any good grease will work. I prefer the synthetic greases also. Currently I use Triflow. I use it year round as oil does not cling to the metal as well.
Old April 20, 2009, 09:26 AM   #4
oneounceload

RIG, Shooter's Choice, Gunslick are also good ones to look at
Old April 20, 2009, 10:08 AM   #5
zippy13

Many of the up-scale O/U comp shooters will use only the specialty product S.T.O.S. (Slicker Than Owl S**t) from the Ponsness/Warren reloader folks. I've used it and RIG (standard and type P) and Mobil 1. I went to the synthetic more to protect the engraved in-the-white receiver of one of my guns than for it's lubricating properties.

Years ago, I asked Lucio, the Perazzi factory wizard, just what was the lubricant he was brushing on my guns' friction points. His answer: A 50/50 mixture of Vaseline and 30W non-detergent motor oil. It's not so much what grease you use but how you use it. Most comp shooters keep their O/Us in a hard case, so it's broken down and wiped down every time they shoot. So, the grease doesn't have to be long lasting. There's a gun club ritual: long after the stick guns have been stuffed into their cloth sacks, and their owners hit the highway, the comp shooters are still beavering away at their O/Us.
Old April 20, 2009, 11:54 AM   #6
BigJimP

I use Rig Universal Grease - partly because its clear ( I don't want a bunch of black gunk all over my gun ). You can still get it from most of the bigger sporting goods places Cabellas, etc. - but I see Brownells no longer carries it .... the company may not be doing well ...

I think I would use Shooters Choice if I couldn't find any RIG. RIG Oil in a spray can is a nice product too ( for internals on the XT ) / it'll be sad sad if they've gone under.

I use it pretty liberally on the bar, the other mating surfaces and especially the ears (at the top forward end of the receiver) - but like Zippy said, every time I get home, I clean the gun and regrease the barrel connection - put the gun together and put it back in my safe.

Congratulations on the XT by the way - I think they're very good and very strong Trap guns

Last edited by BigJimP; April 20, 2009 at 12:24 PM.
Old April 20, 2009, 12:26 PM   #7
BigJimP

With all due respect to my friend Zippy - you don't want to use Vaseline and motor oil ( and make that nice new Browning ....smell like a Perazzi ..) That would be a sin ...
Old April 20, 2009, 01:37 PM   #8
zippy13

BigJim,
Since then, Perazzi came out with a special lube -- black, nasty, and tenacious. I used it once. Wiping off the excess, I couldn't avoid getting the stuff all over the place. It wouldn't come out of my clothes, so Mrs. Zippy 86ed the stuff.

You're probably right about not using Vaseline & oil on a Browning. It may not be thick enough to bridge the imperfections in a typical B-gun.

Pete
Old April 20, 2009, 01:47 PM   #9
BigJimP

You're probably right Zippy - but I'm just not good enough to shoot a Perazzi .... like you .... ( I'd have to have new shells / wear a clean T shirt, wash my vest, get a new hat, wear better gloves .... it would be a real hassle .....)

I will stick with my Brownings ....and RIG as long as I can get it .... ( but the best news is we have a Sunny week in paradise ....) - good shooting to you my friend.

I may even take an XT to the range tomorrow along with a Skeet gun ...(just because I can ..). I've been on a new diet for a week ( if it tastes good, spit it out ...) so I'm a little crabby ....( a little more than usual ...).
Old April 20, 2009, 02:28 PM   #10
btmonnat

Hey guys called Browning to see what they recommended. They said white lithium and when you see it getting dirty wipe off and lube again. Thanks for all your help. This forum is great wished I would have found it sooner. I am quite new to trap shooting but the way this gun fits me I think I'm hooked.
Old April 20, 2009, 02:38 PM   #11
zippy13

BigJim
With the prolonged winter you've had this year, those Skeets have been kicking-back in their cartons way too long and developing attitudes. It's up to you to get aggressive and turn about 100 of them into nothing but smoke so they'll have a quicker trip to the hereafter.

btmonnat

It's time to get a mess of shells and start breaking-in that Browning bad boy.

Pete

Last edited by zippy13; April 20, 2009 at 08:29 PM. Reason: CT4S
Old April 20, 2009, 06:05 PM   #12
perazzimx14

Thank goodness we have another what oil/grease is the best thread.

The answer to what lube is superior for my O/U is ........like asking how long is a piece of string. Every lube has it strong and weak points. What really counts is cleaning old lube off your gun and faithfully re-applying new lube.

Vasoline surely is an acceptable lube for firearms as is motor oil, gun grease, bearing grease, 3 in one oil, WD-40, bacon grease and any other slippery substance known to man or beast.

I have used Perazzi grease and TriFlow oil on my Perazzi in the past. Either has done its job as my gun has around 60,000 rounds through it and it is still tight. My secret is clean off all old lube every and re-apply every 300 targets for a regular ATA event and 500 rounds during marathon events.

This isn't rocket science!
Old April 20, 2009, 09:15 PM   #13
publius

White lithium usually b/c that's what is usually in the grease gun in my shop. If not I still use whatever is in the grease gun.
Old April 20, 2009, 10:32 PM   #14
mr kablammo

Briley's Choke Tube Lube. K-Slik from Krieghoff.
Old April 20, 2009, 11:53 PM   #15
olddrum1

STOS by Ponsness Warren. Does not get any better. A little pricey and got to special order the stuff but well worth it. If anything would make my old Brownings smell and look like a Perrazi then I would buy a case of the stuff.
Old April 21, 2009, 10:13 AM   #16
BigJimP

Come on now Oldrum .........take 2 asprin, take a little nap ...and you'll feel a lot better about your Brownings ....( I want to smell like a lot of things, and do mostly, but not a Perazzi ...). Shoot those Brownings with pride !