The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 15, 2001, 11:09 PM   #1
Dave R

Favorite Dove Recipe?

I got lucky. Now I need a good recipe. Help?

Best one I found with the "search" was a slice of jalapeno between two dove breasts, wrapped in bacon and grilled over mesquite. No mesquite here in Idaho

I just gotta tell ya, I had a "mini cast & blast" today.

First day of Chukar season, so I intended to go out early. Coupla days ago, I stumbled across a big flock near the informal range I like to shoot at. I was gonna hit 'em at first light.

Well, I slept in. I needed it. Then had to do the chores. A garbage bag and a half of weeding. Smog the cars. The old one wouldn't pass. Replaced plugs & plug wires, adjusted timing & mixture, changed oil while I'm at it, it passed.

I'm ready to head out at 5:30 but my sweetie says dinner will be ready in "a minute". Then I need to drop off the videos on my way...so I leave at 6:30pm. Worried not enough time to hunt, so I threw my waders & fly rod in the car.

Took the "new" Brazilian 20 ga double I picked up at a dutch auction. I'd never hunted with it, and I figured the odds of success were low, with so little time, so might as well take the "fun gun" instead of the serious 12 ga.

Well, I got to the informal range and there was a family shooting right where the flock had been. Bummer. So I headed up the road a little further, and decided to walk a promising stretch of wild sunflowers.

I took about 5 steps, and about 20 dove flushed. We never have dove here after the season opens! They head south! But there they were. Problem is, I'm too close to the road and they flushed toward the road. Shooting across a road is a no-no here.

More walking, and finally got a few to flush toward the hills, missed 2 shots. Bad pointing on my part.

Walked the other side of the road, hoping to flush the ones that headed there earlier.

One flushed toward the road, but it saw a car (leaving) and turned back toward me. Awrighty! A clean shot! Got it.

I was almost back to the car, and decided that's it for me.

'Course, on the way back home I stopped at the river and caught 3 trout just before it went completely dark.

I was home by 8:45.

I love living in Idaho.

Next on the list: more dove, and those Chuckar!
Old September 15, 2001, 11:28 PM   #2
Sisco

Persnally, I don't care for dove. Tastes too much like liver!
Try these sites:
http://www.justgamerecipes.com/index.htm
http://www.kern.com/~dfisher/recipe.html
Old September 16, 2001, 05:31 AM   #3
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

I do like Dove. I usually fillet the breasts and store them until I have enough for a good meal.

Many ways to fix'em - just remember that wild game has little fat and needs moisture to remain tender.

I enjoy frying the fillets like chicken or sauteing them in white wine or baking them in a rice dish. Hard to screw them up as long as you don't over cook them.

Giz
Old September 16, 2001, 06:47 PM   #4
Fuzzy

Every year I tell myself that I'm going to find a dove recipe that I'll like, and every year the pets get a good meal.

This year I maranated them in worchestire sauce, wrapped them in bacon and baked them in the oven. The bacon didn't even tase good.

If I go out for dove again, the birds will go home with someone else.
Old September 16, 2001, 09:11 PM   #5
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

For each dozen or so doves take 2 big onions and one medium bell pepper, and chop them up. Take the doves and coat them with a good seasoning mix. If you can get Tony Cacheries Cajun seasoning great if not use salt, garlic powder, and ground red pepper. Take about 3 or 4 tablespoons of cooking oil and put it in a big skillet (Magnalite is great if you dont have some use cast iron). Heat the oil till its damn hot and then brown the hell out of the doves in it. If the center of the pot looks a little black with the cooked seasoning thats fine to.After the doves are good and brown remove them and add the onions and bell peppers, and cook them down. After the onions are about transparent put the doves back on and add a good bit of water. If the color of the gravy is kind of light (not very brown) add a little Kitchen Bouquet to darken it. CAUTION a cap full of this stuff is probably too much! DON"T over do it. Cover the pot and cook it on medium heat till the doves are good and tender. You should have a lot of gravy. Cook a pot of rice and put the gravy on it, and eat that with the doves.
Old September 17, 2001, 06:41 PM   #6
Dave R

That sounds like a mighty good recipe. Thanks.
Old September 18, 2001, 08:42 PM   #7
CD1

Marinate dove breasts in Italian Dressing with crushed black pepper in it. Let them soak for 3-5 days.

Wrap with bacon

Cook on grill

Done. Dee-lish-us.

Southla1...That sounds like one tasty recipe. I will try that. I figure anyone from Louisianna knows what they're talkin' about when it comes to cookin'.
Old September 18, 2001, 10:35 PM   #8
KilgorII

Had dove potpie last night. Darn good. Just use your favorite chicke potpie recipe and substitute dove, fileted out of course.

Kilgor

Old September 19, 2001, 04:48 PM   #9
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

Thanks for the kind words CD1.................if the cook don't get too much wine in him and burn em they are pretty good the way I mentioned.

A dove and fresh oyster gumbo is damn good too...........

The way I mentioned to cook the doves is also a good way to cook lots of small game.......... rabbit, tree rats, etc.

If one looks at my waitsline one will know that I may not be an expert at cooking but certainly am at EATING!
Old September 20, 2001, 12:19 AM   #10
rock_jock

KilgorII:

Fillet them out? Are you sure you don't dump the entire bird in the pie, feathers and all?
Old September 20, 2001, 01:05 AM   #11
KilgorII

Ahh rockjock you're just cranky cause you have to smell all those paper mills down there in SE Texas...

Old September 23, 2001, 07:27 PM   #12
Drundel

I got a new one at a hunt this weekend. Take the breasts and roll it in garlic powder and/or Tony Sachry (sp?) and then do the bacon and japleno trick.

Or take a zesty fish fry and add in Tony Sachry and then roll the doves it in and deep fry 'em.

Texas A&M University
Proud member of the Fighting Class of '00
Old October 22, 2001, 10:23 AM   #13
DLF

Doves do taste like liver to a very great extent. I like to put a half strip of bacon around each breast and cook on the grill. Regular charcoal is fine.

Good Shooting,
Old October 22, 2001, 11:23 AM   #14
Drundel

New one, tried this last night.

Take the doves and cut slits in the breats and put in a piece of jalapeno and onion on each side, do the bacon trick.

Then get an oven bag, some white wine and again Tony Sachry. But the birds in the bag and fill it so the wine is about an inch deep. Dust the birds in flour and Tony Sachry and put them in the bag, and put in some butter in the wine. If you like it spicy put in the seeds of the jalapeno in the wine. Put in oven for 1.5 to 2 hours at 350. The wine sauce is very good over rice.

Texas A&M University
Old October 22, 2001, 03:04 PM   #15
Dave R

Shoot, Drundel! The Dove are all gone now. It got cold. Now I'll have to wait till next year to try that recipe.

Sounds mighty good, though.
Old October 22, 2001, 03:48 PM   #16
Drundel

My brother and I shot 6 on Saturday. One more weekend before it closes till Janurary. It should work on duck too.

Texas A&M University
Old October 22, 2001, 08:41 PM   #17
Mad Max

we always stuff the birds w/ jalepeno and onion and wrap in bacon and grill, but my grandmother made dove gumbo one time, and it was delicious, especially over rice. I think it was all the regular ingredients of gumbo, just w/ dove breasts. Try it sometime. Its good.

"I don't mind it when stupid people say stupid things. Stupid people should be encouraged to say stupid things, that way we always know who the stupid people are." ~ Ted Nugent - Fox News, 2002.

"A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death."
[Albert Einstein, "Religion and Science", New York Times Magazine, 9 November 1930]
Old October 24, 2001, 01:01 PM   #18
Long Path

Here I present you my favorite dove recipe, of my own design:

First, fillet the breasts. Best use a sharp paring knife. Cut each side in half or thirds. Put in a bowl of water as you do this, rinsing occasionally. Often you will have some shot drop out during this step, which is part of the beauty of cutting up the filleted breasts.

Next, marinate the breasts. Cover them with soy, brown sugar, garlic (fresh is better than powder), and lots of ginger (again, fresh is better than powder). If you have sherry or rice wine, toss a bit of that in, too. Let sit for a couple of hours (minimum) in the 'fridge, covered.

Slice up a bunch of jalepenoes. I'm partial to fresh, but canned are fine, so long as you drain them well. Also dice up a couple of large hot yellow onions. Not 10-14 or Vidalias, just good ole hot onions.

Get a large skillet or wok ready by heating to a medium high temp with light layer of oil (I like peanut oil). Pull the breasts from the marinade (but save the marinade!), and fry them up. Don't go crazy here-- overcooking makes them tough, and there's no need for that. When they've been in for a couple of minutes, throw in your jalapenoes and onions. Then pour in your marinade, and reduce it. Thicken slightly with corn starch or flower, until the sauce is a slightly thick brown gravy.

Serve over fluffy basmati, jasmine, or similar long-grain white rice.

I've never found anyone who didn't like this dish.

Enjoy!

L.P.